Spoilers Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Commander Richard, Dec 10, 2017.

?

Grade the movie.

1. A+

13.8%
  2. A

17.6%
  3. A-

14.8%
  4. B+

13.8%
  5. B

7.2%
  6. B-

6.6%
  7. C+

3.1%
  8. C

5.9%
  9. C-

5.9%
  10. D+

1.4%
  11. D

2.1%
  12. D-

2.8%
  13. F

5.2%
  1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

No.

2. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Campe and fireproof78 like this.
  3. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Funny. I'm a legacy fan and I'm not pissed off. I'm not an EU fan and that might be the difference between reactions.

4. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

+1. I would have been ok with fan service, but this is better. Can't wait for episode 9, and will be sad if its a return to fan service.

Campe likes this.
  5. DigificWriter

@starsuperion There are plenty of "legacy fans" who have no problems with The Last Jedi or how it and TFA handled the "OT 3", so don't act like what you think is some universally accepted consensus.

crookeddy and Campe like this.
  6. Campe

Fan service is fine if in moderation in my opinion. I think had a lot of the ideas that fans wanted to come to fruition came to fruition? Well, I think I'd be pretty disappointed because of the sheer amount of it. I loved TFA because it was a return to form. Yeah, you can make the argument the structure is the same as ANH and you'd probably be right. Then you had Rogue One, while having a different structure, was FULL of fan service. Wasn't a fan of that decision while I respect that many were.

Had we gotten a third film that overindulged in fan service? I probably would have been very annoyed.

7. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought it was good but needed a bit more fan wanking. Am I using that term correctly?

8. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree it was vastly more interesting, but at the same time, you can't fault the fans for not liking it. Nobody likes having their favorite character deconstructed that way. We want our heroes and legends! Imagine if a Trek movie "deconstructed" Kirk and showed us a character who was never really the hero we thought he was or imagine a DC movie that "deconstructed" Superman and gave us a character unworthy of adulation. I doubt those fans would be too happy either.

9. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

'He's not my Luke Skywalker.' - Mark Hamill.

Romulan Spy beat me to it! But my favorite is he talked to Johnson about what he wanted for Luke and Johnson was on the same page. Then they completely changed the plans after talking with the Star Wars peeps. I need to find the clip.

11. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

[QUOTE="TREK_GOD_1, post: 12296575, member: 5844"

Kathleen Kennedy's other agenda at work: the only way to make a female character appear strong/assertive, etc., is to make the males weak, ineffectual clowns, something the Original Trilogy (released from 1977-1983--an arguably less "evolved" period than 2015/2017) did not need to do for Leia to appear strong or an effective leader. Says much about certain ideologues' brand of 21st century equality.[/QUOTE]
    ^^^
    Hahaha! Really, the original Star Wars didn't make the men seem dumb camparwed to Leia? I think you need to REWATCH the entire Han and Luke get into the Prison area of the Death Star to get Leia out... sequence again.

Leia: "You got in here...Didn't you have a plan for getting out?!"
    Han: "He's the brains, sweetheart!"
    Luke: "Well..I didn't..."
    Han: "What the hell are you doing?!"
    Leia: "Somebody has to save our skins!...Into the Garbage Chute flyboy!"
    ^^^
    Yeah, compared to Leia, Luke and Han come off as very capable...oh, wait.

12. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

'Last Jedi' Grosses Are Collapsing With The Worst Daily Holds Of All 9 Star Wars Movies

bigdaddy and starsuperion like this.
  13. crookeddy

That happened, and they weren't.

DarKush, bigdaddy and starsuperion like this.
  14. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

I wouldn’t be so sure. He has been very vocal about his disapproval and disappointment of how they handled his (and all of the OT) character(s) in almost every single interview and public appearance. The Mouse ain’t forgiving when it comes to these things.

15. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

Could be. The EU is still out there.. But if you get into it, once you go down that EU path, forever will it dominate your destiny...

Or, once you go EU, you never go back..lol

16. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

^^^
    Hahaha! Really, the original Star Wars didn't make the men seem dumb camparwed to Leia? I think you need to REWATCH the entire Han and Luke get into the Prison area of the Death Star to get Leia out... sequence again.

Leia: "You got in here...Didn't you have a plan for getting out?!"
    Han: "He's the brains, sweetheart!"
    Luke: "Well..I didn't..."
    Han: "What the hell are you doing?!"
    Leia: "Somebody has to save our skins!...Into the Garbage Chute flyboy!"
    ^^^
    Yeah, compared to Leia, Luke and Han come off as very capable...oh, wait.[/QUOTE]
    Par for the course in male vs female relations, unlike the iteration today, it's more pronounced. Holdo vs Poe is a good example..

17. Campe

18. Campe

Also not true.

I read the EU from Heir to the Empire until the middle of NJO. They really pissed me off by sacrificing Chewbacca at the altar of a plot twist, only to have the reason he died (Anakin Solo) get killed off a few books later.

19. DigificWriter

Campe likes this.
  20. crookeddy

That's the narrative the media is going with. If Hamill meant something different, he should have known how his comments would be taken.