Star Trek XII Release Date & Box Office Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by MvRojo, Sep 13, 2009.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    As long as it's better than SPIDEY 3 was? I can probably tolerate it.

2. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

They have decided to reboot the Spiderman series which I think is a stupid decision

3. cooleddie74

Does this mean Tobey and Kirsten aren't doing any more of them?

4. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

Yup...all new cast.

5. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Simply horrible move by Sony. Got a good thing going, and you ruin it for ego's sake.

6. cooleddie74

Well, then.

THIS will bode well.

The Superman franchise started anew with an all-new cast, too...but it had the benefit of having been out of theaters for almost twenty years so people got used to the fact that Christopher Reeve had passed away, Margot Kidder had issues and had all but permanently retired from acting and so on and so forth. It's been just two or three years since the last SPIDEY film. I dunno if this is gonna fly well seeing as Tobey Maguire has become almost synonymous with Spider Man and Peter Parker in less than one full decade's time.

7. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

this is just a horrible decision Tobey Maguire is Peter Parker/Spiderman how on earth will they find a good replacement

8. cooleddie74

Topher Grace(Venom from SPIDEY 3)looks enough like Tobey and has decent-enough acting chops. And he's already been in one of the movies wearing one of the costumes so he might be a natural.

9. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spidey 3 killed all interest in this movie franchise for me.
    I've had zero enthousiasm about the fourth movie ever since it was first anounced.
    The recent developments have made me even less interested.

But who knows.
    I'll wait for the first trailers to hit and hopefully they'll be exciting enough to change my mind.

10. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Probably in the exact same manner that JJ found Pine for Kirk.

By using a Casting Company. :lol:

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Guess what's going to happen to Star Trek. There will be two sequels, and then it's going to be rebooted again.

12. MvRojo

The reboot itself doesn't bother me per se...it's just that it has only been a few years since the last movie, so it just seems too soon to relaunch a franchise that was doing relatively well creatively and very well financially.

13. cooleddie74

OR...almost as bad...they'll change the lead actors a'la James Bond or Spider Man and then keep the new timeline and events since the arrival of Nero in 2233 intact. But the new Kirk and/or Spock and/or McCoy might suck.:lol:

14. MvRojo

^ I was referring to Spider-man, but I guess the same almost applies to Trek.

15. MvRojo

Looks like Star Trek XII's release date just got screwed. Sony has slotted the Spider-man reboot for July 3, 2012, just five days after the June 29, 2012 release date of Trek XII. While Trek would have one weekend to itself, it will now have to compete with a massive blockbuster going into the 4th of July holiday.

I'm betting Trek will move (especially since Spider-man is going to be in 3-D), but we'll see.

16. cooleddie74

TREK will end up premiering one week after SPIDEY or one week after. Paramount isn't stupid enough to put a TREK film...however well-received and/or reviewed...up against a tried and tested superhero franchise that's made more money than Fort Knox in the last decade.

17. MvRojo

I figure they want to take advantage of the long 4th of July weekend, but I think it'd be better for them to open earlier in June (which is wide open at this point) then it is that close to Spider-man (which opened at $151 million with the last film).

Trek XI did really well against films that were expected to do well, but none of them were as big as the Spider-man franchise. The first three made a combined $2.5 Billion worldwide.

It'll be interesting to see how IMAX works out, since I'm sure Spider-man will be released in that format as well, and it wouldn't surprise me if Paramount hasn't locked up any contract for them yet.

18. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

I say take a leaf out of Avatars book and move Trek to winter as there is much less competition so Trek can keep hold of 3D/Digital/IMAX screens for longer.

Though I think Trek can live with rebooted Spiderman in North America it will be a different story overseas as Spiderman will utterly dominate it.

Paramount should move Trek ASAP. Winter = better overseas.

19. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

In the time Avatar has been out the only two other 'big' movies are Sherlock Holmes and The Chipmunks.... imagine how many other movies there would have been in Summer.

Star Trek and summer doesn't work for me and it never will.

20. MvRojo

Maybe. 2-3 weeks of the summer 2012 will also be taken up by the London Olympics, which will probably also hurt Trek's numbers in its biggest international market.

I think early June is a good idea.