Spoilers Star Trek: Picard General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Tuskin38, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Reanok, cooleddie74 and Quinton like this.
  2. Quinton

Quinton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

"Star Trek: Picard season 1 rewrote Star Trek canon."
    "with a cameo by Picard"
    ...what did they watch? XD

Nerys Myk likes this.
  4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

So I noticed something interesting. A friend of mine found concept art for Commodore Oh's costume, and the emblem on the floor of the concept art is the Romulan Republic emblem from Star Trek Online.

It's just concept art, it most likely means nothing. DSC Season 1 costume concept art for example used an image of a corridor from the NX-01 in the background. It could be a placeholder for the emblem they went with in the final episodes.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/q95RDN
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Jinn likes this.
  5. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good article from Screen rant there's been a few videos on YouTube saying Scott Bacula maybe returning as Captain Archer in a time travel story.Very interesting guesss about the time travel causing the Temporal Time war in Enterprise.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  6. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm honestly still hoping Lower Decks has an Enterprise-themed episode.

Jinn and cooleddie74 like this.
  7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I want a TOS episode, and any scenes in the past are inspired by the TAS art style.

Jinn, Nerys Myk and cooleddie74 like this.
  8. Rhodan

Rhodan Commander Red Shirt

Well, we had TAS-style pictures of Kirk and Spock in S1 finale... Aaaanyway, I want to see Mariner in TOS-like uniform... And being spanked by Freeman.

9. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    CBS seems to be going out of its way to make both the DSC aesthetic and TOS look canon in-universe based on the LD visual reference to TAS. Which, hey, I'm cool with. I can buy that Starfleet looks a certain way in 2257 and another in 2267.

10. ThreeEdgedSword

ThreeEdgedSword Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Akiva Goldsman interview:

Switching to Picard, what did you guys learn from the first season in terms of pulling off the show that you’re bringing into season two?

“Figure out the end earlier. If you’re going to do a serialized show, you have the whole story before you start shooting. It’s more like a movie in that way – you better know the end of your third act before you start filming your first scene.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...strange-new-worlds-plan-evolving-q-for-picard

(No kidding, Sherlock!

While the season ending certainly *felt* that way to me, I never thought they really, actually made it up as they went along... LOL.)

The original, pre-COVID-19 plan was to shoot seasons two and three of Picard back-to-back. Is that still happening?

I would love to answer that, but I cannot.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  11. Coops

Coops Captain Captain

With regards legacy characters returning, is anybody else of the opinion that by the time Picard finally wraps for the last time, perhaps after a third season, we'll have seen them all? Worf, La Forge, both Krushers, Tasha Yar/Sela and maybe O'Brien too?

12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's not how all writers think.

13. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When I read one of the interviews on Trekmovie they hope since they had alot longer time to write scripts and hoped for better story telling for all the characters in season 2.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    ThreeEdgedSword likes this.
  14. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Thing is.... yes. Because they spent a series building up the return of Data. Right from episode one. And it wasn’t a clever ‘ooh we subverted expectations’ so much as complete shambles. Whereas a Q snap... well, he’s done it before. Tapestry is all about that. Worst case, you say it’s been done before.

15. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anyone who seriously thought that was leading to the *return* of Data wasn't paying attention (or was watching the whole show through wishful thinking glasses).

Plenty of plausible reasons not to like Picard becoming an android, but 'they were supposed to bring Data back!' is not one of them.

Llywela, NCC-73515 and antinoos like this.
  16. jaime

So... the whole, from episode one ‘you can grow a Soong type, with its memories from one tiny positron’ thing, the stuff with the painting of soju/Dahj (which incidentally, went basically no where, and problematically includes no mention of Lal... and was any of their story dealt with ?) the little bit of echoing with Riker and Troi’s son *could* have been saved, and then the bond between their daughter and Soji...the ‘growing body’ that until the last moment would have literally looked like Data only older (because his ‘brother’ intended to transfer himself into it) even the very existence of the Data backup box... none of these things point towards a return of Data, even if just to say ‘I’m going to stay with my people Jean-Luc, thankyou for saving me, I have related my experience to the giant tentacle AI god, and he has promised not to kill anyone after all... my experiences with you and all my friends have shown it that peaceful coexistence with organic life is possible.’ In a sort of Odo ending, wasn’t on the cards narratively at any point up to the ‘pull my plug, but don’t tell Geordi or Riker or anyone, but lots of people that never met me should be very sad indeed, just like they were for you after knowing you for two weeks’ ending we got?
    It was more than a little confused, and I used to enjoy reading Doctor Who books by Lawrence Miles, following convoluted stories is my hobby.

17. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

It was about Data's legacy, not his resurrection.

18. jaime

It managed quite significantly to not be coherently about that either. Literally 90 percent of the episodes at some point featured on how he was missed. And shall we ask how he managed to gift Picard a painting of daughters he did not have, and I probably need to rewatch, but were all of those droids made by Soong and Maddox based on Data?
    It lost its focus and didn’t build on its narrative in the end, and I think that’s why it is a bit of a letdown. I mean, it’s not SW:TLJ, but it’s awfully close. And it suffers from the same things the last two TNG films did... Stewart and Spiner with heavy script control.

19. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    One of the biggest disappointments in a season I generally liked was the failure to mention Lal as Data's first daughter, even as a passing reference from Picard when finding out who Dahj really was. For all the commendable continuity references I'll give Kurtzman and Co. and all the things they got right they did drop some pretty big balls along the way.

20. Precious Tritium

Precious Tritium Commander Red Shirt

I could be way off base, but I never got the impression that Data painted Soji and Dahj. I always assumed the painting came first, as part of Data’s artistic growth aboard the Enterprise, and then the synthetics when they were actually created years later, were designed after the painting itself.