Star Trek: TITAN: Animated Series

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Geoff Thorne, May 28, 2009.

1. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Titan Designer

Titan Designer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3. Titan Designer

Now lets see more Animated Titan images!!!

4. Chris McCarver

Chris McCarver Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hey, as someone who's read enough comics to know the length of Batman's cowl-ears and size of Spider-Man's mask lenses are whatever the artist felt they should be, artistic interpretation's something I'm all too cool with. Very fun style, Geoff.

Actually has me inspired to progress on work for that webcomic thingie I've got percolating in the lab at the moment...

:shifty:

5. Overgeeked

Overgeeked Captain Captain

Wow. That's another great piece. I love the top / dress outfit for Deanna. That's a great design.

This may sound like a silly question, but if you're a writer and an artist, why not put out a comic? Obviously not a Trek one, but something of your own. Your art does bear some resemblance to early Oeming.

6. Geoff Thorne

Geoff Thorne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Three reasons:

1) It's extremely time-consuming to do all the chores on a given project and all that time is done without being paid. I literally can't afford to take that big a bite.

2) I'm thrilled you guys like this "animated" style but it's a new one for me. My normal art skills are, I think, not competitive with the current comic book market. Maybe.

3) I AM writing a new comic book called PRODIGAL that I co-own with my partner TODD HARRIS who is, hands down, a FANTASTICALLY gifted artist. We go by the name GENRE 19.

7. Warp Rider

Warp Rider Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'd love to see an Animated series of the Titan or, heck even a live action series. :)

8. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Didn't they build a Titan for the Star Trek Experience? What happened to it?

9. Titan Designer

Actually they made it for the Star Trek Tour, then pulled that part of the exhibit after the first location. Since then the Trek Tour is now in two part without the Titan Model.

10. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Loved the poster art. Can't wait to see whats up next.

11. Geoff Thorne

Geoff Thorne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll have a new wallpaper up by the end of the week. They're more complex than the character sketches.

12. Bill Morris

Bill Morris Commodore Commodore

The style holds up well across characters. So you're really got something going there.

A strategy to consider is that used in traditional comic books, of doing an entire story in pencil with simple thumbnails, each with dialog and notes about who is who, background, etc. and revising that until you're satisfied, then doing the finished frames but reusing character figures were possible (some resized with your software) and making new figures as you need them, building up a collection for further reuse. And skipping around in making completed frames helps you see what you need to finish one comic, since frame No. 3 might be a modified version of frame No. 47. And, of course, doing the frames that would take the figures you've already got first would give you a running start and let you see the whole thing partially completed.

13. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw your depiction of Dakal! I'd say you got the pose and general body language right in a big way, especially when you compare to the more extroverted members of the crew. It seems fitting to have his attention half on a PADD! And I would definitely listen to whatever he had to say. ;) So overall, you've definitely conveyed the sense of the character and that's more than half the battle! :) Bear that in mind should you choose to read my suggestions. And you are obviously NOT required. It is there should you choose to consult it, and kindly hidden should you choose not to.

Now...this may be WAY more Cardassian information than you want, so you click the spoiler button at your own peril. ;) (I have NOT incorporated any specialized terminology or set in stone any suppositions I have made in my own fanfic, so this is safe!)

I would suggest, perhaps, adjusting some of the colors. The skin could perhaps stay that color, IF you accept the makeup seen in "The Wounded" as canon.

But the hair should probably get darker...Cardassians seem only to show grey once they've reached a more advanced age (ex. Tekeny Ghemor or Mila), and Dakal was a young character. Brown to black would make sense--though if you accept "The Wounded"-style Cardassian makeup as legit, I would tend towards brown. Otherwise, if you do increase the grey on his skin, I'd darken his hair to more of a black-brown.

His irises are a bit hard to see, so you might want to give them a color that keeps them from getting swallowed up by the whites of the eye.

The last comment I would give you pertains to the ridging structure of the neck. If you look at reference pics of Cardassians, you'll notice that the larger scales are only seen down the sides of their necks, not by the sides of the larynx as you've also shown them.

Anyway, I apologize if that was too much information...I have been accused by quite a number of people here of BEING Cardassian. ;)

Overall, for a first sketch, that's great. :)

AND...I must add my compliments for the Pazlar and Modan drawings! I particularly like them as well. :)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  14. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder who has the model? Maybe they should have given it to the designer of the Titan? :devil:

If there was an animated Titan series, I'd definitely watch it. I'm sure Frakes and Sirtis would reprise their roles :) They did for TATV :(

15. ThunderAeroI

Probably so long as he could "Phone" it in. Isn't he living nice and quite like in Mane with Gene!

16. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

ThunderAeroI, I loved doing Fod-walks back in the day. They have everyone go out to the flightline and walk the entire runway.

17. ThunderAeroI

Ah yes, so off topic, but fun none the less. Not that I've ever done such a thing, us civy's dont bother with such.

18. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Don't you mean, 'The Rikers'? :)

Ohh man, this is what I've imagined a Star Trek animated series could be, and with your designs, you've brought it to life! Great work!

If I requested it, could you do pictures of my Star Trek: Starfleet Academy concept?:)

19. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought that in Betazoid families, the husband took the wife's name...

20. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hence that's why Picard kept referring to Riker as "Mr. Troi" in Nemesis.