Spoilers Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 1x03 - "Ghosts of Illyria"

Hit it!

• Total voters
Ah, yes. But that's 32nd century tech. 23rd century tech was much more reliable.........

32nd Century old men are always grumbling, "they don't build them like they used to."

The impression to me in TNG era at least was that genetic modification was okay to fix flaws and defects. The issue comes with enhancements.

Bashir's issues could have been "fixed" but his father wanted Bashir to be "super" if they were going to use genetic modifications so he went an illegal route.

That would make sense, but Illyrians seem to specifically use genetics to adapt to new environments, which -- you'd think -- would be more accepted by the Federation.

I agree. I am not sure it makes sense they would reject them for this. I mean they don't reject the Bynars and they augment there bodies with technology and basically have such a fragile existence that if the main computer goes down on the home planet they can all die.

I agree. I am not sure it makes sense they would reject them for this. I mean they don't reject the Bynars and they augment there bodies with technology and basically have such a fragile existence that if the main computer goes down on the home planet they can all die.
I think this is something we often see in franchises where at some point, elements that are popular or which stand out tend to take a lot more space and become less nuanced and more singular in their portrayal, like the Borg for instance. It's the franchise equivalent of Flanderization.

The Prime Directive is an excellent example of this: relatively nuanced in TOS and terribly simplistic in TNG.

I really like this episode a lot.
It was nice to get some backstory and focus on Una.
The whole thing with the virus traveling on light was kind of a cool idea, not sure realisitic it was though.
I also like that they finally addressed Lian's ancestry.
"I am arming us with knowledge" has got to be one of my favorite Spock lines ever.
I gave it a 9 in the poll.

Between this and Picard I'm not understanding why there's a Eugenics Wars/Khan reference practically every week now. Didn't Trek go downhill because all they kept trying to do was rehash Khan?

Almost makes me think that Khan miniseries isn't as dead as we were lead to think. No real evidence to support that, however.

Again: calm DOWN. To me, what I quoted WAS the relevant statement. The rest had, in my understanding, NO BEARING. So I quoted and responded to what I thought was relevant. If you think I made a mistake, then by all means correct me, but don't accuse me of dishonesty.
I am calm. I just don't care for hacks who try to downplay their intellectual dishonesty when discussing things then trying to claim that the only reason I'm upset is because you disagree with what I said. I stand by what I said but you didn't quote in context what I said. So yeah, you are what you are; and that comes shining through in the way you quit people and how you refute statements.

If you're uncomfortable with being called out for it, don't do it.

I am calm. I just don't care for hacks who try to downplay their intellectual dishonesty when discussing things then trying to claim that the only reason I'm upset is because you disagree with what I said. I stand by what I said but you didn't quote in context what I said.
You can't be calm if you admit that you're upset.

Has it occured to you that I just didn't (and still don't) understand the point you were trying to make and, not understanding it, I thought you were saying something else, and quoted the part I thought was relevant and answered that? I'm asking you do consider that.

But nope. You've already decided that I'm dishonest and nothing will make you change your mind.

I am coming in late-ish, but I really liked this episode.

First, (not to bring the real world into it, but I'm going to anyway) after the shootings in Buffalo NY this past week, the themes regarding prejudice being not only ridiculous but also overtly destructive and even self-destructive was very appropriate and sadly far more timely than anyone could have anticipated.

A few observations...
First, I found Hemmer's faith in the biofilters fairly amusing considering all of the things that get through the transporters over all of the shows. Methinks he may be a bit overconfident in this technology.

Although I found the M'Benga storyline with his daughter to be a very interesting and touching one, these elements felt like they were pulled more from TNG than TOS. First, he offhandedly mentions that the Enterprise was the flagship, and then he uses the transport buffer as a makeshift stasis device. These aren't really errors, since the "flagship" could presumably change at any time and we don't know where Scotty got his transporter buffer idea from, but they did feel a little odd in a pre-Kirk era.

Overall, I loved that this episode and its solution were more about the human aspect of the light disease rather than a simple technobabble fix. I also love that the show ends with Una still not fully assured that everything is simply A-ok. This felt both optimistically Star Trek and yet somewhat more "real" than the episode ending with the crew laughing and slapping each other on the back for a job well done.

Further, the mantle can be transported with less complex molecular resolution, transporting people requires quantum resolution.
Exactly. A blob of mantle put back together in a different order is still...a blob of mantle.

I dunno, I'm still going to go with "I like science.".

Maybe, "roast a marsh-melon."
I still wish the part where they showed it was McCoy messing with Spock that got him talking about marsh-melons made it in/was left in the movie.

I loved this one (minority opinion, but for me episode 2 was the weakest, though they've all been great). Honestly, my only disappointment is that when I'd heard there was an "everyone goes crazy" virus episode, I was most intrigued to see how Pike & Spock would play it, and they were removed from that arc entirely.

But, not being the episode I imagined in my head is not an actual flaw, and I loved what we were served instead.

FANTASTIC production value on this show, even by the standards of Live Action Streaming Trek. The Enterprise looks so great and modern, but also like the same ship we know from the 60's -- it is a TRICKY line they are walking, and the manage it beautifully.

And all the stuff on the planet, just gorgeous. Even the planet had such a "modern TOS" vibe to it... I kept being reminded of the locations in "Operation -- Annihilate!"

Una's view of genetic engineering was a striking bit of writing. Instead of terraforming the planet, they're adapting themselves. That's such a clever notion that I can't recall seeing in Trek before.

Among a very strong cast, I continue to particularly adore Jess Bush's interpretation of Chapel. Hope she gets a nice showcase episode this season.

Una being Illyrian was first mentioned in 1989 novel 'Vulcan's Glory'.

https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Illyrian

Novels dealing with her after Enterprise had the more alien looking Illyrians had her as a human growing up on one of their colonies.

Overriding the actual tv canon apparently since as pointed out on this thread they were aliens in Enterprise. You think they could have at least changed their name.

Huh, so it was exactly what it felt like -- trying to force something from TV canon and lit canon together when they don't actually mesh.

This is obviously a tiny nitpick, but I do wish they hadn't gone back to novel details from 1989 when it doesn't merge easily with far more recent actual canon. I'd have much preferred they gave Una's people a new name, or maybe link her up to one of the many exactly-human-looking one-off aliens we've met along the way in this franchise, if they wanted a fun easter egg.

But again... this is about as small as nitpicks get. It's pretty impressive to consider the number of things this show is doing right, for me to have to get this far into the nitty gritty till I have any complaint at all.

At least half the score for this episode comes from that extraordinary main engineering set. Loved the reincarnated pipe cathedral.

Back