Stargate Atlantis CANCELLED

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by James Bond, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

It is sad we won't get to learn more about the alternate reality baddies (wraith?). They seemed to be a lot better than our current reality wraith, especially in the sense that they looked like worthy technology equals to the Ancients which makes it much more believable that they defeated the Ancients.

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

They looked like a brute race who would do anything(kamikaze run, but then again the wraith did that too) but like you said has advanced tech

or maybe the higher ups of the alien race clone brutes and that glowing red part in they're heads is like a controller. They looked like space Frankensteins

3. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Lots of theories, unfortuntely I don't think we are going to get any answers now :(

4. USS Kongo

USS Kongo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really wasn't surprised to hear this, since Atlantis has slowly been sinking since the fourth season, anyway.

However, I really like the idea of continuing both SG-1 and Atlantis as DVD movies. I enjoyed the SG-1 films.

Sean

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hate to see shows people are fans of get cancelled. I've watched the occasional episode here and there, but I would rather see this on Sci-fi than Mansquito 3: The Revenge.

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

That didn't make sense to me, either. Maybe he's assuming that after five years, the ratings drop off too much to still make it worthwhile. Well why not move to New Mexico and do more seasons because you're saving money from the start?

At the very least, it will mean no more boring pine tree planets. :rommie:

:bolian:

And have Joe Flanigan play a recurring villain on Warehouse 13 (which sounds like the kind of breezy fun show he's better suited for).

Saying this over and over doesn't make it any closer to being true. Some TV shows are male-targeted; some are female. Ultimately it depends on what advertisers want. To my knowledge, American males have not stopped spending money.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  7. Russ

Russ Vice Admiral Admiral

Despite a slight gain in viewers this season, this cancellation is completely understandable. I wrote a post about it on my site, and have included a chart that compiles the household ratings of all the episodes that have aired thus far (click to enlarge).

[​IMG]

It rebounded at the end of season four, but its just not doing nearly as well as it should be.

8. WalkinMan

WalkinMan Commodore Commodore

Thx for the chart, Russ.

IMO S1 of Atlantis was the best of the series. There were bright moments afterwards, but it was downhill from there creatively, over time. I also disliked how they offed major characters, the 'musical chairs' of rotating cast was inconsistent and hard to warm up to. Overall, I wished they had built up the main enemy, the Wraith, into a truly compelling villain and given the show a more clear goal. I'd have liked to see a different side of exploring Atlantis as well.

Still, 5 years is not a bad run, and one realizes that SG-1, especially at its peak, was lightning in a bottle--SG has now gotten franchise fatigue after 2 series, what took ST some 3-4 series to do.

9. Barbados Slim

Barbados Slim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh well, there's always Stargate Universe. Maybe Cooper and Wright will get a fresh staff with fresh ideas? Who am I kidding they're the Canadian Berman & Braga duo.

10. witchie

witchie Commodore Commodore

Nice work, Russ! You wouldn't happen to have the ratings for Eureka, would you?

S1 was the best.

11. TheInsideMan

TheInsideMan Commodore Commodore

A shame, but not too surprising really.

The show had potential and could have really pushed the way stories were told in the Gateverse (as say, DS9 revealed new, darker ways of telling stories for Trek). Season 1 and 2 were IMO, great and the closing 'the Wraith are coming' Arc for Season 1 was superb.

I gotta say however, that Season 3 was awful and despite a promising first half of Season 4, the show hasn't returned to the quality of Seasons 1 & 2. Season 5 had a lacklustre start and while the quality has picked up with the last couple of episodes, I'm not exactly crying about the cancellation. Besides, we've still got the rest of Season 5 and at least 1 movie.

12. Russ

Russ Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes I do. Click to enlarge.

[​IMG]

13. witchie

witchie Commodore Commodore

Thank you! :adore:

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It's not cancelled it's ending.

15. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Yeah. And TV series actor contracts are usually only for 5 years (presumably why we started seeing less of Jack O'Neill & Daniel Jackson in the later seasons of SG-1) but is there any reason to think that Joe Flannigan & David Hewlett would start getting significantly more expensive after Season 5?

16. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Well, that's still better than the absolute rating plummet that Star Trek: Voyager did after its first few episodes.

17. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah that was back when I could still hope/pretend that maybe SG:A would be something different - darker, sharper drama about people trapped in another galaxy and forced to survive by their wits alone. But then all that ended and the whole thing began a quick slide to become an SG-1 rehash.

That's why I'm hoping for a move to New Mexico. :D Just re-create the sets there, and leave everyone involved in production & writing behind. Send down a few SG-1 or SG:A actors every now and then for guest shots. There must be better people who could take on the Stargate mythos and do something interesting with it. New/interesting scenery would just be a bonus.

18. TheInsideMan

As in, no new episodes will be shown?

Same result.

19. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Well, not really. If I understand it properly, cancelled means a full stop. Meaning that the last four episodes that they haven't filmed yet wouldn't be filmed.

20. TheInsideMan

As in, no new episodes will be shown after Season 5? :p

Who would have thought that the Enemy at the Gate would be......MGM/SG-1 DVD Movie Sales?