Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 3x05 - "Imposters"

Engage!

• Total voters
Usually when a major female character dies, it's hollow and more-or-less used to show how bad a bad guy is, and to stick it to the actor who plays her. Ok, I only really have Yar and Jadzia as examples, but seriously "Oh death is not supposed to be noble." Fuck that shit. I'm glad they gave Ro a sendoff she deserves, dying a hero, and yes, standing up for what she believes. She was a victim, sure, but she fought to the end, not just tossed aside by a sludge monster or Power Form Super Dukat.

I guess I'll never see Kira and Ro on-screen together now. Unless it's animated and a flashback.

I can get Shaw knowing about Generations and Insurrection, but how the hell does he know about "All Good Things"? At the end of the day in the Prime Timeline, all that objectively happened was that Picard woke up one day, asked Worf and Troi what the stardate was, then told a wild story about how Q tried to destroy humanity with an anti-time anomaly in the Devron system in three timelines including an alternate future. But none of that actually happened within the Prime Timeline itself.

Even if Starfleet believed Picard, I see no reason why they'd make that info public at all.

This is the kind of bullshit writing on Star Trek Picard that shows that NuTrek writers don't know Star Trek.

"Edge of the Alpha Quadrant" is a useless statement. What does that mean in this context?

Do you know what is one "edge of the Alpha Quadrant"?
Earth.

One "edge of the Alpha Quadrant" (between alpha and beta) is literally in the middle of Federation space.

Writers on Discovery use similar lingo. They just want to say "Quadrant", because it sounds Star Trekish.

FrUwOedWYAEbX29

9ssp4vd9aujz.gif
I admit that the line bugged me, but I've become so used to these kinds of mistakes that they don't bother me any more. Particularly when I have more fundamental issues with the structure of the show.

I can get Shaw knowing about Generations and Insurrection, but how the hell does he know about "All Good Things"? At the end of the day in the Prime Timeline, all that objectively happened was that Picard woke up one day, asked Worf and Troi what the stardate was, then told a wild story about how Q tried to destroy humanity with an anti-time anomaly in the Devron system in three timelines including an alternate future. But none of that actually happened within the Prime Timeline itself.

Even if Starfleet believed Picard, I see no reason why they'd make that info public at all.

Picard would've had to report the incident to Starfleet Command, since it did involve the Q, who have put humanity on trial. I don't think they'd not believe him considering what the Q are capable of.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the great. We are so so lucky to have such minor nitpicks to worry about, and not massive ruptures in continuity or character assassinations.

From a major NuTrek critic of SNW, DISCOVERY, and PICARD season 1, I'd ask my fellow NuTrek sceptics to take the win on this episode...

Picard warned the whole fleet never to cross their inverse tachyon streams ;)

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the great. We are so so lucky to have such minor nitpicks to worry about, and not massive ruptures in continuity or character assassinations.

From a major NuTrek critic of SNW, DISCOVERY, and PICARD season 1, I'd ask my fellow NuTrek sceptics to take the win on this episode...
This episode was very, very good. I just wish they didn't have to character assassinate Beverly Crusher to make this happen. Time will tell whether it was necessary for the story, presumably when we find out what the connection between being Picard's son and a macguffin for changelings is. If there was no need for the changeling macguffin to be the son of Picard specifically, we could've had just as good a story without making Beverly act out of character.

This is the kind of bullshit writing on Star Trek Picard that shows that NuTrek writers don't know Star Trek.

"Edge of the Alpha Quadrant" is a useless statement. What does that mean in this context?

Earth.

One "edge of the Alpha Quadrant" (between alpha and beta) is literally in the middle of Federation space.

Writers on Discovery use similar lingo. They just want to say "Quadrant", because it sounds Star Trekish.

FrUwOedWYAEbX29

9ssp4vd9aujz.gif
Your statement makes absolutely no sense .... so who don't know STAR TREK ... the writers or you.
You are nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking. And this time there is actually no reason for it at all

This was a GREAT episode. We're 5 episodes into the season and they're just hit after hit. What the hell is happening?

What really baffles me is, this was produced and shot back-to-back with season 2, the season 2 that was (so I've read) garbled all to hell by COVID and other production problems. How did they pull this off?

Daystrom looks like Jupiter station with additional stuff

This part made me unreasonably giddy.

Some thoughts:

So, Jack is basically Jason Bourne? Okay.

I was not at all on board with the idea of using the Conspiracy parasites for this story, but this episode feels like it was written with them in mind. Infiltrating the upper levels of Starfleet to seize power, and the whole business with having corpses to dissect feels not at all like the Changelings, even with the handwave about evolution.

Something about Ro v. Picard didn't quite land for me. It's been a long time since I've seen Preemptive Strike, but wasn't her betrayal aimed more at Riker than Picard? As I recall, the later episodes with Ro were teasing a relationship between her and Riker.

The season is a decent mix of character and plot, but TBH I'm more invested in the potboiler plotting. Despite some faults, by the end of each episode I can't wait to see what happens next.

Earth.

FrUwOedWYAEbX29

9ssp4vd9aujz.gif

There's like 53 minutes of good content in this and you fixate on the 54th

Back