Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

i was gonna wait for the regular excelsior XL and still may get that one, but i was being impulsive.

it's difficult to separate this design from childhood memories of being totally excited about what in hindsight was such an embarrassingly cheapo move to just modify or straight up recycle shit from previous films for generations. i had the starlog lenticular star trek generations official movie souvenir magazine and i was obsessed with this john eaves drawing:
    [​IMG]
    another example of an eaves drawing turning out better than the fully realized ship. but man did this picture get my imagination going (i was 10).

2. Hey Missy

Hey Missy Captain Captain

Yeah but they knew ahead of time they could get away with being cheap because the B had already been established as Excelsior-class.

pst likes this.
  3. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I actually really like what they did! In fact, I think they should have more often just straight up upgraded older models on Star Trek. Also, I won't even say they were being "cheap" - at this point it was already established the Enterprise-B was an Ecelsiour class ship. And doing that upgrade was IMO a good way to both stay in continuity, but still offer something more detailed for the new movie.

That being said - I always find the Excelsiour a weirdly fascinating design. Because she looks absolutely georgious from below, which how she is always filmed. Wheras the same model from the top looks IMO very awkward and weirdly proportioned.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  4. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Enterprise-B Excelsior Variant is SOOO much better than the stock Excelsior Hull Design.

pst and David cgc like this.
  5. Hey Missy

I do think the "boat hull" engineering section provides more of a visual "stability" to balance out the large saucer, especially when viewed from the front.

pst likes this.
  6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

All...2 ships? that's not really a fleet.

7. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

According to the Facebook group, a total of 4 ship types were identified.

8. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Got the Kelvin Timeline starships design book.

Includes Narada and Yorktown. And basic sketches of ships meant to appear in the construction scene at the end of Beyond. Does not include the USS Salcombe. We’ll probably never get it. :(

No CGI of the ‘09 Starfleet ships. But they’re stated to have been made from kitbashing Kelvin and Kobayashi Maru. I really would love to see them as models.

9. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Me too. Sadly, it would appear that lack of general interest in Abramsverse ships in the large scale (required by license) by Eaglemoss is limited. They probably couldn’t feasibly justify the larger cost of those models if few people are buying them. Unless something changes (like, a new movie), I doubt we’ll see many more than what’s already been announced.

10. Hey Missy

How does Hot Wheels still hold on to the license for "medium-sized" die-cast miniatures of the JJverse ships? They haven't made them for five years now.
    Furthermore, how was that even specified in an agreement? Like "okay, you guys get sole distribution rights for models of ships from those three movies in the 5-7 inch length, meaning no one else can"

11. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Some ships look weird from different angles. For those who have the Miradon ship/Baran's ship as either a Micro Machine or Eaglemoss ship, it looks pretty mean from front-on, but from the top, it loos like a rotisserie chicken!

Actually that makes a lot of sense since that's the market a company like Mattel operates in and probably doesn't want competition.

Rahul likes this.
  12. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

yeah... when i was trying to photograph it, i shot it from below which i never do when i'm sharing my models. it's a problem with displaying it now, needs to be higher than i usually have a place for. which brings me to a weird question, i have for all y'all... how do you display your ships?

my preferred method has been to keep just a couple out permanently or semi-permantly, and swap out the newest ship of the month on my desk. currently, the discovery is on a shelf in my living room (has been for a few months now), DS9 is on a bookshelf in my bedroom (has been for 2 years now), and the ship of the month sits on my desk. what do you guys do? does anyone have a house or apartment or bedroom or basement (sorry) just stuffed full of ships?

Rahul likes this.
  13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Rumour has it the CG models from ST'09 and ID were lost. Hence the deeply innacurate Kobayashi Maru, made from guesstimating a texture onto concept art with very different proportions.

Markonian likes this.
  14. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

We have a weird end table we inherited with a removable glass top; I put about a dozen in there (the XLs, and then recent acquisitions). The rest I literally just set up last weekend. I have a "study" where the walls are lined with IKEA Billy bookshelves, and now the tops of the shelves are lined with the rest of my fleet. It takes up a lot more room than I thought it would! I should try to get some nice pics.

Markonian, saddestmoon and pst like this.
  15. Nate

Nate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a three bedroom house & one room used for an office has a bookcase we had custom made. Couldn’t get the get the best lighting but here’s a pic. There are two other columns not in the shot .

[​IMG]

16. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Seriously?? Haven’t these people ever heard of a digital archive? I mean it’s not like it’s a one-of-a-kind physical model that someone dropped and shattered (like the “Balance of Terror” Romulan BOP). You can make as many copies of the mesh as you want and keep multiple physical DVD archives in a hundred vaults buried 20 stories underground. Granted, they probably didn’t think of these things when they lost the Norway-class USS Budapest model from FC and then the Son’a models from Insurrection. But you’d think that those mistakes would serve as a cautionary tale for all future model builders. That just pisses me off if true. Fucking amateurs... :mad:

Markonian, saddestmoon and pst like this.
  17. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Doesn't ring true to me - the Norway was a low-res background model only, and the Insurrection ships were lost when Digital Muse went out of business and their assets were sold.

ST09 and STID were produced by ILM! No way they would have been so careless.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The Enterprise and the KM are the only models I think they lost. The Enterprise may have been moved to computers working on the Beyond model, and in that they lost the original configuration model somewhere.

The Kobayashi Maru was not rendered as high as the other models in the 2009 movie and never used again, it could easily have been deleted or neglected etc thinking it would never be needed again.

19. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

nice grouping, chronological, by species, and by universe?
    their list: S31 Ships, NCIA-93 Leland ship, 4 nacelle, Drone carrier ship, drone ship.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    Markonian likes this.
  20. Nate

Nate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, that was the original goal. It’s gotten difficult with all the Voyager alien of the week ships and now the extra size of the Discovery line. I need to spend some time reorganizing things. Of course we’re all collectors so is it ever really done being organized ?

All are Eaglemoss or DST/Art Asylum except the large Enterprise C. I put a model together of that to complete the Enterprise lineage since who knows if we’ll actually see the one DST announced.

pst likes this.