Star Wars: Episode VII: The Nerd Rage Awakens

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by cooleddie74, Jan 13, 2014.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: New Casting and Story Rumors re: EPISODE VII

There's something in my eye.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant

I just saw a report on Facebook that we might be getting the very first Episode VII teaser trailer in December.

If so, they'll likely announce the movie's full title by then so the teaser doesn't show just "EPISODE VII" in boldface letters and Roman numerals. The first teasers for each of the three Prequels were accompanied by the movie's full title. I hope this report is true and we get a sneak peek of the new movie footage by Christmas!

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did the Legends EU ever reveal how Padme eplained away her pregnancy? Did she say it was just a one night stand, or make up a boyfriend or something?
    Which story is this revealed in? I've seen a painting of Vader holding up C-3PO's head, and I always wondered where the scene came from.

4. cooleddie74

A Ryder Windham book. I don't remember the specific title, though.

5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

6. cooleddie74

^
    That's the one! Thanks for the link.

7. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not that I know of. There weren't very many novels/comics/etc set during the events ROTS (not counting adaptation), and I'm pretty sure there weren't any involving Padme doing anything, and since her pregnancy was first revealed (and went to term) in that movie, the only place where I figure it could have been brought up was in the novelization of the movie, but I doubt they did that. I mean, maybe she was pregnant for a few months before the events of the movie (now that I think about it, I have no idea how long a period of time Episode III covered) but I don't think there were many opportunities for that to be brought up.

That said, it could have been. I've read most SW books, but I can think of a few CW era books I've never read, so its possible, but Wookiepedia doesn't have any info either, so I'd bet it was just never brought it up.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure the ROTS novelization said that nobody knew she was pregnant, she was avoiding public appearances and wearing huge elaborate dresses to cover the bump and using a private medical droid for checkups.

9. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, she just hid it from everybody.

10. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

3PO is a protocol droid- the exterior is a standard issue case. We see a lot of droids of that make & model through out the films- the Blockade Runner had a number of them. If 3PO was an organic being Vader might have sensed him with the force, but being a machine he was background. It would be like driving in traffic in a strange town and seeing a car similar to one you once drove as a kid- your first thought would not be that is really was your old car...

11. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

SW has these repeating motifs and it was more important on Lucas' part to repeat things (like having Anakin own the droids) than to create a plausible story-arc. I felt the same way about redoing the death star in ROTJ. I was like, is it really necessary to just have the bad guys say "ah, shucks, let's try again"? Lazy writing.

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Hmmm, does Disney have a big movie coming out around then they could attach it to?

13. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd agree about Vader thinking that Threepio "looks similar" to a droid he once made, but he did have that distinctive silver leg. Probably not too many that match that description. But with his memory wiped, Vader probably wouldn't care anymore.

^This fits pretty well! And in ROTJ:

Luke
    : I've accepted the truth that you were once Anakin Skywalker, my father.
    Vader
    : [angry retort] That name no longer has any meaning for me.

Vader probably didn't want *anything* to do with any reminder of his past. At least up to this point.

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well given how powerful and effective the first Death Star was (and the seemingly unlimited resources of the Empire), I don't find it that strange that they'd want to rebuild it. Especially when they have no problem building fleets of giant Star Destroyers and Super Star Destroyers.

For me the larger storytelling issues with ROTJ are with the dumbed down characters, and the general lack of depth and complexity compared to ESB. The re-use of the Death Star doesn't really bother me at all.

15. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Into the Woods comes out on Christmas Day.

16. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

17. cooleddie74

Anthony's going to be the positive, happy cheerleader for any Star Wars film or TV project he's in, but it is good to hear that he's so enthusiastic about Episode VII that he's comparing it to Empire. Maybe J.J.'s gonna knock this one right out of the ballpark and blow us all away. Who knows. I hope Anthony's right about this being a great movie even if it doesn't live up to the best moments of the Original Trilogy.

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

The fact he's this positive about the movie now, before it's even been edited together with effects and music, tells me they must have had a really strong story and script to work from.

Or at least that's who I'm choosing to interpret it. :)

19. cooleddie74

If anybody involved in the long history of the Star Wars franchise is qualified to speak out about story quality it's an actor like Daniels. Sure, he was never one of the lead characters and didn't get most of the best scenes in the Saga but he's been around longer than almost anybody else except for George Lucas.

If Anthony loves what they just completed filming then it'll probably be quite the entertaining movie.

20. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

The silver leg isn't present in the PT, so it wouldn't be a distinguishing mark that Vader could recognize.