Spoilers Star Trek: Waypoint Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JoeP, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No.

I've written a couple of fanfics in the style of the IDW Ongoing (Kelvinverse) series for fun, as well as a comic I made with images from 09 and Into Darkness. I probably wouldn't submit them at this point, but it's neat to think about...

2. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Then even if they are allowing open submissions, you probably won't get far.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, all of writers we've heard about have had published books or comics, so it doesn't look like they were going for first timers.

4. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

The editor, Sarah Gaydos, told me that she's filled up with TOS and TNG through 2017. That's why she was looking for DS9 and VOY stories. Which I was sorry to hear, as I had a TOS story myself that I wanted to pitch to her. Maybe someday (or at the next comics company Trek lands at).

And you don't typically need an agent to submit stuff in comic books. You do need contacts, however. And previous writing credits certainly help.

Pretty much everyone I've ever met in comics has broken in in a different way. The joke is that as soon as one person breaks in in a certain way, they change things around so that no one can ever do it that way again. :)

5. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The fanfics I referred to upthread were written pre-
    the NuTrek Enterprise getting destroyed. So unless they want to do a story that looks backwards...

6. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Wait, Corin Howell is doing Waypoint #3?

Ugh, I hate Howell's art in Transformers. It's too...cartoon-y.

7. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Thought this was fun, liked the Uhura back-up better than the lead story, honestly. But I'm looking forward to the potential of the series.

I wouldn't be surprised if part of the deal IDW made for the Discovery comics included an "expanded" or "general" license to pull from the other series.

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Issue 2, with a story by @Dayton Ward and @Kevin Dilmore came out today. Their story is a fun call back to the old Gold Key comics of the pre-TMP era. If I didn't know better, I would swear that Archie Andrews is on the bridge crew and that Ward/Dilmore threw in a Dr. Who reference!:lol:

9. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Oh #2 was a lot of fun. A great throwback to the Gold Key era. And I really loved the back-up story.

10. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder, was that meant to be Janeway at the end of Story Two? Kind of looked like her.

Also they used the Kelvin Timeline Cadet uniforms in the 24th century, that bugs me.

11. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I am quite sure that's who it is. Janeway visiting a monument to fallen women of Starfleet. You'll notice the delta at the top of the monument has a female symbol in it. (Actually, and only with the help of a magnifying glass, I can make out the inscription on the monument as well) It reads, "IN MEMORY OF THE WOMEN OF STARFLEET WHO LOST THEIR LIVES IN THE PURSUIT AND EXPLORATION OF THE FINAL FRONTIER".

12. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Commodore Commodore

I was really disappointed that they didn't show the interior design of the future starfleet vessel and much of the technology and also no future uniforms of that time in the first story of Waypoint #1. It would also have been great if it would have been mentioned from which time the ship exactly has been.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  13. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Data beams inside the ship. We see the uniforms of the survivors.

14. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Commodore Commodore

We only saw them in the same uniform as Geordie and the Data crew at the end and just some kind of white space as Data communicated with the artificial intelligence of the ship.

15. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Wasn't it white space with circuitry? I remember it looked like a room to me.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Memory Alpha has the descriptions and covers for issues #4 & #5.
    Issue 4 has what I believe will be the first ever purely Enterprise comic story, and another TNG story. Issues 5 is TOS and DS9.

18. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just noticed on that cover that the characters are all wielding Star Trek: First Contact-era phasers during a TV series-era story:

[​IMG]

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

CBR has a preview up for the Enterprise story #4. If this is all the story is then I'm a bit disappointed, I would like the first Enterprise comic story to actually feature the ship and more of the series characters than just (kid) Archer and Porthos.

Markonian likes this.
  20. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is also a typo at the beginning it says the year is '2020'. I didn't realize Archer was over 140 years old in Season 1