Spoilers Star Trek: Picard General Discussion Thread

No way! It's a terrible introduction to Trek. It relies way to heavily on pretty much all of Trek history to build it's story as you need to know that in order to recognize the dystopian elements as being incorrect. Time travel and such are confusing too, even for some science fiction fans. So, yeah, not sure what was expected...
This is spot on, in particular in relation to established characters. This wouldn’t be the best way for Picard to bow out, would it… surely Patrick Stewart would have put a stop to this? Jeri Ryan? I guess that they just do what they are told though as actors.

My friends now have bad impressions of Seven of Nine and Picard, hopefully season 3 can redeem them. By the way, these are not my opinions as a Star Trek fan, but neutral opinions from friends as I said. I really enjoyed Picard season 1 and 2, I think. :shrug:

Could Terry Matalas be… Stewey??? From TrekBBS many moons ago??? :eek:
It cannot be!
Can't be. Terry Matalas worked on ENT. Our Stewey would've rather died. (For newbies out there, I swear this is not an exaggeration!) Plus he would've boycotted PIC just for showing an overhead holographic image of the Discoprise instead of the TOS Enterprise, if nothing else.

Last edited:
Also, my friends have never seen Voyager, so they have no background on the Seven of Nine character. They do not understand why my hero is a violent generic action movie women who was president of a dictatorship on Earth, a women who has no interest in science and does not display any exceptional qualities or inquisitiveness (as she did in the past on Voyager).

If I showed them who Seven of Nine was on Voyager then they would understand why I like Seven of Nine as a character so much.

On Voyager, Seven had the choice of either being a scientist or being tossed out an airlock.

My love of the character Seven of Nine has defaulted on to the same (but different) character as depicted in Picard as a result of someone else’s vision for the character; a character who is now quite different to how she was on Voyager… unrecognizably so.

Are your friends the same people that they were in 2001? I'm not.

People change over time.

She is literally just Jeri Ryan on Picard lol
No. For some reason, I don't think Jeri Ryan would ever shoot up a bar in a lawless town to get revenge for her surrogate son who was murdered by the likes of them. But maybe Jeri Ryan has another side to her. I also think Jeri Ryan is straight.

So, no, Jeri Ryan isn't playing Jeri Ryan. She's playing a different version of Seven.

People seem to forget that Seven did evolve over the course of Voyager’s run. The Seven in “Endgame” was different from the Seven in the 4th season. How she’s depicted in PIC seems a reasonably natural 20 year evolution of that progression, especially based on what we saw in “Unimatrix Zero” and “Human Error”. There’s even moments where she slips into something resembling the “old” Seven when under pressure etc. Good acting I thought.

I’ve seen various interviews with Jeri Ryan over the years, and it doesn’t feel for a second like she is playing “Jeri Ryan” in PIC.

No. For some reason, I don't think Jeri Ryan would ever shoot up a bar in a lawless town to get revenge for her surrogate son who was murdered by the likes of them. But maybe Jeri Ryan has another side to her. I also think Jeri Ryan is straight.

So, no, Jeri Ryan isn't playing Jeri Ryan. She's playing a different version of Seven.
I think that this thread sums it all up from various perspectives.

Jeri goes back and forth between human Annika and Seven the Machine.

The Voyager monotone comes out when she's angry or frustrated (you can hear it when she's yelling at Picard at the end of "Stargazer").

She is literally just Jeri Ryan on Picard lol

Jeri can act (there is a reason the woman is on Picard).

She's one HELL of an actor.

Last edited:
Jeri goes back and forth between human Annika and Seven the Machine.

The Voyager monotone comes out when she's angry or frustrated (you hear it when she's yelling at Picard at the end of "Stargazer").
Her speech was not monotone or robotic, it was a part of her character and relayed her basic emotions in an effective and simple way without being a ‘child like’ voice. This voice is also unintentionally authoritative due to its bluntness, so Seven should use this tone when acting in an official capacity, such as commanding a starship. She can speak to her friends in ‘Annika voice’ when talking a less formal tone. But wouldn’t Annika voice actually be her voice as a child *before* she was assimilated?

Which voice do you think that Seven was speaking with when she was president of the Confederation @Danja ?

Which voice do you think that Seven was speaking with when she was president of the Confederation @Danja ?

I think she was trying to get her bearings. She was going along until she was able to find Rios and the rest of the crew and get out.

I liked how she ordered out for coffee (it seems she picked it up from Janeway :D ).

Her speech was not monotone or robotic, it was a part of her character and relayed her basic emotions in an effective and simple way without being a ‘child like’ voice.

It was definitely monotone.

But wouldn’t Annika voice actually be her voice as a child *before* she was assimilated?

I don't think even SHE knows who Annika is (she admits to being Seven a lot longer than being Annika).

Last edited:
I think she was trying to get her bearings. She was going along until she was able to find Rios and the rest of the crew and get out.

I liked how she ordered out for coffee (it seems she picked it up from Janeway :D ).
I meant the parallel universe Annika’s voice, not Seven’s. President Hansen would not have had Seven’s voice as she was never assimilated. Would this have been Annika Hansen‘s true voice? :shrug:

Back