News Star Trek: Section 31 Movie with Michelle Yeoh Announced!

Romulan_spy

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
"Paramount+ today announced it has officially greenlit Star Trek: Section 31 starring Academy Award winner Michelle Yeoh. In this special original movie event for the service, Yeoh will return to her role as Emperor Philippa Georgiou, a character she first played in Star Trek: Discovery’s first season.

In Star Trek: Section 31, Emperor Philippa Georgiou joins a secret division of Starfleet tasked with protecting the United Federation of Planets and faces the sins of her past. Produced by CBS Studios, production will begin later this year."

https://www.startrek.com/news/star-trek-section-31-original-movie-event-michelle-yeoh

Not quite what I was hoping for, but a movie makes sense given Yeoh's schedule. And there's always potential for a spinoff if the base concept is strong.

So instead of a Yeoh section 31 spin-off, it's going to be a 'back-door movie pilot' hoping to use her to introduce a character or characters who would likely be in the 'spin-off' and not her.

IMO.

In Star Trek: Section 31, Emperor Philippa Georgiou joins a secret division of Starfleet tasked with protecting the United Federation of Planets and faces the sins of her past. Produced by CBS Studios, production will begin later this year."
So potential character exploration as she owns her sins and perhaps demonstrates an ability to evolve as a human?

Wow, a human being evolving. What a radical concept!

So we're finally getting another Star Trek movie. I've never been big on the idea of a Section 31 series, I think this is a much better way to go about it.

I wonder if it's going to be set before DSC season 2 or after season 3 with her traveling back to an unknown point in time.

Maybe this movie will polish the turd. A great actress in a "meh" Mirror Universe role plunked into the middle of a mediocre or worse Section 31 idea. With the right writers this could be a partial redemption of the whole Mirror Georgiou concept.

I agree with those that say there just isn't enough to Section 31 and Mirror Georgiou to justify a TV series, especially given the way Section 31 and the Empress were used in Discovery.

A movie might work because it can take whatever idea they have for this that they would have stretched across 10 episodes and buffeted with boring filler and subplots, and maybe condense it down to an interesting 2-hour story.

I still think one of the worst sins (of many) committed by Discovery in its first season was killing off Prime Universe Georgiou. I know it would have been a different show, but I would have loved to see Yeoh play a normal Starfleet captain dealing with problems, instead of hamming it up as the Mirror-Verse version.

Maybe this movie will polish the turd. A great actress in a "meh" Mirror Universe role plunked into the middle of a mediocre or worse Section 31 idea. With the right writers this could be a partial redemption of the whole Mirror Georgiou concept.
And if it's terrible then it can be ignored. Isn't that a good thing? Y'all who hate S31 and Georgiou can wash your hands of it Pontius Pilate style and not look back.

All of this.

Every bit of this.

I agree with those that say there just isn't enough to Section 31 and Mirror Georgiou to justify a TV series, especially given the way Section 31 and the Empress were used in Discovery.

A movie might work because it can take whatever idea they have for this that they would have stretched across 10 episodes and buffeted with boring filler and subplots, and maybe condense it down to an interesting 2-hour story.

I still think one of the worst sins (of many) committed by Discovery in its first season was killing off Prime Universe Georgiou. I know it would have been a different show, but I would have loved to see Yeoh play a normal Starfleet captain dealing with problems, instead of hamming it up as the Mirror-Verse version.

Ok, so how do we move forward now? Do we ignore it and reboot Georgiou? Would people welcome that?

Back