News Starfleet Academy Coming to P+

Of course it would seem the actual cadets who comprise the show's main cast are all likely to be played by low-level nobodies we've never heard of. Which probably would have been the case anyway, those few actors who are established names and within the age range to play cadets would likely be out of the price range for this show, even without actors like Holly Hunter or Paul Giamatti on the show.
Harry Potter Casting Syndrome. ;)

Holly Hunter makes sense. But I am surprised at Paul Giamatti unless he is just a big Trek fan. I would think he would frankly aim higher after "The Holdovers." I mean he already did tv with "Billions" but even if he was going that route I still got to think he could do something with a little more high caliber. Granted as a villain it means he will likely only be in one season and maybe not even all the episodes. For the love of God I just hope they got something more interesting in mind than yet another Trump stand-in. Heaven knows we have had our fill of those baddies on tv and at the movies for the last 8 years or so.

My idea is he is a decent guy and teacher for the most part but gets a student killed on a training mission by accident and covers it up. Make the season arc be a murder mystery playing out in parts over a series of stand alone stories. Low stakes. No Universe in peril or any of that tired stuff. Season ends with him not being caught but being inspired by Tilly to tell the truth and accept the consequences because his guilt is killing him on the inside.

Holly Hunter makes sense. But I am surprised at Paul Giamatti unless he is just a big Trek fan. I would think he would frankly aim higher after "The Holdovers." I mean he already did tv with "Billions" but even if he was going that route I still got to think he could do something with a little more high caliber. Granted as a villain it means he will likely only be in one season and maybe not even all the episodes. For the love of God I just hope they got something more interesting in mind than yet another Trump stand-in. Heaven knows we have had our fill of those baddies on tv and at the movies for the last 8 years or so.

My idea is he is a decent guy and teacher for the most part but gets a student killed on a training mission by accident and covers it up. Make the season arc be a murder mystery playing out in parts over a series of stand alone stories. Low stakes. No Universe in peril or any of that tired stuff. Season ends with him not being caught but being inspired by Tilly to tell the truth and accept the consequences because his guilt is killing him on the inside.
The article quotes Kurtzman saying Giamatti is a Trek fan

Back