Spoilers Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Commander Richard, Dec 10, 2017.

?

Grade the movie.

1. A+

13.8%
  2. A

17.6%
  3. A-

14.8%
  4. B+

13.8%
  5. B

7.2%
  6. B-

6.6%
  7. C+

3.1%
  8. C

5.9%
  9. C-

5.9%
  10. D+

1.4%
  11. D

2.1%
  12. D-

2.8%
  13. F

5.2%
  1. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I've spoiled myself and I'm not thrilled with what I've heard (nor am I really surprised... I've figured this particular thing was going to happen, even when many disagreed with me), but I'm just willing to wait to give it a chance to make a final judgment and see how it plays out.

But, ultimately, I'm just sharing my opinion about that perspective. Like every other Star Wars film, this will divide fans. Hell, even when ESB came out, there were many who found it to be wanting. As fans, we all have our opinions on how we WANT things to go. Unfortunately, sometimes those wants aren't realized. And you can't please everyone. Its impossible to try. Johnson has told the story that he and the Story Team wanted to tell. Not everyone will love it. That's cool.

2. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

Well that is my sentiment exactly. It's the way the story went that bothers me. I can definitely say, I was surprised to find out the twist Rian Johnson was talking about wasn't about Rey.. It was about Luke. I think the overall style of the presentation is much better. There is definitely less of a lens flair in the movie, maybe they kept a bit for consistency with the JJ Abrams version. The Cinematography is good. The Acting is much better for Finn for sure. Rey is still a mess, but that is on Daisy Ridley.. Not the character of Rey, even tho this film will NOT dispel the charges of Mary Sue, I think there is a concerted effort to not show violence against women, as if all men just automatically THINK about beating women or something. Why can't a woman suffer damages like a missing finger, hand, or major cut? it's like they just feel that for a women to succeed as a lead they have to be invincible... overall, the story is what I am upset about. Visually the movie tracks very heavily to TESB, and even in much of the story direction, they pull in from that movie heavily, and draw in aspects of story from ROTJ, and back to ANH. The references from the prequels, meh. they are okay, but I could have done without the flashbacks ( about Kylo)

And yea, ohhh.. yea.. There's going to be a split in the fandom. Be looking for some serious Twitter action, and youtube, or reddit conversations that will be very divisive.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  3. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

Curiously, Business Insider has just posted a mostly spoiler-free review. In addition to praising the film overall, the reviewer went out of their way to say that one of the film's best aspects was how UNLIKE The Empire Strikes Back it was. I'll post no further- the inclined can go there to read it.

Kol-Ut-Shan, Skipper and galad2003 like this.
  4. Campe

I really think this film may drive me off any nerd website. There are a lot out there who are already whining about this and saying they’re done with the saga. I’m tired of the entitlement. I’m tired of the pettiness. It’s just old. Not at all suggesting that of you. Your comments, while negative, have been fairly tame.

ETA: The biggest thing is: so many whined about TFA because it was too much the same. Now it seems they want to whine because TLJ is too different. Honestly, fans need to make up their minds what they fucking want.

Kol-Ut-Shan, indranee, Vger23 and 5 others like this.
  5. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

please can someone tell me if rey and fine got together romantically?

6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's hilarious

:guffaw:

7. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, there already is. Reddit is goddamn rioting. I've never seen anything like it in the fandoms I follow. Seems like nobody wants the by now verified plot leaks to be real.

I do wonder if there's some interference from Disney to sow confusion about the leaks; there's still people popping up claiming the leaks are fake (but they never offer details about how or what the "true" plot is), and people trying to debunk reliable leakers. It's a madhouse.

ALF likes this.
  8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Then you shouldn't of graded anything nor made comments at the start of your posting in this thread that indicated you had seen it.

It's already certified Fresh and currently stands at 93% with 130 Fresh and only 10 rotten reviews. One of these rotten reviews is pretty dogshit though and RT will should be more careful who they decide is a "valid critic"...

Christian Toto (HollywoodInToto)

:rolleyes: Jesus christ.

CobaltDysprosium and fireproof78 like this.
  9. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a pretty good idea which parts of the film's plot are getting lambasted the most by the online community just based on stuff that's happened in the fandom in the two years since the release of The Force Awakens, and it's honestly a little bit sad and pathetic.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The reviews are coming out now:
    IGN: 9.7/10
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi is the quintessential Star Wars movie. It embraces everything in the franchise that came before while taking big risks to push the story into new and unexpected places. While there are a few subplots that weigh it down in the middle, everything ultimately works toward delivering an absolutely stunning sequence of events that make its emotionally rich ending a possibility. It’s dramatic, it’s exciting, it’s heartfelt, it’s heartbreaking, and it’s funnier than any Star Wars movie has any right to be. It doesn’t answer every lingering fan question but it darn well delivers on the ones it chooses to address, ending things on a satisfying note even though there’s one more chapter in this trilogy. And on top of all that, the final scene bucks all Star Wars trends, yet it works because it’s reflective of what makes the saga as a whole so special.

Io9: No rating
    “Experience” is a good word for it, too, because that’s what The Last Jedi feels like. It’s a movie, sure, but it’s somehow more than that. Maybe that’s just because it’s Star Wars. Maybe that’s because it’s so densely packed with mythology and entertainment. But either way, The Last Jedi is a top-of-the-line, A-plus Star Wars and scifi movie—one that we’ll be watching and discussing for as long as there’s a galaxy far, far away.

CBR: No rating
    But let’s begin with what you really want to know: Star Wars: The Last Jedi is awesome. I laughed. I cried. I screamed and cheered so much that my throat went raw, and I left the theater on a high of exhilaration.

Metacritic rating: 85/100 w/45 ratings
    42 positive
    3 mixed
    0 negative

Wow, I was expecting it to be good, but his is definitely a much, much better reaction than I was expecting.

CobaltDysprosium likes this.
  11. starsuperion

12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

What in the wide world of sports did I just read in that quote?

CobaltDysprosium and Jax like this.
  13. starsuperion

Ah.. the usual suspects.. Yes, of course they would give Rave reviews.. I remember how they gave rave reviews about TFA, or STD, or MAD MAX FURY Road.. Or Even Battlefront II

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

All of which were great movies, so I'm not really what your point is...
    And what about the Metacritic and Rotten Tomato scores? Are you seriously trying to say that all of those critics are lying?

15. Campe

I think the problem is that fandom has such a close-minded sensibility and entitlement over what THEY want in a franchise. Well, it isn’t about what you want. Roddenberry once said that if Trek fans had what they wanted, Star Trek would be terrible. Maybe we should actually go in open-minded idea and see what the film is all about!

Young minds, fresh ideas. Be tolerant.

Won’t happen. Many fans have already made up their mind without seeing the film that it will suck. Nice idea though.

It’s too bad, too. From what I’ve read, while I'm not 100% sure I love the idea (I need to see it), it sounds like a bold move what they’re doing.

16. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not the fault of the filmmakers - or the film - if certain expectations weren't met, especially when it had become clear a long time ago that said expectations were never going to be met.

Sarxus, Shaka Zulu and Campe like this.
  17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly, the fact that people seems to be so pissed about where the movies goes, has me more excited to see, since it means the movie actually does do something different and unexpected.

18. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

And you'd be right, if only because everything has made people mad. There's a minimum of five creative decisions by my count that have people frothing at the mouth, more if you include things that people were expecting to happen but didn't.

In descending order of rage:

• Luke dies.
    • Rey is a nobody. Her parents were random junk merchants.
    • Snoke dies.
    • Luke almost killed Ben as a child when he sensed the dark side in him.
    • Snoke is a total random nobody. We find out nothing about him.
    • Luke never leaves Ach-To. He "force projects" himself to other planets in order to have scenes with the other characters.
    • Leia uses the Force to fly like Superman through the vacuum of space after her ship is destroyed.
    • There's zero clarification on the socio-political aspects that TFA left muddy. We never find out how Snoke gained power or why the First Order is a thing or why the Resistance was a separate entity from the New Republic.
    • The porgs are pointless. They do nothing.
    • The movie is apparently filled with Marvel-style winking humor.

19. starsuperion

No, just there's always other considerations that go into their reviews. Advertising revenue is one example. To think they're reviews are altruistic is to be a Polly Anna..( naive for those too young to get that reference).

20. starsuperion

No. 1..