News Star Trek: Section 31 Movie with Michelle Yeoh Announced!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Romulan_spy, Apr 18, 2023.

1. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

A TV Trek movie, not a mega-million-dollar cinematic release.

I think this is a win-win for everyone.
    • Paramount gets the buzz of having an Oscar winner starring in her own movie.
    • Michelle Yeoh fans who are not Star Trek fans could be lured into the fold.
    • Fans who are not enamored of the concept (FWIW I occupy that slice of the Venn diagram) don’t have to worry that a lot of time and expense is being spent on a full-blown TV series that could’ve been spent on a series they do want (for me, Star Trek: Legacy).
    • And fans who want to see another installment in the adventures of Emperor Philippa Georgiou will get their wish. And if the producers nail the concept, execution, and reception, the movie will be a backdoor pilot to a series (which is exactly what happened with the 2003 Battlestar Galactica miniseries).
    I think this is great news for two reasons:
    1. Even though the Emperor was not one of my favorite characters on DSC, Michelle Yeoh definitely is one of my favorite actors. I would watch her reading a phonebook, so of course I will watch this movie when it comes out. Personally, I’d love to be proven wrong re the viability of this concept as a series (but I don’t think I will be).
    2. This will be the first Star Trek TV movie. That’s a big deal! I’m rooting for this to succeed because if it does, it will open the door to more one-off movies and miniseries set in the Star Trek universe. This opens up all kinds of possibilities for stories that aren’t a good fit for a multi-year streaming series and at the same time are too niche for a theatrical release.
    Think of the possibilities! We could finally get the Klingon miniseries so many of us have been begging for! We could check in on what’s been going on with Harry Mudd (I still can’t believe we haven’t revisited him since DSC S1). Nick Meyer could finally get the Khan miniseries he was working on. Hell, we could lure new fans in an almost untapped demographic with a Star Trek romcom!

No matter where you fall on the idea of more Section 31 content, the fact that Paramount is willing to explore new avenues for delivering live action Star Trek is, for my money, unquestionably great news. LLAP!

2. Citiprime

Citiprime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Honestly, during the first season, I thought they had a great opportunity to bring her back and resolve the Klingon-Federation war plot. When they return from the Mirror Universe, I thought they might go with the idea of the fungal network sending them into the past and they would be given the chance to avert the war from ever happening, as well as saving Prime Georgiou and absolving Michael of her infamy.

But, instead, they decided to go with it sending them into the future where the Federation is losing badly, kept the Emperor, and went with "lets put a bomb at the core of Qo'noS" plot.

cooleddie74 likes this.
  3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That isn't the question though. You're speculating to the past. What would you do now with the current set up to return Prime Georgiou?

vulcancicada likes this.
  4. Citiprime

Citiprime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think that ship has sailed. Especially with Discovery being in the 32nd century. Unless they want to return them to the 23rd century in the final season and hit some reset buttons, I don't see it.

5. fireproof78

No? Impossible?

Curious.

6. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Some of the people in here -

You know, no one is forcing you to watch the movie right?

It will be an interesting test of quality to see if we can get other limited Mini Series or Movie events in the future for Star Trek on Paramount+.

7. Professor Moriarty

A movie or miniseries might be the only way we will get more more Deep Space Nine. For that reason alone I heartily support this development.

8. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    If this gets more 22nd century and/or DS9 content I'm happy to welcome the gateway drug. :)

9. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I hope it does well. That said, I'm not totally sold on a Trek movie with the main character being space hitler in charge of genocide r us.

Richard S. Ta and locborg like this.
  10. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I'm looking forward to it.

To anyone who isn't: It's a one-and-done TV Movie. No need to watch it if you don't want to.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, they have to hate watch it and post about it for the next 2 years. It's just how it is.

12. Professor Moriarty

You must be new here.

/s

antinoos, cooleddie74 and Lord Garth like this.
  13. Lord Garth

"I! I must watch it! I'm not in control of my actions! I have to watch! I have to watch! I don't want to watch! But I have to watch! No willpower!!!!!!"

14. Lord Garth

But on a more serious note...
    Yes, the TV Movie format is going to open up all kinds of possibilities now.

15. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    STAR TREK: THE ROMULAN WAR.

That would be one of the greatest announcements we could get from Paramount+. If a little Emperor Georgiou and Section 31 get us a lot of other characters and timeframes I'm here for it all.

saddestmoon, Jax, valkyrie013 and 2 others like this.
  16. Professor Moriarty

A Romulan War miniseries would be epic.

And while we are on the subject: get Diane Duane’s agent on the phone, and negotiate the rights to make a miniseries from her Rihannsu novels.

17. fireproof78

Is this like a "I need my pain speech."?

Lord Garth and Farscape One like this.
  18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Band of Brothers Star Trek :bolian:

To be fair the sort of stories we could see with limited Mini Series or one off movies are wide ranging. Early Years of the Federation, Romulan War, Cardassian Border Wars, Untold stories from the Dominion Wars, Gamma Quadrant stories post DS9, Return to DS9, Enterprise B, Enterprise C, Starfleet Intelligence show, or why not a Klingon story so something non Federation.

Professor Moriarty likes this.
  19. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Sad it's a one off and not a series - Section 31 still holds promise, but at least we get her back for an appearance.

Might still lead into a spin off show and even occasional guest spot from Yeoh.

antinoos likes this.
  20. CrockAlley

CrockAlley Lieutenant Red Shirt

I don't like the Section 31 idea, but I love Discovery, I love Michelle Yeoh, and I really liked Emperor Georgiou. I'm curious to see how they chose to continue this character's arc. A character who started out as a ruthless dictator but grew into someone who can feel compassion and love for others, now thrust into the midst of a morally ambiguous organization. Possibilities!!

Lord Garth, antinoos and Mr. Patient like this.