Spoilers Star Trek: Picard General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Tuskin38, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

At least we got to actually see Ro again in new material. Plus they could write a novel with her that fills in the gap between TNG and Picard season 3.

Commander Troi and TedShatner10 like this.
  2. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We've already had Ro novels that covered the same ground but with differences to what we got in Picard. Not sure what writer would want to retread that. For what it's worth, even that other star franchise doesn't re-cover the same events from the Legends continuity (for example Anakin and Obi-Wan's mission to Ansion, mentioned in Attack of the Clones, won't be rewritten despite its novel now declared non-canon by Disney)

At best maybe an IDW comic which seems less hesitant to retread old ground (they've done like 2 versions of the ending of Kirk's 5 year mission)

3. Quinton

Quinton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder if we'll get info on anything come First Contact Day. I was doing the math - we'll still have a few episodes of Picard left when that happens. I can't remember though, did they do much of anything with First Contact Day last year and/or the year before? Star Trek Day, I remember. FC, not so much.

4. Anduinel

Anduinel Captain Captain

It's a recurring theme with this series, alas. At least she got a better send-off than Q, Hugh, or Icheb.

MrShinzoff likes this.
  5. Yistaan

First Contact Day is April 5. Frontier Day is April 16 presumably (when Broken Bow took place in-universe). A trailer supposedly said there's only 48 hours left until Frontier Day. At best we could say Season 3 starts on April 6 and the season lasts around 10 days, assuming it ends on Frontier Day.

6. Quinton

Quinton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh man, I really could have been clearer.

I meant information on the future of the franchise when First Contact Day arrives IRL, haha.

Yistaan likes this.
  7. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

It is a great shame that just as they begin to know/remember how to make a proper continuation of 24th century Trek again, the series is going to end in 5 episodes. :wah:

8. gvn2fly

gvn2fly Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There were some trailers and announcements during First Contact Day 2021 (Picard teaser, Discovery teaser, prodigy announcement and animation pictures, lower decks trailer and season 2 release date).

Last year's first contact day had the first Picard season 3 teaser that revealed the entire cast was returning and also had the SNW trailer.

So there's a good chance we'll get SNW and Lower Decks trailers this year, but beyond that who knows. There may not be any new shows if Paramount is looking to cut back costs.

Commander Troi and Quinton like this.
  9. trekfan_1

trekfan_1 Commander Red Shirt

Does anyone else think Ro Laren in Picard looked like Admiral Cornwell from Discovery?

10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

No.

I liked Ro.

11. dinzy

dinzy Captain Captain

Drinking Jippers on a beach somewhere in MD
    They brought her back to let her and Picard have closure and that closure/forgiveness happened because there was no other time to do it. They killed her off because there is a lot left to do in this season. Nothing felt wasted to me. Perhaps forced, but we have only 5 episodes left and we need to see Geordi, Lore, Moriarty, Troi in person, any other guests, reveal the mystery behind Jack and the changelings, and get a final 10 or so minutes to wrap up the whole TNG story for good.

12. fireproof78

Indeed. Imagine her just hanging around on the bridge and looking bored. It's why Obi-Wan was killed off. It's ok for characters to die; it's not a waste.

Commander Troi and SJGardner like this.
  13. dinzy

dinzy Captain Captain

Looking back on TNG and the utterly pathetic episodes in S1 and the clip show finale for S2, the have a strong precedent for wasting 2 seasons.

BlueStuff likes this.
  14. dinzy

dinzy Captain Captain

I thought every minute with Ro was awesome. I was surprised, confused how she was in Starfleet, wondering if she was a changeling, liking it when Picard pulled the phaser and how she was the one to stand down. The whole confrontation and ultimate ending was a great end for the character.

15. fireproof78

A shame? Not at all. It's a well told story, leaving the audience wanting more.

There is no shame in that!
    Absolutely!
    :beer:

Commander Troi likes this.
  16. trekfan_1

trekfan_1 Commander Red Shirt

Wasn't a criticism just an observation. But admittedly, I may be suffering from a version of color blindness (my week ability to recognize similar likeliness between people)

17. fireproof78

I can see where you're coming from but I do not see the similarity. Though, Ro's presence reminded me of someone else that I can't quite place.

18. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Looked more like Admiral Cain to me.

19. Yistaan

I think we should all remember that Matalas said that Vadic and her group have sympathetic reasons for doing what they do. As destroying a Starfleet recruitment center and impersonating whole swaths of Starfleet are horrific actions in themselves, for Matalas to make that kind of statement in regards to the changelings means the Federation must have done something really, really, really bad for anyone to remotely sympathize with Vadic and the Changelings.

20. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought he said just Vadic did?