Star Trek TOS Re-Watch

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Commander Troi, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

We are introduced to Sulu's passion for countdowns, which is already known by the bridge crew, or at least by Scotty, even in the first episode :bolian: :
    BOOM! No, just kidding. :rommie:
    He still complains a little, though.

The pull away from the tractor beam was probably the second most exciting moments in the series. (I think beaming Kirk off the Constellation during the Doomsday Machine battle was best/epic.) It is rare to get a first episode to be this great with its writing, directing, filming and acting.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
  2. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

Agreed on all counts. I've said this before here but the sequence of rescuing Kirk in The Doomsday Machine STILL holds up today in terms of delivering absolute thrills. Now this episode is more of a slow burn, but the tension is so thick - and grows throughout - that's it's simply awesome. Like City on the Edge of Forever, when I finish Corbomite I feel as though I've just watched a 90-minute-plus movie, not a 48-minute TV episode. Everything that had to go into this episode to get that atmosphere just right, nailing it like they did - it's marvelous.

Me, too, as was the Balok puppet, quite frankly. Very nice overall writeup of the ep. I always thought Kirk was holding his breath there, and now I feel justified in that conclusion!

3. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Everything you mention is why I love this episode, and still feel it's the best Star Trek episode made in the franchise to date, even today. You have everything that Star Trek is, wrapped up in a nice little 55-minute package.

To wit - I love the fact that Captain Kirk comes up with a solution because of an argument he's having with Doctor McCoy at the time.

It underscores the fact that yes you can still be human and have disagreements and problems with others, but still work together towards a common goal; and still be good friends, but with differing points of view, each of which are still valid.
    ^^^
    That something that was effectively lost in the 24th century TNG era, to the Star Trek franchise's detriment (IMO). That's one reason I've never really been into TNG much, and the only 24th century era series I enjoy is DS9

That type of TOS style character interaction making a comeback in Kurrtzman era Trek, and I'm very happy to see that aspect of Star Trek returning.

All the above said I still feel TOS and the 23rd Century era is # 1; and the best representation of Star Trek in general in it's 55 plus year history.

4. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

"I regret that I can find no other logical alternative."

Lovely character moment.

5. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

Thanks!

Richard S. Ta and Phaser Two like this.
  6. Commander Troi

Mudd's Women
    Teleplay by Stephen Kandel from a story by Gene Roddenberry

I'd completely forgotten that this episode starts with the Enterprise chasing the (then) unidentified vessel. Love that Kirk decides to save them, even with risk to his own ship, without knowing anything about them. "Lithium crystal circuits" start browning out and Kirk goes to the Science station (which I thought was cool). Mudd really left it to the last minute!

Interesting line:
    MUDD: You're part Vulcanian, aren't you. Ah well then, a pretty face doesn't affect you at all, does it. That is, unless you want it to. You can save it, girls. This type can turn himself off from any emotion.​

Eve lets slip that his name is Harry, not Leo Walsh.

Plot Point: Enterprise is limping, so they make for a lithium mining operation to fix her.

I am curious how the computer knows he's actually Mudd. Voice pattern? Also interesting is the "Sentences, psychiatric treatment, effectiveness disputed." Part of Federation rehabilitation practices, or something else?

Wiving settlers, while it sounds weird to modern ears, was a real thing. Still is in some ways - I had a co-worker who got a Russian mail-order bride when he retired.

Meanwhile, Enterprise runs down to battery power. A nice little "ship in danger" B plot in the background that also ties into the A plot.

Even though Harry told them not to submit to a medical exam, Ruth decides to saunter around sickbay, setting off the medical scanner. Even in his state, McCoy notices. :lol:

I assume Kirk rarely finds women on his bed without him asking them there. :D Eve tries to seduce him, but stops herself.

Ah! Ruth was sent to see if the miners are healthy. Magda was sent to get their names (and, as we see later, a communicator). Eve enters, upset, then looking sick.

Ah 2! Kirk is suspicious too and asked McCoy to examine Eve. She refused. McCoy knows something is weird, but can't put his finger on it. Spock, as he so often does over the course of TOS, looks amused at the humans' weakness. :p

I couldn't remember if the women knew about the pills or not. Boy, the makeup department made them look *BAD*, especially Ruth! I have to admit, there have been times in my life when I would've bought all of these pills I could find. "I can't stand myself like this." I understand, Magda.

The miners come aboard and Kirk finds that Mudd has outflanked him. Everyone goes to the planet, but Eve isn't in a party mood and runs out into a storm. Both Kirk and Childress run after her, but Kirk ends up going back to the ship to use sensors. Childress finds her and takes her to his place. Oh foam rocks, how I've missed you! :lol:

At least Harry is glad she's safe. However, when he says the drug is harmless, Eve doesn't agree. I wonder if it has long term effects or if she's thinking purely about the fakery of it?

I'm of two minds about the resolution. On one hand, it's not quite as sexist as I recalled - there's a message here about putting looks over everything else (EVE: You don't want wives, you want this. This is what you want, Mister Childress. I hope you remember it and dream about it, because you can't have it. It's not real! (takes the pills) Is this the kind of wife you want, Ben? Not someone to help you, not a wife to cook and sew and cry and need, but this kind. Selfish, vain, useless. Is this what you really want?) and another about believing in yourself. But on the other hand, even as a kid, I knew that believing in myself wouldn't make me look beautiful, so I never entirely bought into that here.

We end with Kirk, McCoy, and Spock enjoying a bit of banter. Given this is episode 4 in production order, we can say that started here.

ETA: Good heavens! Roger C. Carmel died at the same age I am now. :eek:

7. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Most interesting because it suggests, at this early point when they hadn't established otherwise, that full-blooded Vulcans had a more distinctive appearance that Spock's only suggests.

Phoenix219 and Commander Troi like this.
  8. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Absolutely. Such a simple thing, panning the camera back and forth like that, yet it sells the Enterprise slewing at the end of an invisible tow line so very well.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
  9. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

Maybe. Also, Blish's descriptions suggest that, too.

A missed opportunity to give them giant brow ridges or axe surgery like they did the Klingons in the movies. :)

Phaser Two likes this.
  10. mintjulep729

mintjulep729 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I watched the original series on DVD as a kid, and my friends who watched it via rips on the internet were often confused by references I made to parts of episodes that were cut out! I think this might explain it

Commander Troi likes this.
  11. Commander Troi

When I showed my hubby the SNW trailer, he thought of Robert April and we ended up watching this. :)

The Counter-Clock Incident

This was the last episode of TAS to be aired and, AFAIK, the only episode of any ST to mention April.

I *loved* the fact that Dr. Sarah April was "the first medical officer aboard a ship equipped with warp drive." A bit of pushback for Chapel and Number One? :lol:

I have an oddly visual memory and remembered the shot of Sarah with her flower distinctly from childhood.

When the Enterprise first hears Karla Five, I knew immediately it was backwards. I blame seeing Bizarro on Superman & Lois. :hugegrin:

As with all the TAS episodes we've re-watched, this is a tight little science fiction story that fits a lot into 22 minutes. However, as I thought about it later, the idea of a civilization of Benjamin Buttons, while interesting, seems implausible at best. How could that even work? Born old, with all the knowledge you'll ever have - somehow without experience - gradually getting younger and less capable. As I typed, I realized that could be a metaphor for dementia/senility. At least it made me think. :)

Mandatory retirement age from Starfleet is 75, which made me wonder if TOS had already established a longer (healthy) lifespan for humans. Also, the episode ends with the Aprils still allowed to serve (as long as willing and/or able I would guess). Per a quick google search, "in 1974 the life expectancy in United States increased to 71.96 years. That year, the life expectancy for women was 75.9 years and for men 68.2 years." Per my (admittedly not terrific) memory though, people in their 70s back then were often in far worse health than people who are now that age.

A few nice TOS shoutouts: Beta Niobe (All Our Yesterdays), Minara (The Empath), and Babel (Journey to Babel). It could also be argued that this is a better version of the "negative universe" idea from The Alternative Factor.

I *think* this is the first instance of using the transporter to fix things:

APRIL: They can enter the transporter. It retains a memory of their original molecular structure.​

Kudos to Shatner and Takei for making their voices higher when they were "youngered". Jimmy and Nichelle did nice jobs as Robert and Sarah as well.

I think I need to see this bit whenever I feel like I'm getting "too old" for something:

SARAH: But what about us? We don't have to use the transporter. We can remain young, live our lives over again. You could command a starship once more.

APRIL: What a blessing to be able to live one's life over again, if the life you've led has left you unfulfilled. No Sarah, I don't want to live it all over again. I couldn't improve one bit on what we've had together.​

shapeshifter and Henoch like this.
  12. trekkist

trekkist Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

>the idea of a civilization of Benjamin Buttons, while interesting, seems implausible at best. How could that even work?

Alan Dean Foster had some fun with this in his novel-length Star Trek Log version. Something like:

"If I could see your obstetric wards--"
    "Later, Spock. Later."

>As I typed, I realized that could be a metaphor for dementia/senility.

Kee-rist, I never thought of that (shudders).

>people in their 70s back then were often in far worse health than people who are now that age.

Around the turn of the century, I worked the local college's student center desk. Student workers were amused when I told them how lucky I felt to've come of age when condoms were "birth control for dumb people" (but not so amused when I reminded them that french kissing alone could constitute unprotected sex). Ah, the 70s! The decade of my first vote-able Presidential campaign...which Reagan won...:ack:

>It could also be argued that this is a better version of the "negative universe" idea from The Alternative Factor.

"Could be" argued? Surely you jest...

>APRIL: What a blessing to be able to live one's life over again, if the life you've led has left you unfulfilled. No Sarah, I don't want to live it all over again. I couldn't improve one bit on what we've had together.

SARAH: (sotto voce) Mom was right. I married an idiot.
    APRIL: What?
    SARAH: (in the tone of voice of Kirk's "female-fied" computer) Nothing, dear.

Commander Troi likes this.
  13. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unfortunately, The Lorelei Signal beat them to it the previous season:
    SPOCK: Perhaps the transporter is the key.
    MCCOY: Key to what?
    SPOCK: Our restoration. It holds the molecular pattern of our original bodies when we beamed down to the planet.
    KIRK: Spock. Can the transporter be programmed to re-pattern us as we were?
    SPOCK: Possibly. But the odds against us are ninety nine point seven to one.​

The scenario in The Counter-Clock Incident seems to forget the high risk factor, not to mention hand waving away how the transporter has a "memory" of every single crew member's original state! :devil:

Uhura's Song and Commander Troi like this.
  14. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

You've been asked before, and now I will ask you again, please use the "Reply" function to quote the people you're responding to. Like I just did, above.

15. Commander Troi

...and don't call me "Shirley"... :D

Actually, Nichelle did the voice of Dr. Sarah April.

Thanks! That's the problem with skipping ahead. :)

shapeshifter and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  16. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I believe we see the name in a list of decorated captains on Discovery.

Phaser Two and Commander Troi like this.
  17. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

You know, I gotta say -- I don't even like "Where No Man Has Gone Before" that much, and I saw it twice during the season (once for the Tricon showing), and yet I watched it tonight at 5:30 and my kid has to make me get up and go to bed rather than keep watching the 8:30 show.

There's just something about Trek.

Phaser Two and Commander Troi like this.
  18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

There are only a handful of TOS episodes I find…disappointing. And yet I can still watch them. I can’t say that about any other series in Trek—if I don’t find them to be good-excellent episodes then I have zero interest to watch it. I could cram all the TNG episodes I like into about three seasons worth of materiel and jettison the rest. I could cram all the DS9 I like into about two seasons and yet I have no interest to revisit even those. I have zero interest whatsoever in seeing anything of VOY or ENT ever again.

The TNG films, JJtrek, DSC, PIC, LD and most likely SNW are just background noise to me.

19. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

As I just got the S1 blu-ray set and am in the process of ripping them, I have a question about episode order.

At least for the early episodes, most sources have WNMHGB as the 3rd episode, tho it was clearly filmed first, what with the older style uniforms.

Does anyone know of a good source for what order the episodes should be in? I realize there isn't much continuity-wise going on overall. I have seen one site that thinks they could go in Stardate order, but that isn't always consistent either.

20. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, after the first batch of episodes, it doesn't really matter. A lot of fans prefer production order because of the changes in uniforms, sets and cast - as well as some character evolution (and Shatner's weight). But once you're past, say, The Menagerie, it really makes no difference. So go with how you want to watch them.

I always just watch whatever episode I'm in the mood for at this point, order makes little difference as long as the seasons stay together.

My homemade DVDs from the laserdiscs have start with The Cage, the unaired WNMHGB (from the blu ray set although I used to have a 16mm print in there), and then broadcast order.

Then...I have the Paramount DVDs in production order in the single volume sets if I feel like going that way.

Over in my closet waiting for proper shelving are my Columbia House VHS tapes - which are in stardate order.

I have the blu rays but rarely watch them. I prefer the DVD prints, but have the box sets for THOSE when I want airdate order in better quality.

Yes, I'm legit out of my mind.