Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 3x05 - "Imposters"

Engage!

• Total voters
Just finish watching this episode the 2nd time, the intrepid can't be on fire as it is space, there is no oxygen, so the wrap nacelles can't be on fire.
Star Trek has never been hard science fiction. There's no sound in space too but trek does that. The 90s shows also had scenes with visible fire coming from ships in space.

If you want a head canon reason, maybe the fire is being fed by the glasses coming from the nacelle itself.

Last edited:
Tidbit: in Matalas’ intentions he wanted to reveal she was beamed out at the last moment and held captive by the changelings.m but they had no budget to film this (and a lot of other stuff). All in all I think it’s better this way: she went out in a blaze of glory and this kind of “nobody ever dies” philosophy is kinda the opposite excess of what they did in season 1.
I didn't know that, about Matalas' intention for Ro's final scene.

In this instance, I say thank goodness for budgetary constraints. It seems fortuitous that Ro got the ending she got rather than what was originally intended by Matalas, if that was indeed what was intended.

The last time we saw Ro, in TNG "Preemptive Strike", she was also on board a shuttle. It was fitting back then, that Ro's last act in "Preemptive Strike" was her beaming out of the shuttle, in order to join her Maquis compatriots.

Her beaming off the shuttle was a fitting symbol of her abandonment and betrayal of Starfleet and of Picard.

This time around, in "Imposters", Ro stayed on board the shuttle and demonstrated her loyalty to Starfleet by making the ultimate sacrifice by crashing the shuttle, in order to defend Starfleet.

Those two contrasting shuttle scenes were the perfect bookends to Ro's character arc.

The questioning of Ro's loyalty and trustworthiness was a recurring theme in Ro's arc. In "Imposters" Ro's character arc had come full circle, once again.

The questioning of Ro's loyalty and trustworthiness was a recurring theme in Ro's arc. In "Imposters" Ro's character arc had come full circle, once again.
Good point, but I think Shelby's arc was even more fitting. Riker all but told Shelby in BOBW that her lust for power to get to the top and recklessness on the way there was going to endanger everything and everyone around her. Except even Riker didn't realize it'd lead to her unwittingly ushering one of Starfleet's greatest catastrophes, the mass slaughter and assimilation at Frontier Day, including the death of Shelby herself. (It's made very clear multiple times in Picard that Shelby was one of the people ignoring the warnings about linking the fleet from wiser officers like La Forge)

Back