Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2. Neelix02

Neelix02 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

According to some ship reviews on Youtube the collection has been extended to at least 180. Did I miss an official announcement or is this still a rumour?

3. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I know I'm late to the party, but here's how I'm displaying my collection:

Usually I have a couple of the latest and/or coolest models on the dinner table in the living room …

[​IMG]

Then some more on a shelf next to Playmates action figures, Star Trek DVDs and Blu-rays and books …

[​IMG]

And the rest in their boxes filling up another bookshelf. I've run of space to store all the boxes, though. And I'm thinking about properly labelling them on their sides, because it takes forever to find a particular model …

[​IMG]

Markonian, pst, BillJ and 4 others like this.
  4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You might have a problem. :lol:

I recognize the Playmates Abrams 1701 on the top shelf. :techman:

5. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

the XL runabout is up for preorder in the UK. and it appears to be one of the worst examples of eaglemoss' upscaling of small models for the XL line:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    crooked sensor pod aside, there's not a ton of new detail here. and it's sadly overshadowed by all the hull paneling they failed to add to this one. they're sticking with the awful impulse engines from the standard version. and they did not update the paint application to be anything more nuanced than gray and shades of gray. also, this would've been a great opportunity to fix the fact that the original model was the orinoco and not the rio grande, which was arguably the hero runabout in DS9.

Tomalak, Rahul, Michael and 2 others like this.
  6. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Missing grid lines. :weep:

saddestmoon and pst like this.
  7. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

What is that middle one. Karemma ship?

That's the first I heard of that.

Round 2 Johnny lightning Haynes manuals--I guess you have to sell cars to sell ships at a loss--like how it was wrestling magazines that let Starlog stay around as long as it did.

At least OMNI is making a comeback
    https://omnimagazine.com/

There was a book on terraforming that came from some automotive pritning house:
    Society of Automotive Engineers;
    https://www.amazon.com/Terraforming-Engineering-Environments-Martyn-Fogg/dp/1560916095

8. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

btw, just got off the phone with eaglemoss updating my credit card and the rep volunteered that issue 15 of the discovery collection (USS edison) is delayed.

i appreciated that she threw that in there, but man wouldn't it be nice if they communicated that stuff in an email? like... before it's actually delayed?

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  9. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Yes, yes I do. :sigh: And at some point I’ll have to find a solution for this. If I keep on filling up another bookshelf with those boxes my wife will kill me. I really wonder how people who throw away the boxes manage to display all of the models all of the time.

Yes, that‘s the one. I got it for my birthday when the first movie came out in 2009, I think. Really cool model and I love the soundbites from the film.

Oy, what a disappointment! They really missed a chance there to make up for the poor regular sized version of the runabout. At this size and with the lack of details it actually looks worse that the regular model. And what’s up with that crooked sensor pod? Don’t they look at those images before they upload them? It‘s a shame, because the runabout is one of my absolute favorite Trek designs.

I wish it were, but no, that‘s the Miradorn fighter/Baran‘s ship. But yeah, it‘s kinda hard to tell from this angle.

Markonian, saddestmoon and pst like this.
  10. Nate

Nate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or when they skip issues. I just got #14 Klingon Cleave Ship but haven’t gotten #13 Worker Bee.

pst likes this.
  11. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Customer communication has never been their strong suit.

drt and pst like this.
  12. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Anyone seen the ads for the new "build a 1701-D" offer? Pretty sure this is the Japanese kit from few years back brought back to life. It looks pretty damn cool.

I want it, but not sure if I can justify another sub, or another shelf.

13. Hey Missy

Hey Missy Captain Captain

I'm absolutely certain that it's just the De Agostini kit, repackaged by Eaglemoss. For one, it shares no similarities with either of Eaglemoss's Enterprise-D models.
    I should also note that Eaglemoss imports the Official Starships Collection into Japan through De Agostini.

pst likes this.
  14. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

I just got an email that my next one is the Worker Bee, thus skipping the out-of-stock Discoprise. UK here. :sigh:

Makes me wonder when I get the Shenzhou.

I’ve really been loyal until now but ships are on the webshop before they get to subscribers, and it’s cheaper to get them in sales and discounts than as sub.

15. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Really disappointed in the XL Runabout - I thought from the pics when they announced it, they were going to give us the classic Rio Grande without the pod. The pod was a rare sight in DS9 so I don't get why they've produced two models with it.

Eaglemoss are frustrating because they can produce stunning models, and some absolute turkeys.

publiusr, saddestmoon, pst and 4 others like this.
  16. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Agreed. There seem to be multiple teams doing the R&D for the models. The “B-team” appears to be in charge of the more important designs for some odd reason.

17. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

The one Rick Sternbach worked on? No, this is an entirely new one that Eaglemoss have commissioned. It's been discussed on this thread before - the consensus was that it costs a fortune and doesn't really look like the Enterprise-D. There are some bizarre choices (no saucer rim windows) and the deflector looks awful.

publiusr and pst like this.
  18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The worst part is that they have made some changes to it, just not where it counts. The join at the very front of the nose is different to the regular one, and so is the seam where it meets that little outboard "step" right behind the side door. (I think the regular one lowered it so that they could make the seam a straight line, this XL raises it back to where it is supposed to be.) Overall, pretty damn disappointing. I was looking forward to this one.

pst likes this.
  19. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hard to believe, but it's been a good month and a half (at least) since I got a new model. Between my failed attempt to find any in London and the expense of that trip, I've just been lacking in time, money, or both over the past few weeks.

I finally checked out my regular store today. While he didn't yet have the Jem'Hadar battleship that I've been hoping for, I did pick up the Vulcan ship T'Pau.

The ship is a Rick Sternbach design, according to both the magazine and Memory Alpha, he wasn't totally happy with the final product. While it's not one of the most memorable designs, I do think it's a bit interesting. Remember that, before Enterprise, there wasn't really a consistent Vulcan design aesthetic the way there was with, say, the Klingons or Romulans. Of course, this was the ship that introduced the concept of Vulcan ships having a ringed nacelle. On top of that, the color and shape of the primary hull (along with the impulse drive) helps suggest this is, while not a Starfleet ship, still a Federation ship.

I may pull out my TNG blu-rays in the next few days to watch "Unification" and get a good look at the ship's admittedly brief appearance. BTW, I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but the idea of Romulans invading the entire planet of Vulcan with only two thousand troops seems so profoundly silly, it's hard to believe someone didn't point it out even during production. To put things in perspective, there were a hundred and fifty-six thousand Allied troops involved in the D-Day landings at Normandy. Such a relatively small and easily outnumbered force would run a high risk of being captured. Not to mention, this clear act of aggression would very likely lead to war with the Federation and probably the Klingons as well.

But I'm getting off topic, I guess. Neat model. There's a few I'm holding out for though.

BillJ likes this.
  20. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I picked up issue 150 just now, not opened it though (but it looks undamaged an a good model) and it's my first ship since the XL Disco-Enterprise at the very beginning of the year.