Spoilers Star Trek Picard - Only for Adults?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Kilana2, Feb 23, 2020.

1. serabine

serabine Commander Red Shirt

This. And maybe talk to your children before and after. My media intake was mostly unsupervised because my parents both worked shift, so I often couldn't talk through stuff.

I actually haven't watched Alien since I was a kid, and back then it was scary but exciting, especially since I could tell it was supposed to be a scary story just from the cinematography. I have definitely more mental scarring by watching Plague Dogs which was shown on a Sunday morning because look at the cartoon dogs! Look at them suffering through animal testing and being hunted down. Yay, they are going to drown trying to reach the island that's probably not even there. Or coming across Grave of the Fireflies on the French/German culture channel as a kid one evening. Oh, look! Anime! ... about a boy and a girl after the bombing of Tokio! Awww, the little girl is starving to death.

It's not just Amazon, actually. Since 2007 cigarette vending machines have to control the age of the buyer either by your government ID, your drivers licence, or information from the chip card of your debit card.

2. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just show them Terminator 2 because it teaches family values

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

With kids it just depends. Each child has their own sensitivity and fears. A friend of mine could never watch Home Alone as it would cause nightmares. Me and my siblings had no issue.

For me, it's more about being involved as a parent. If I'm watching something with my kids then I have watched it before and know their sensitivities. I am fine telling them to close their eyes or skipping scenes. Star Trek is no different.

Midquest and Bad Thoughts like this.
  4. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Commodore Commodore

Greener pastures, working on something great.
    It depends on the show up here. Sometime a TV-MA show in the US is 18A in Canada, and sometimes a TV-MA show in the US is TV-14 in Canada. PIC is considered TV-14 in Canada.

However, there was a time when ENT was considered TV-14 during its airing, and outside of light cussing (no f-bombs or s-bombs), a certain Trip/T’Pol scene in “Harbinger” that got censored in the US because of brief nudity, and Archer blowing up Commander Dolim in “Zero Hour,” and Archer shooting an Augment, nothing was really TV-14. ENT is considered a PG show now.

Blooded likes this.
  5. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember watching og trek .. As like 4-5 year old.. And tng at 8.. Except for the remick scanners boom .. It was all good.
    As for this.. Disco and now Picard.. I wouldn't show it to a kid under 10..
    Heres the thing.. It Doesn't Need It.. !!

jaime likes this.
  6. fireproof78

I remember watching Star Wars at 8. Now, the new Star Wars, I would watch with my kids.

It's OK. Things change.

7. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I was pretty damn sensitive about things that I considered scary or just plain weird when I was in my single digits, but by the time I was 12, I was watching old Universal horror flicks and The Twilight Zone.

8. Cake

Cake Captain Captain

It seems they changed it from 18 to 16.

Unimatrix Q likes this.
  9. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

I saw far more graphic things on Cable and in Movies when I was 12 and I certainly heard far more salty language at school when I was 12

DaveyNY and Hythlodeus like this.
  10. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Ironically, I spend less time comforting my son over the horrors shown in contemporary television and film than feeling bad about the things he likes because a bunch of adults have started flying off the handle. Why should he feel badly about liking "Last Jedi" because men in their 40s and 50s start talking about traditions that are being destroyed and disrespected? What right do they demand that he hate it because the protagonist happens to be a woman? A small amount of gore is easy to deal with: the line between reality and media is very clear. These men complaining about every little detail at the highest volume are simply modeling poor behavior.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    Masiral, DaveyNY, Ovation and 6 others like this.
  11. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

If you are my age and British, you saw threads and nothing on US TV phases you.

PiotrB, jaime and Paul Weaver like this.
  12. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Teachable Moment: "Son, opinions are like assholes..."

SolarisOne, ITDUDE and Hythlodeus like this.
  13. fireproof78

Awesome opportunity and example.

Hythlodeus and Bad Thoughts like this.
  14. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope so for my sake. I'm embarrassed to say that there were times when I expressed opinions too loudly and too forcefully. I regret how it made him feel. I'd rather be a good model than have Star Trek made to my desire.

15. fireproof78

Mistakes are made in parenting. It's a beautiful opportunity to model repair in a relationship.

Hythlodeus and Bad Thoughts like this.
  16. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

O you sweet summer child. Thinking kids under 16 dont watch worse :lol:

17. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Commodore Commodore

Greener pastures, working on something great.
    Yes. Kids can find worse on the internet, even on a mainstream site like YouTube.

Turtletrekker and ITDUDE like this.
  18. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Kids and people might see worse in real life, agreed. I used to work in a refugee camp. One of the women (the people were mostly from Syria and Iraq) supposedly saw one of her children being killed in a battle zone - right in front of her eyes. So now here we see show scenes where you know that the actor remains unscathed after filming a horrible scene. A child being shot can't be brought back to life. So yes, I agree. There are bad things children could see. Some of them keep on living, other suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder.

NCC-73515 and Bad Thoughts like this.
  19. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My kids watch shit on YouTube that should be illegal at any age. And no parent control app seems to block it, nor do I want to (which i can do easily enough.... 127.0.0.1 youtube.com ;)) because they are morally stable and they should not be blocked from things that they want to see.

20. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I watch it with my thirteen-year-old daughter.

I watch it first without her to be sure of the content... but I'd be watching it multiple times anyway, so that's not terribly inconvenient.

fireproof78 likes this.