Star Wars: Episode VII: The Nerd Rage Awakens

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by cooleddie74, Jan 13, 2014.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Re: New Casting and Story Rumors re: EPISODE VII

Artoo and Threepio should have more battle scars than they do. And maybe some trophies. Artoo should be wearing a necklace made out of the bones of evil Clones.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant

Never trust a beeping trash can with lights. They'll shank ya when you're not looking.

3. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm just hoping that R2's flying jets haven't been reinstalled or repaired in the time between episodes VI and VII :shifty:

4. cooleddie74

Maybe he still has the "Anakin Wuz Here" graffiti that the boy Padawan scribbled with crayon inside one of his tool panels.

5. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Speaking of R2 did anyone ever come up with a sufficient and logical enough explination as to why Vader doesn't seem to remember his old pal when he was Anakin? That's always bugged me.

Both would have a clear memory of working together since R2's memory banks were never scrubbed like 3PO's and since ya know Vader should remember the robot.

6. kirk55555

Actually, now that the EU is gone, I'm really curious if it was ever revealed to Luke that R2 was owned by Luke and Leia's parents. In the EU, the Dark Nest trilogy (besides being a kind of good/kind of bad story about mind controlling bugs) had Luke and Leia learn about their mother, and that R2 was owned by her (Luke saw a hologram of her and Anakin R2 had, which lead to Leia and Luke finding out about their mother). Its something that's up in the air now, since there was no one alive by the end of the OT to tell them about their mother, and obviously no record of their births.

Unless Obi Wan's ghost came back to give them info, R2's one of the only things that knows about their mother and is still around (I'm pretty sure he was never memory wiped like C-3P0). I mean, some people that knew Padme might still be alive, and I'm sure she's remembered on Naboo, but almost no one knew she was the mother of Luke/Leia. Only Obi Wan, Yoda, Bail Organa (and possibly his wife), and R2 (plus C-3P0, but he got a mind wipe) definitely knew about Luke/Leia's parents from what I can tell. Even Luke's aunt/uncle might not have known who Luke's mother was (they might have known it was the woman they met when Anakin was on Tatooine with her in AOTC, though). I doubt this will be brought up in a movie, but its something I'd be interested in seeing a book talk about.

7. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

The old Holonet News on the official site had a press release from Industrial Automation saying that they recommended removing the 'jets' from their astrodroids because of malfunction (or some such) shortly after the events of Episode III. ;)

8. kirk55555

Well, if its on the official site, that's good. I'd heard how they explained away the lack of rockets in the old EU stuff, but I didn't know if they'd decide to give R2 the rockets again for Episode VII. Hopefully this means they definitely won't.

9. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Artoo is the man. He is the heart of Star Wars and Lucas could have introduced a 1,000 Jar-Jar type characters and I still would have forgiven him thanks to that shortsighted scrap pile with rusty innards and delusions of grandeur.

10. kirk55555

Oh, I like R2, he's great. But, I think he's better when he's not given over the top, super CG action scenes. He's there for a bit of comedy, and just generally to be cool. He doesn't need to be flying around to be cool.

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Kinda amazing to see how a robot design from the late 70s still holds up and works just as well today. And thankfully doesn't look nearly as dated as other designs from back then, like the Cylons from BSG, Twiki from Buck Rogers, the drones from Silent Running...

And the ships are still just as cool as well.

12. kirk55555

Yeah, the designs of Star Wars are classics. I can't think of really anything that doesn't still look cool, at least from a design perspective, even so many years after it started.

13. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

Even the Prequel designs do not match what was created for the original trilogy.

14. cooleddie74

Even the boxy, primitive-looking Power ("Gonk") Droids first seen in the original film hold up after almost 40 years. They're just inventive and original enough and were given enough of a personality and flavor that a big walking battery or generator on two feet can still be enjoyed and even beloved by fans. Something about the raw, industrial, cobbled-together look and feel of the OT droids just makes them some of the greatest robots and androids to ever appear in science fiction and fantasy.

15. cooleddie74

Actually, if you pay close attention to the events of the Original Trilogy Vader never comes into direct contact with R2-D2 in any of the films, and the one time he's within eyeshot of the droid he's piloting his TIE Fighter, fires at and almost destroys Artoo during the final attack run on the first Death Star's exhaust port. He never actually sees Artoo up close, and if he did get close enough to Luke's X-Wing to notice the appearance and colors of the astromech in the fighter's socket he might not have put two and two together. Besides, he was focused on the human pilot and how strong with the Force he was.

It's very possible that Vader never saw R2-D2 until after his last-minute redemption, return to being Anakin Skywalker and then death. As a Force ghost on Endor he may have caught sight of Artoo celebrating with the Rebels and Ewoks and remembered his old friend.

16. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

I like this!

17. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good point thanks. As R2 and 3PO race to the Falcon on Hoth doesn't Vader bump into one or either of them?

Forget R2 for a moment, why doesn't Vader recognize 3PO? He built the droid as a child?

18. cooleddie74

In the (now old) EU Vader actually recognizes Threepio's shattered parts on Cloud City during the events of Empire and is the one who decides to save them and give them back to Chewbacca instead of following an Imperial officer's advice and having the Ugnaughts smelt them down in the recycling facility. There's a scene where Vader holds Threepio's disconnected head and looks at it, recognizing that it's the very same protocol droid he built as a child on Tatooine. He gets a little wistful as a fragment of the old Anakin Skywalker emerges from Vader's darkened soul and he decides he'll spare C-3PO the final indignity of being destroyed.

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Even if Vader recognized 3PO and R2, I'm not sure why it would really matter to him anymore. They were from his old life, and he didn't exactly strike me as the most sentimental type.

20. cooleddie74

And in the actual films themselves we can always pretend that Vader recognizes C-3PO on Cloud City and just doesn't say anything (or he does so offscreen when we're not watching). Threepio is a relic of Anakin Skywalker's childhood and years as a Jedi, and Darth Vader purged or buried most of those memories after turning to the Dark Side.

Sure, he probably recognized Threepio but at that point he saw him as he saw his own horribly-scarred and damaged human face in a reflection - a memory of a bygone era that he'd left in the past when he made his choice to become a Sith apprentice.