Spoilers Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Commander Richard, Dec 10, 2017.

?

Grade the movie.

1. A+

13.8%
  2. A

17.6%
  3. A-

14.8%
  4. B+

13.8%
  5. B

7.2%
  6. B-

6.6%
  7. C+

3.1%
  8. C

5.9%
  9. C-

5.9%
  10. D+

1.4%
  11. D

2.1%
  12. D-

2.8%
  13. F

5.2%
  1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

They were certainly not the type of fan fiction that I would write. So, no, it's not a 1-to-1 causal relationship.

2. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

It's Fake Media.

3. fireproof78

Let me help you out:
    [​IMG]

That's better :D

Qonundrum likes this.
  4. INACTIVESamusAranX

INACTIVESamusAranX Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ok then, so don’t answer my questions and respectfully outline why you disagree. Since you can’t come up with an actual coherent response I’m gonna assume you don’t have the ability to form one. It’s ok to dislike a film, but not able to respond and articulate as to why seriously invalidates your argument. Then again I shouldn’t bother; Hela already dissected your post

5. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

There is nothing about this statement that is in any way factual or even fact-based.

I'm not sure you understand what the word "fanfiction" means.

TFA and TLJ are both fictional things that were made by fans, but they are not fanfiction because, whether you like it or not, they are officially sanctioned by Lucasfilm... which makes them the opposite of fanfiction.

Kor, Campe and Grendelsbayne like this.
  6. EnsignRicky

Stop asking me why I think this movie is a piece of crap. I'd have an easier time answering why water is wet; it just is.
    Besides, for all I know in a month or two you could just flop back to an F again and I'll have wasted even more of my time trying to explain it to you.

starsuperion likes this.
  7. DigificWriter

Publicly stating an opinion means you have to be ready, willing, and able to explain said opinion. Otherwise, it's just useless noise.

The fact that you can't or won't actually try to justify your opinion regarding The Last Jedi means that you're basically just trolling.

Campe likes this.
  8. EnsignRicky

Publicly stating blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah....
    Uh oh, looks like the hall monitor is here. Did anybody hear the bell ring?

starsuperion likes this.
  9. DigificWriter

And there goes any shreds of credibility you might still have had.

10. EnsignRicky

Well at least I still have a shred of dignity.
    Which is more than I can say for you, keeping this nonsense going.
    It's like a shave and a haircut. And your two bits.

11. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh FFS, ITS JUST A MOVIE!

I love Star Wars. I really enjoyed The Last Jedi. I get some people didn’t. And to a point, I understand why. It’s not a perfect movie. But I get really sick of the hyperbole around it where there are those who infer that the movie killed their cat. If you don’t like it and don’t want to actually participate in a debate, say your piece and move on. I’m tired of this trolling. You add nothing to the conversation other than vitriol. It’s tiresome.

Kor, fireproof78 and Grendelsbayne like this.
  12. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

What? It’s a real spelling of the name

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rian

The fact you won't answer makes me think you don’t know why you hate it.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    INACTIVESamusAranX and Campe like this.
  13. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Warning for trolling due to these posts: comments to PM

14. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

For "Fantastic", right?

^ There's a TLJ Luke quote that would be appropriate here. You know the one.

First of all, everyone has "meddling chrlorines"; so sayeth The Phantom Menace. But TLJ did absolutely nothing new in this context. There was no opening up of the franchise or anything like that. The Force sensitives in the sequel trilogy are still special people. It is still noteworthy to say that someone is strong in the Force, as opposed to a meaningless statement. Luke emphasizes the difference between Kylo & Rey and the norm. Nothing was changed.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  15. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Or fun ;)

16. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I think in decades to come, TLJ will be remembered as the best film of the franchise. It’s the first Star Wars movie that was actually about something other than Star Wars. It’s packed with ideas that could spawn countless stories that all go in different and interesting directions. I don’t get the hate it receives, it’s the first movie of the franchise that isn’t just fluff and mindless action adventure.

Campe and Grendelsbayne like this.
  17. INACTIVESamusAranX

INACTIVESamusAranX Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have to respectfully disagree. While the movie has improved for me, there are still quite many flaws. For one, you said it isn’t full of “fluff” and “mindless adventure”. The Canto Bight sequence is the poster child for such. And while I agree it presents very interesting ideas, the execution varies, and the movie is quite clear in what seems to be a internal contradiction; it’s goes to great lengths to deconstruct but then seemingly back pedals by reaffirming the old guard: the Jedi will stay, etc.

Interpretations will vary. I think that’s a strength for the movie; it spawned discussion.

18. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

While I agree that the discussion that TLJ has brought on has been amazing, I find it interesting that you bring forward the idea of "fluff" when describing Canto Bight. I certainly agree that it is the weakest part of the film, but I think its trying to discuss the idea of class inequality, something that I believe is very important to address these days. Did it to it well? Um... not really. It was a little too hamfisted in that storyline. But it tried. And I give it credit for that.

As for the deconstruction of the old ways, you're absolutely right in suggesting that it reverses that in the end. But let's think about it for a second what actually happened here. Rey rejected Luke's message of trying to stop Ben Solo. But what happens in the end? Luke sacrifices himself for the good of his friends and Rey takes the sacred Jedi texts. Luke, while saving the galaxy, still had a connection to the Jedi Order of the Republic. The training from Obi-Wan and Yoda is based in that Order. Rey has the books, a little training of the basics of the Force from Luke and a whole lot of intuition. She's going back to the basics. None of the weight of the Jedi Council or the Sith, but just what the original Jedi believed in its purest form. We'll see what JJ has planned for Ep9 but it seems what Rian was trying to do was take things back to the basics. It can all be summed up in Leia's final line:

"We have everything we need."

fireproof78 and Grendelsbayne like this.
  19. fireproof78

I honestly don't think Canto Bight was supposed to be subtle. I think the disparity wasn't in the visual for our heroes, but rather the seemingly obliviousness of the patrons themselves. They simply could not be bothered with the plight of anyone outside of themselves. Cloistered, and isolated away from the violence.

More subtle approaches could work in books, such as Aargorn's speech regarding the innkeeper at Bree who regarded Aargorn with disdain, yet Aaragorn protected him. In visuals, I think the contrast was supposed to be shocking in Star Wars.

20. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree that Canto Bight went on too long, but removing it completely gets rid of character development and world building.

It needs to be shorter, but not gone.