Spoilers Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - Pike series and novel continuity

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Enterprise1701, Feb 5, 2022.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Somehow, I think if Sarah Silverman were appearing in season 2 of Picard, we'd already know that.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't think we knew about Whoopi Goldberg being in it until the trailer revealed it. And I think Brent Spiner and Jeri Ryan in season 1 were both surprises. Not that I expect Silverman to appear, but these things can be kept quiet.

3. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the point is that those things were all featured prominently in the trailers instead of left as surprises during broadcast, and Silverman returning would be treated similarly. (And Patrick Stewart inviting Goldberg to be on Picard in January 2020 was kind of an early clue she would return…)

4. Christopher

Okay, I guess I misremembered them being kept secret. But it can happen, as we saw with a couple of major MCU figures in Hawkeye. Not every guest star is announced in advance.

5. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Really feels like you're just re-parroting me again for nothing

Angry Fanboy and captainmkb like this.
  6. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think it's an intentional homage but in Star Trek: Early Voyages there is a three part time travel story involving a "time orb". Time gets messed up but fortunately everything gets fixed at the end. The final scene however is Christopher Pike alone in his room, he picks up the time orb and sees a vision of himself in the future after his accident. There is a very similar scene with Pike touching the time crystal and seeing the same future in Star Trek Discovery season 2.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

When it comes to the Eugenics Wars, wasn't there a rumour that CBS are working on a Trek series codenamed 1992? I for one would be all in for an alt-history period piece Trek series, with Augments taking over and eventually being shot into space.

Part of me wonders if La'an Noonien Singh is a setup for that show in a similar-ish way that Georgiou was in Discovery to set up the forever-in-development Section 31 series.

8. Christopher

No, you're still not getting the point. I'm not saying anything about a secret war. I'm saying that in real history, the United States fought openly in multiple 20th-century wars, but never on American soil. Every city in the continental United States remained completely intact through two World Wars and multiple smaller wars, even while American soldiers were fighting overseas. So the fan belief that "Future's End" somehow "proves" the Eugenics Wars didn't happen (or happened in secret) makes no sense at all. That's like seeing that New York City is intact in Holiday Inn and concluding that World War II didn't happen.

DEWLine and Sci like this.
  9. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

IIRC he also has kind of a vision of the chair in The Rift, so Discovery season 2 is the third time he learns of his fate (if you take all of those to be in one continuity), which is kind of funny.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  10. mastadge

mastadge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think we've known for about a year, since Patrick Stewart went on The View last January and invited her.

11. Christopher

Suspecting isn't knowing, and that was an unusual circumstance. It doesn't mean it would have to happen in every case. My point is that just because we know in advance in some cases doesn't mean it's impossible for an actor's appearance to be a surprise.

12. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm thinking the same thing. But how I wonder.
    It will be interesting to see how that plays out in the series if at all. If the comics had gone on I wonder if they would have played with that concept too, probably not.

13. Enterprise1701

*sigh* I never said there was not war outside of Los Angeles. That was my whole point, genius.

TheAlmanac likes this.
  14. Christopher

Yes, you literally did, because you used the word "peacetime." That word specifically means that the country is not at war. If that was not what you meant to convey, then you chose the wrong word. We can't read your mind, only your words.

Ronald Held likes this.
  15. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Gentle "post, not poster" reminder.

tonk'peh and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  16. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*squeezes eyes shut and crosses fingers*

Homaged, homaged, homaged, homaged, homaged...

Did they actually come out and say much of anything about Pike's dad?

At least he was as prepared as one could be...

17. Christopher

"New Eden" established that he was raised by his father, a science teacher who also taught comparative religion. Burning Dreams claimed that he was fatherless until he was 13 and was adopted by a farmhand who turned out to be an ex-Starfleet officer and was later revealed to be his biological father. The novel and DSC also disagree on what ships Pike served on before the Enterprise.

18. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

D'oh!

19. Enterprise1701

Haha, I don't know whether to call that small universe syndrome or a good exploration of Pike's character dedication to selfless Federation ideals.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought they decided to do the Section 31 series because everyone liked Georgiou so much?

Enterprise1701 likes this.