Star Trek: Renegades

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Danlav05, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Edit GLS

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2013
  2. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Edit

HURRAH! 'Nuff said ;)

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I finally got around to Of Gods and Men last night (at least the first forty-minutes of it). :eek:

Coupling right-wing claptrap along with terrible writing/acting and video game quality special effects will not impress CBS.

4. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

^ wholehearted agreement.

though i think if they'd said 'we worked on trek, we wanted to make our own trek, here's a fanfilm' i'd be less bothered than by the whole 'this isn't your grandfathers trek, cbs pilot' stuff theyve come out with.

5. BillJ

The way they've promoted it definitely turned me off...

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, you should demand your money back. :rolleyes:

Irks me when people complain about fan productions as if they paid to watch them.

7. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

that's a good point because if i'd payed to watch OGAM i'd want a refund.

8. BillJ

So they're above criticism? Did they put it out there only to receive a pat on the back?

The acting was atrocious, especially considering it was a group of "professionals" involved. If Renegades is as poor, CBS will laugh at them instead of merely ignoring them...

9. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

It was definitely noticeable how there was a rough edge to everyone's acting. It's very telling of how good a job the director can do to bring out the best in people. If only we could know how many takes were made on average with these folks on full fledged commercial productions.

Given that, it's still just very cool to see former Star Trek legends appear in a fan film. True, that telegraphs they have nothing better to do, but then they are also putting aside their egos and simply enjoying it. You have to expect it not to hold up to production quality. Demanding it is folly. Despite the rough feel of OGAM, I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to seeing what Renegades turns up.

I just wish Cawley would take more acting lessons. He makes Shatner's overacting look terrific.

10. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

Of Gods and Men was filmed over 6 years ago. It may have some rough edges, but it was a fun fan film. I think it is a bit harsh to judge this new film - which hasn't even begun filming beyond a teaser trailer - based on something shot 6 years ago. People learn and grow as filmmakers. Most of these people have worked on other film projects since that time, and have further developed their skills. I highly doubt that Renegades is going to be OGAM II. It is all too easy to bash something you haven't even seen yet, so I would wait and see the finished project before coming to a final judgment.

11. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

For something that involved so many professionals and promised so much, OGAM was seriously underwhelming. I don't think it heled that people associated with it really hyped it up. And to be fair, we're seeing much of the same hype this time, which is what I think is turning some people off.

That said, I'll judge this effort on it's merits. Hopefully it's an enjoyable yarn, which is really all I'm looking for. :)

12. Linnear

Linnear Lieutenant Commander

I have to agree with Nick, who as always, says it well.

13. Gary7

I agree, they did hype it up a bit more than they should have. But they feel compelled to do so given the nature of the production (low budget indie). Sales of DVDs pay back some of the overhead. I do wonder if any of the original Star Trek cast members get some compensation, even if under the table (I think being part of AFTA or SAG means you must get paid by guild/association rates, unless it's a volunteer thing).

14. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

Union actors get paid for the work they do on these films. The union would most likely not allow them to be in the films otherwise. The rate of pay would be on the low end, as these are non-profit 'indie' films. As for selling DVDs, that isn't really allowed at all. To my knowledge, you can give them away for free, but you can't sell them.

15. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Gary, all of the actors for Renegades had to be in SAG, it was a requirement, they are getting some compensation, albeit not as much as one would typically get for budget reasons. Also, we can not directly sell DVD's as it be a violation of CBS licensing.

As for STOGAM, it was six years ago, there were many issues with the production such as unbearably hot filming conditions, and trying to get the CGI done on time, etc.. It was the first time that everyone got together to make that film, over the years the core group has gotten closer and several have worked on other projects etc.. With Renegades, we looked at all the problems with STOGAM, listening to fan input etc.. We agreed on certain things that hurt STOGAM and vowed not to have those issues with Renegades. For instance no shaky cam stuff (trendy at the time with BSG, etc.) , making sure everything is done at minimum of 1080 HD, sets and lighting issues etc.. We have also haggled over story elements making sure canon is upheld and to trying to make sure things do not draw too heavily on knowledge of the past series and films.

16. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

I'll be happy as long as the script is good. That was really the main thing that let OGAM down for me.

17. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

It's more of a group effort this time, there are 3 writers but the core group has input on it as well.

18. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

I remember calling OGAM "It's a Wonderful Trek." :vulcan:

19. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

Sorry...you are making an assumption that is completely wrong. The current SAG union contract's requirements for members being employed by SAG signatory "new media" (on-line), whether new or derivative (based on another property), is pretty clear...and simple. The contract says it is up to the union member to negotiate what or if they will get paid. They are free to work for free if that is what they are willing to do. (For the production, there are paperwork requirements whether they get paid or not (because all hours worked count toward the member's benefits...believe me, I know...:rolleyes: )

If this is a television pilot, as implied, that is entirely different...they would hit the "low scale" union contract level.

However, if the production is also a WGA signatory, well, the WGA contract is much more specific and the writer's have to get a pretty penny for any and all work!

20. Gary7

^ That's news to me, and welcome at that. It at least gives some actors flexibility to do productions off the major commercial path without nasty entanglements and touchy policies.

Funny, somehow thought that there were DVD sales, but priced supposedly "at cost" for the materials and overhead to make them. Well, I guess for most people with high speed internet connections, downloading is simple enough. The fact that they are free should help loosen up some of the criticism. This is done for the sake of loving the genre, not to make a profit, and so they can't be too nitpicky... right?