Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I liked “Tin Man” as well, but the Gomtuu model looks just weird. As you said, organic forms don't really translate well to the kind of models Eaglemoss is doing. I wonder, though, if someone with model-making skills could customize it too look more like the live action counterpart.

2. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

XL Discovery has been arriving.
    The model is the same as the regular Discovery, just blown up in size.
    Unlike the preview, the bridge dome is not blue.
    The bridge window is indicated by two small blobs, as if there was the same small windows like around the rest of the ship.

Hero Collector posted about the delayed Avatar sequel, specifically a crab robot for an underwater portion. The article implies that Hero Collector either already has, or still pursues, a licence for the Avatar brand. Link: https://www.herocollector.com/en-us/Article/avatar-sequel-vehicle-reveal
    >> If that means I get a Valkyrie RDA shuttle, I accept.

Did you notice that the California-class USS Cerritos has yellow stripes painted on the hull? These color-coded stripes match the Starfleet departments (ops - gold, command - red, science/medical - blue) and we'll see medical California-class ships with blue stripes and command Calis with red. Link: http://blog.trekcore.com/2020/08/st...undup-cerritos-design-new-posters-ready-room/
    >> Obs, I want them all.

saddestmoon, 137th Gebirg and Michael like this.
  3. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Hm, this sounds rather underwhelming. Would you still say it was worth getting? My version should arrive tomorrow.

Yeah, I so need the Cerritos, and I haven't even watched the first episode yet! :lol: The design is awesome and the idea of the color-coded stripes is cool. I immediately thought of Eaglemoss when I heard about those stripes.

4. Markonian

I love the Eaglemoss ships and sooner or later get everyone of them.
    But my answer is NO.

If you are new to the collection, choose either the regular or the XL Discovery, based on size preferences.
    In contrast, with DS9 I'd firmly say skip the Special and go for the XL.
    Luckily, in my case I have a need for the XL Disco. I broke the deflector antenna on the original and considered getting a replacement, so having an additional, slightly larger model is convenient.

I'm afraid when they bring out the ISS Discovery, they're not correcting the paint issues, either.

Same! I'm like a Pawlow dog for that by now.
    Speaking of ships that could become models: California-like ship but with secondary hull attached to ventral saucer (LD ep 2 "Envoy"), Argo buggy (prominent role in "Second Contact"), Type 6-A shuttle

Michael likes this.
  5. Nate

Nate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, I got duplicate emails for all my July shipments recently.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  6. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm moving at the end of the month and everything I buy until then is one more thing I'll have to pack. Still, I took one more trip to my local store (which I'll actually be closer to at my new place). This time I got two ships. The Xindi-Insectoid Scoutship and the Devore Warship.

I've made a point of getting all the Xindi ships (apart from a certain one yet to be made that I've complained about on here more than once). The scoutship isn't one of the more memorable ships, but they did a superb job on this one. It's pretty much entirely die-cast (which is good, because those prongs look as fragile as the guns on a Klingon BOP). It's pretty aggressive-looking from most angles, but looks a little funny from straight on. Not much to say. Well done, Eaglemoss.

Now, onto the Devore warship. Most of the alien-of-the-week ships from Voyager don't really interest me, but this one, for whatever reason, really caught my eye on the shelf a while back and it's one I was determined to get later. I actually didn't remember which way the ship was supposed be oriented and, given the arrowhead shape and the direction the (possible) engine exhausts were facing, I assumed the arrowhead tip was the front. (Apparently, the designer himself couldn't decide and just left that choice up to the folks who made the digital model). But I found a clip from the episode "Counterpint" on Youtube an determined that it's actually the other way around. The ship actually fits in the stand either way, but definitely goes in more comfortably the right way.

I do think that the other way seems more appropriate (apart from that unsightly shuttle or cargo bay opening on the nose/tail). I know aerodynamics are not a thing in space, but still...

Nevertheless, well done, again, Eaglemoss. I like this one.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    publiusr and Markonian like this.
  7. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Any word on a release date for the Defiant prototype concept?

Markonian likes this.
  8. Markonian

Nuttin’ but tumbleweed.

9. Markonian

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    publiusr, 137th Gebirg and dantini like this.
  10. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Wow! After all this time, a new ship appears out of a 24 year-old movie, from the mouth of its creator, no less. How did everyone miss this?

Markonian likes this.
  11. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought you meant the Millennium Falcon. :)

F. King Daniel and Markonian like this.
  12. Markonian

It’s not been completely unknown. A piece of wreckage has been linked to the Zandura, and the concept art has been out in the open.

For the info page, visit https://neutralzone.de/database/indexfr.htm then Federation > Starfleet Class > Zandura

publiusr and 137th Gebirg like this.
  13. Markonian

For the discerning fan, not a difficult model to get a hold of. :rommie:

137th Gebirg likes this.
  14. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Okay, I have a vague recollection of that ship, now that I’ve seen orthos of it. I think I remember seeing it in the old Star Trek official magazine with all of Yeager’s concepts, or maybe it was in John Eaves’ artbook. Never knew it actually appeared on-screen, though. Thank you for posting that!
    Did the Falcon model ever have an official Trek-assigned name in that fleet?

Markonian likes this.
  15. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I don’t own a falcon model. Would be cool to have one with Starfleet markings on it

Markonian likes this.
  16. Markonian

If there is, it’s still unknown. It was only included as an Easter egg and not sanctioned by production.

Easiest way would probably be to get one of the dozen of different Mill Falc models released over the years, then apply the best-fitting Starfleet markigen from bobmat343.

17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

The Class of ‘96 never keeps on giving.

There is a YouTube channel where individuals craft little seen ships from RotJ and First Contact, and came up with a Feddie Falcon

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    137th Gebirg and Markonian like this.
  18. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Reading those twitter posts, it sounds like that SciFiDave dude is just trying very hard to convince both himself and others that he's seeing something that isn't actually there. The ship he's trying to make the 'Zandura' class is just a Norway:

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/firstcontacthd/firstcontacthd0221.jpg (the ship in question is at the right top of the screen)

The Zandura design wasn't used in FC. There was a piece of wreckage that doesn't seem to conform to any known ship, but it's not the 'Zandura class':

https://neutralzone.de/database/Federation/Starfleet/Zandura01.jpg

Markonian likes this.
  19. Markonian

Agreed. It’s the same case we’ve been making to get the USS Elkins from “A Time to Stand” done, when it was likely a Centaur in the scene.

20. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Are you talking about the ship right above the BoP in this scene? I think that's actually another shot of the Curry from a far distance (they composited shots of the same model here, one close up, one far away.)

http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/6x01/atimetostand_009.jpg

Markonian likes this.