Spoilers Star Trek Picard - Only for Adults?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Kilana2, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

That's a no. Some of the stuff in Discovery and Picard is too much for children to be shown (decapitated baby, Icheb's Hostel tribute). Teenagers are gonna watch what they want but young children need to be protected. That said, there's some stuff in the Trek movies and the odd episode here or there of Berman Trek I wouldn't let young children watch either (Remmick's exploding head, Ceti Eels). Obviously pre teens and teenagers are gonna find a way to see whatever they want. I'd just talk to them and make sure they know not to take the violence and gore seriously.

Armus and Skipper like this.
  2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Walt Disney had a hard-on for killing off one or more parents, and so does his successors at Disney/Pixar.

3. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm. I have relatives who started watching TNG as toddlers.

On the other hand, I was in at least 6th or 7th grade when "The Man Trap" gave me nightmares, and I was at least in my 30s before I saw it for the second time. I've said this many times, and I'll probably say it again, but if it had been my first episode of Star Trek, it would have also been my last.

And as to The Velveteen Rabbit, I've read it exactly once, at well above the target age group, and I regard it as an unmitigated piece of shit without so much as a single redeeming characteristic.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    fireproof78 likes this.
  4. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Coming to this discussion a bit late, I guess... I just recalled that years ago when "Star Trek: Enterprise" was brand new, I posted a thread here at this very BBS asking if they should push the envelope with content and open the way for greater creative expression by making episodes rated TV-14 instead of sticking with plain ol' TV-PG. The response was pretty universally "NO, not necessary, this is a family show!"

I believe "Carpenter Street" may have been the first Trek episode to ever get the TV-14 rating; I distinctly remember being rather surprised when I saw the rating displayed on the screen as the episode started (even TNG "Conspiracy" is rated TV-PG in later reruns). How times change.

Kor

Turtletrekker and SolarisOne like this.
  5. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

It reminds me of late-80s TV in general. Like "War of the Worlds", which had a caption for viewer discretion at the time. It seemed more gimmicky than anything else upon a revisit, but I'm still a fan of that show. Doctor Who did that in the 80s as well. shows will try different things for x reasons. Trek is using more outright horror in ways they couldn't or wouldn't, especially after doing what other shows were with the late-80s craze via season one's "Conspiracy". If it works with the plot, then the only line remaining is gratuitousness and/or extent or lack thereof.

6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is a content warning before it airs, and there is a age rating on the top left (or right?) at the start of each episode.

7. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is that, yes.

8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's the job of the parents/caregivers.

9. Terok Nor

Obviously.

10. fireproof78

Apparently not, since I keep seeing people reacting to Picard like they cannot possibly filter content to their youngers.

11. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I could put some in. It'll need a rewrite, but...

12. Terok Nor

Did I do that? :cardie:

13. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

Just Sir PatStew full frontal, but maybe I'm just thinking about something else

14. fireproof78

Sorry, that was meant as far more general than it came across. It seems obvious to me but that doesn't always seem to be the case around the fandom

15. MrPointy

MrPointy Captain Captain

Ah yes. Then I will... make it so.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

[​IMG]

17. MrPicard

MrPicard Jean-Luc's Loving Husband Fleet Captain

Ah man, THAT would make me watch the show. :angel:

NCC-73515 likes this.
  18. gvn2fly

gvn2fly Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have a ten year old. He's not a huge fan but has watched The Wrath of Khan through Voyage Home and First Contact and liked them. He also likes some TOS and TNG episodes he's watched with me. He's been in the room when I've watched and rewatched Discovery and Picard, but isn't interested. I would let him watch everything in Picard except the Icheb "eye" scene.

Bad Thoughts likes this.
  19. gvn2fly

gvn2fly Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I watched both of the older Trek examples when I was 8 and it wasn't bad. Conspiracy was one of my favorite episodes as a kid.