Spoilers Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - Pike series and novel continuity

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Enterprise1701, Feb 5, 2022.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

From what the writers said on Twitter, and from the screen images depicted when Una asked for info on Illyrian modifications, apparently the implicit thinking was that the "Damage" Illyrians were themselves a heavily modified offshoot of a more humanlike root species, explaining why they look so different from Una. Also, the Illyrian crew in "Damage" said they were new to that region of space and three years from their home system -- which, again, could well have been a colony. So what Archer did to that one far-flung ship probably had little effect on the civilization as a whole.

Really, though, the species in "Damage" was never called Illyrian onscreen; the name comes only from the script. So strictly speaking, we don't have any canonical proof that the species in "Damage" even were Illyrians.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC, some of the pictures of the SNW Illyrians shown onscreen did have slight head ridges and webbed hands.

3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was one picture, and they're barely visible.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

But visible nonetheless.

5. Christopher

Yes, exactly. According to the creators, those images were included specifically to be hints of a connection to the ENT Illyrians.

Ronald Held likes this.
  6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here's a nice closeup of those graphics, from Timothy Peel on Twitter.

TheAlmanac and Admiral Rex like this.
  7. Extrocomp

Extrocomp Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Doctor M'Benga's first name is apparently Joseph in the latest SNW episode The Elysian Kingdom. Anyone know if this will affect the upcoming TOS/Vanguard crossover novel Harm's Way?

ThetaSigma, Leto_II and Ronald Held like this.
  8. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I suppose the Vanguard ebook novels could not be edited?

9. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Honestly I hope not. That said, I think there's a decent chance that M'Benga isn't on Vanguard or the Enterprise at this time. According to his letter at the end of Precipice M'Benga joined the Enterprise crew shortly after "Journey to Babel", which is way later than "The Doomsday Machine" in the season.

Allyn Gibson, captainmkb and Reanok like this.
  10. F. King Daniel

Isn't that the first name from 80's novels, or maybe FASA? I'm sure I've heard it before.

Ronald Held likes this.
  11. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Seems like its from the script of his debut. In the 80s novels he's called Geoffrey.

ETA: Turns out not, see this post by Fact Trek's Maurice:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    Ronald Held and Avro Arrow like this.
  12. F. King Daniel

Joseph... Geoffrey... my bad

13. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

David Mack mentioned earlier in the thread that he was trying to get the text of Harm’s Way approved by licensing ahead of the premiere of SNW, to avoid being asked to make changes based on things SNW established that would contradict Vanguard. No idea if he was successful…

Leto_II, Allyn Gibson and Jinn like this.
  14. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Pretty sure he declared victory on that count over on Twitter.

Though it seems to me that a swap of a character name during editing if necessary wouldn’t be impossible, at least in theory - I remember for the Star Wars Death Star novel, they were going to give Admiral Motti, the guy Vader choked in the meeting scene, a first name, and then not too long before the book was released, George Lucas was interviewed by Conan, and went ahead and said “sure, here, the character’s named after you,” and, with this being the time when Lucas’s word superseded all in the EU, that got hastily edited in.

So it doesn’t seem impossible to me that a name change could be edited in to it without upsetting things too much. Still, it’s also possible M’Benga isn’t featured at all and this is all moot.

captainmkb likes this.
  15. captainmkb

captainmkb Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

very exciting to have a series with so many new spoilers and easter eggs to reveal to us. as with The Dark Veil's version of the Star Trek: Titan crew, i look forward to seeing what kind of attention is paid to all these new minutiae in the new tie-in novel program

16. Christopher

Well, after today's season finale, I checked the Pike scenes in The Captain's Oath to see if Pike's thoughts about Kirk are still compatible with what we now know. I think there are a couple of lines that are a bit iffy, but in broad strokes it still works -- for now.

17. F. King Daniel

I won't see it for weeks, but a certain visual in SNW S01E10 bears a striking resemblance to a certain time-travelling double issue of the Early Voyages comics.

18. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What were they, may I ask?

And the interesting thing is that they have set up Pike as a much more gentler captain than Kirk and the fact he fails because he tries to rise above and you can't do that with fascist/authoritarians.

You can't appease them.

19. Christopher

You know what? I was mistaken -- the lines aren't iffy.
    I was assuming that Pike already knew Kirk would replace him as Enterprise captain in the future, rather than just considering him as a potential candidate as in the book, but the future knowledge he gained didn't make that explicit, though it arguably implied it.

Ronald Held and Leto_II like this.
  20. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

There's a bitter, bitter irony in echoing the Commander's line about how "In another reality, [Kirk/Pike] and I might have been friends" in this episode. No, you wouldn't have. In no reality is that possible, we've just checked.

Star Trek has been in a real dark mood lately. It's looking at "Balance of Terror" and going, "Yep, that was a good day."