Stargate reboot make the SG1 team international?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Nyotarules, May 21, 2021.

1. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, I'm still holding out for a better release. There were a lot of weird mastering errors with this one with the audio, and the picture on the HD seasons had some unneeded post-processing and sharpening (which isn't as much of an issue for SGA and the first season of SGU, which were already released on blu-ray so this re-release isn't the only option for seeing those episodes in HD). Gateworld has a pretty comprehensive overview of the pros and cons.

2. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Could it be with how the old Stargate shows were filmed? I mean the show did start in the 90's.

3. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

The first seven seasons of SG-1 were mastered in SD and enlarged for the blu-ray. It's not the greatest example of the technique, but it's fine. The issue I have is the seasons that were already in HD, and have been released in HD (either on BR for SGA/SGU, or Amazon or iTunes for the last three seasons of SG-1) had extra noise reduction and digital processing done on them that they don't need.

And the audio tracks are just a mess. The episodes already had 5.1 audio mixes that were used on the DVDs, but for some reason, this new BR release mostly uses the two-channel stereo mixes and says they're 5.1 audio. It's not mentioned in the article I linked, but I seem to recall the really strange part was that season 1's DVDs didn't have 5.1 audio, but this release did have a true 5.1 mix for that season, so they improved the one season that was sub-standard originally, and made the other seasons worse. It's strange. There's somebody on Reddit who set up a whole automated process to rip the old DVDs and the new Blu Rays, and combine the audio from one with the video from the other, but I don't have time for that nonsense (and I've got time for a lot of nonsense).