Spoilers Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Commander Richard, Dec 10, 2017.

?

Grade the movie.

1. A+

13.8%
  2. A

17.6%
  3. A-

14.8%
  4. B+

13.8%
  5. B

7.2%
  6. B-

6.6%
  7. C+

3.1%
  8. C

5.9%
  9. C-

5.9%
  10. D+

1.4%
  11. D

2.1%
  12. D-

2.8%
  13. F

5.2%
  1. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Can I point out the fact that this movie ultimately isn’t for our generation? This trilogy, like the prequels before it, warts and all, is for the next generation. We need to remember that. So yes, some of the things that people are complaining about are going to hurt. But it’s not about us. We had our movies. They were called Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. The characters we love are now supporting the new leads.

The story is the most important part, not your fictional childhood heroes and what they may or may not do in the course of this film. You can choose to come along on the journey or not. That’s up to you.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just find it hard to believe that this many reviews wouldn't be posting completely honest reviews. I could see a few either lying or just exaggerating to get attention, but not this many.

Kol-Ut-Shan and Campe like this.
  3. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

It could maybe just be that the film is good. There are some naysayers out there and people who hear the spoilers out of context might just be perpetuating negativity because it’s not what they want. (Sorry to keep harping on that but it seems to be the case.)

Kol-Ut-Shan likes this.
  4. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is the same Rey who was knocked unconscious and kidnapped, thrown into trees and knocked unconscious again, then knocked down repeatedly during a lightsaber duel in TFA...right?

(And from the same line of movies which had Jyn be beaten, strangled, blown up by her allies, and vaporised. Oh, and whose mother - the only other original female character with lines - took six blaster bolts to the chest within the first five minutes.)

But sure man. We won’t pay any attention to the critics who have actually seen the movie. I mean, they might have biases and priorities which could make them...misrepresent things.

Campe likes this.
  5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's the feeling I'm starting to get. Even if they take things in a direction that might not have been where I would have liked it to go, that's fine with me as long as the movie is good. There are plenty of shows and movies that I love that have done things with the characters that are very different what from I originally wanted. Some of those directions have even ended up being more interesting than what I originally wanted.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  6. Chekov's Phaser

Chekov's Phaser Waiting to be relevant. Fleet Captain

That is disingenuous. Almost like giving a movie an "F" rating without ever having watched it...

Kol-Ut-Shan and Turtletrekker like this.
  7. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The early reviews are very confusing / confounding.
    "The Last Jedi takes too many risks!"
    "The Last Jedi doesn't take enough risks!"

How could it be so unclear as to if it takes risks or not?
    I can't believe the crawl hasn't leaked yet. It's playing in many places all over the world right now. Bizarre and impressive how Disney kept the lid on this one for so long.

Has anyone noticed in this recent spate of press appearances that Mark has been very free with his thoughts and opinions in interviews? He is starting to remind me of Carrie Fisher in the way he makes very authentic statements with little held back. Maybe she's rubbed off on him in that way. It was always such a hoot to watch Carrie live. She says anything!

8. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

Holy crap! You're right! I popped over to just read the comments on Reddit..holy cow, full fledged Nuclear fan war!

9. starsuperion

Freedom of expression doesn't have to please anyone my friend.

10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would hopefully make sense and come from a rational train of thought.
    Never mind the fact that she was left behind screaming for someone to come back, and constantly laboring under the false hope that they would. Rey and Jyn have some of the more tragic back story for characters in SW, especially with torture, mind invasion and abandonment.

Walk it off, ladies...:rolleyes:

11. Chekov's Phaser

True, but that doesn't put it above criticism.

Your cynical reading of these movie reviewers as all being bought and paid for is just as overly simplistic as saying that the role of money and insider status plays no role in movie reviews

12. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Nor does it sadly have to be truthful or based off any factual evidence (as in your case) like seeing the thing you graded.

crookeddy and Turtletrekker like this.
  13. starsuperion

Go back and read the rest of my posts, please...

Anyhow. Looks like the BBC to the rescue..but I'm not sure why given the usual glowing reviews from the usual sources.
    [SIZE=6]Star Wars: Fans shouldn't worry if The Last Jedi gets bad reviews
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/artic...uldnt-worry-if-the-last-jedi-gets-bad-reviews

Why even put that out...unless...[/SIZE]

14. starsuperion

Did I say that they are ALL BEING BOUGHT AND PAID? NO..pay attention. I said there are additional considerations that should be factored in to any critic review. You're overly optimistic view and blind Faith in them makes me wonder if you've ever been the victim of phising scams, or the Prince of Rowanda wants to stash money with you, just needs your bank account. Stop over reacting and taking my statement out of context. Sheesh...touchy and overly reactive aren't we.

15. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Rotten Tomatoes gave the Ghostbusters reboot a 74% score. That was in total contrast to the public's views, so it suggests that the RT rating was so wildly out of the step of reality that it suggests the score was based on other motivations, and not some genuine view of quality. That might not be isolated to the Ghostbusters disaster.

16. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I did.

17. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Luke dies.
    Snoke dies.​

IDK why this is surprising.

Rey is a nobody.​

It became clear well over a year and a half ago that this was the case.

Luke almost killed Ben as a child when he sensed the dark side in him.​

IDK why this is a problem.

Snoke is a total random nobody. We find out nothing about him.​

IDK why this is surprising.

Luke never leaves Ach-To. He "force projects" himself to other planets in order to have scenes with the other characters.​

I can at least understand why this might be off-putting.

Leia uses the Force to fly like Superman through the vacuum of space after her ship is destroyed.​

Did people not pay attention to the Prequels and The Clone Wars and what they established re: Jedi abilities?

There's zero clarification on the socio-political aspects that TFA left muddy. We never find out how Snoke gained power or why the First Order is a thing or why the Resistance was a separate entity from the New Republic.​

IDK why anyone was expecting there would be.

The porgs are pointless. They do nothing.​

IDK why this is is surprising.

The movie is apparently filled with Marvel-style winking humor.​

IDK what this means.

Turtletrekker and lurok like this.
  18. Chekov's Phaser

Yes, that's exactly what I said! I said I had blind faith in them all. I didn't say at all that BOTH views are overly simplistic.

Pay attention, indeed...

Oh, and over reaction would be grading a movie before one has viewed it.

fireproof78 and Campe like this.
  19. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not liking the spoilers I've read but that means nothing really. I can dislike things that happen in a movie but still enjoy the film. There's a lot more to making a good movie than just the events. It's how they are done that really matters. I didn't like Han Solo dying but the way it was done in the movie was really good. I was sad to see him go but it was well executed.

20. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well said. I just realized there are aspects to every Star Wars film I dislike, even if I love them all somewhat unconditionally. Be it something that happens... or something that doesn't happen.

Not sure if it means anything to anyone but RT is showing an uptick from 93% favorable to 94%.
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_the_last_jedi