Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - The High Country by John Jackson Miller

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JJMiller, Apr 8, 2022.

1. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am excited for this one! I love the blurb, this is totally my favorite type of setup for a Trek novel. A shame to have to wait longer, I was already envisioning myself reading this over the holidays, but in the context of how nightmarish our supply problems can be these days (baby formula!), I'll manage...

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  2. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope I'm not the only person who's going to shelve this with their Strange New Worlds anthologies.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I miss when I got ten random stories for my money, now it's just one long one about captain Pike!:mad:

TheAlmanac and David cgc like this.
  4. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

The last Strange new Worlds was pretty dire.

hbquikcomjamesl likes this.
  5. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Worse than that, it wasn't even a "real" SNW anthology: it never went out in hardcopy, and the "prize" for the "winners" involved subsidy publishing (up until then, I didn't even know that S&S had a vanity division) rather than royalty publishing. Which is not much better the "prize" that went to the "winner" of Shirley Jackson's Lottery.

6. JJMiller

JJMiller Writer Red Shirt

My first Trek fiction of any kind, in fact, was a submission for Strange New Worlds IV written in 2000 — a Scotty story. Dean Wesley Smith returned it with the sole note "Good story," but it didn't make it in. I always assumed I bent continuity just a bit too much. I still have it around, may post it one day.

Would be a while before I tried again, for S.C.E. -- and nearly a decade until the third time was the charm.

Leto_II, Avro Arrow, KimMH and 4 others like this.
  7. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Please post that story when you are able to.

8. JJMiller

I've considered doing it when the Strange New Worlds book releases.

9. JJMiller

After unexpected months in suspended animation — no thank you, supply chain! — we are getting ready for the Feb. 21 launch of STRANGE NEW WORLDS - THE HIGH COUNTRY, and so it's time for the back cover copy!

[​IMG]

This says something about the continuity timing of at least part of the book; how much, I'll leave it to the readers to discover.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2022
  10. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Hi @JJMiller ,

Since Twitter images don't show up inline properly (and to be totally honest, I don't think we're supposed to be hotlinking to Twitter anyway), I've put your image on an image host, and edited your post to point to that instead, so that the image will be visible. If you have any concerns about this, please let me know.

hbquikcomjamesl likes this.
  11. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Twitter is a cesspool anyway. And if anybody blocks it, they wouldn't have been able to see it before it was moved.

12. JJMiller

Thanks — every image I've ever posted on this board has been from Twitter, and it often has to be, because I am invariably traveling when we're announcing a book and social media is the first and only place it goes. (The first post in this thread I launched from the panel table at Mission Chicago — they caught me posting it in the panel video!)

13. Avro Arrow

Unfortunately, they don't show up inline, and all we get is the IMG tag:

[​IMG]

Which means one needs to open the URL in a new tab to view it. Not insurmountable by any means, but an extra step.

And as a mea culpa, this is sort of on me, because I have in the past not worried about images from Twitter (or Facebook), because I thought they were exceptions to our hotlinking policy, because they were sorta-kinda image hosting sites. I did find out recently that this interpretation was probably in error, and they probably should have been considered against policy all along.

I will try to seek out clarification of our policy with respect to Twitter specifically, and will let you know what I find.

My apologies for the trouble.

14. JJMiller

I admit I'm not entirely clear on what you mean, because the image on Page 1 shows up correctly in every browser I look at it in, both mobile and desktop. (I'd happily post an image to the board itself, if it had that capability, but it seems to insist on all images being elsewhere.)

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The cover showed up fine for me before the post was edited.

16. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Just in time for season 3 of Picard. :)

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It clearly takes place before episode 9. ;)

Avro Arrow likes this.
  18. JJMiller

Yeah, when they announced the publication delay, part of my response (beyond wandering the streets in the convention city I was in, cursing cruel fate) was to wonder what season of what it would be adjacent to. If it was known or even settled by that point, I never heard.

19. Avro Arrow

Thank you to you both for the feedback. It shows up as just the IMG tag for me on both a computer and a mobile device... but I use Firefox on both. So I tried it just now in Edge, and sure enough, it shows up there. So it may just be a Firefox problem. (Or possibly just a me problem, but I hope that's not the case! :lol: )

So assuming it works fine for the majority of users (I don't have Chrome installed, so can't test that one), I won't bother replacing any further images with hosted versions. But that being said, I'm still waiting for a response as to whether we are even allowed to hotlink to Twitter anyway. I did make the inquiry, so hopefully there will be something soon. In the meantime, I guess just continue doing what you're doing now, and we will revisit if necessary based on the response.

We do have the ability to upload directly to the board itself, but it is reserved as a premium membership perk, along with no ads, and a couple of other benefits.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I use Firefox and I could see the image.