Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 1x10 - "Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2"

Rate the episode...

• Total voters
Hello, and hope you're enjoying TBBS. :bolian:

- then chris tries to destroy the terminal, but only has one grenade with him, narek made 12 of them.
That was pretty ridiculous. They couldn't all carry football bombs but surely having more than one grenade with them would have been a sensible approach.

-after the signal was destroyed, they just let oh go, even though she was responsible for the masacre at mars.
That's probably the most annoying plot point for mine. All the knowledge she has (given her position / status in Starfleet) and they just let her go. Really?

I bet that bitch Narissa is still alive. She had that personal transport thing.
I hope not. She was too one-dimensional and dull for my liking. Plus she killed Hugh, so karma etc.

Kirk also let enemy ships and commanders leave peacefully after verbally threatening them. It's not a new Starfleet tactic by a longshot. The corbomite tactic reused in "The Deadly Years(TOS)" scared off the attacking Romulans without the Enterprise having to attack and destroy them.

I don't think it is in the Federation's MO to attack first. The ensuing fight to capture Oh would have resulted in her death, the death of thousands of Starfleet personnel, destruction of quite a few ships and tens of thousands of Romulans dead. For what? An execution? And what about the long term ramifications? For Riker and Picard particularly. Starfleet has a habit of being more defensive than aggressive, they don't start fights but will finish them.

The Commodore will get whats coming to her sooner or later.

Personally I would not have let her leave alive, she knows far too much.

I would have had all the Starfleet ships concentrate fire on her flagship but left the other Romulan ships alone unless they tried to defend her.

A fitting response to the attack on Mars and a fitting smack up the ear for the Tal'Shiar (cheeky feckers), while it may frighten the synths it would also show them that Starfleet is not afraid to pull the trigger when it matters the most.

As long as the Commodore is alive to spread her Zhat Vash mind meld madness no one is really safe.

However it may be that she was spared simply for future plot reasons, perhaps she will try to make amends or be of use down the line.

I don't think it is in the Federation's MO to attack first. The ensuing fight to capture Oh would have resulted in her death, the death of thousands of Starfleet personnel, destruction of quite a few ships and tens of thousands of Romulans dead. For what? An execution? And what about the long term ramifications? For Riker and Picard particularly. Starfleet has a habit of being more defensive than aggressive, they don't start fights but will finish them.
Adding to that, the Romulans think they have the upper-hand against the Synths. They don't think they have the upper-hand against the Federation. They have to fight them in sneakier ways. So the Romulans don't want to start a war and the Federation won't start one, so that leaves the stalemate intact. They'll come up with some bullshit treaty so they don't have to break out of their respective roles. Both sides want to keep the stalemate going.

I think the next problem the Romulans will have will be internal. There are going to be several Romulans who won't appreciate that one of their own stopped the Federation ships that could've saved Romulus. Unless they kept that a lie and unspoken too.

If Romulus was evacuated years in advance of 2387, and had time to prepare, I think they want to act as if they're still intact (even if fractured) and want to keep things with the Federation (and everyone else) the same. The Romulans strike me as a people who thrive off the Status Quo and The Way Things Are. They don't like change. And going to war with the Federation is a pretty big change. But so is being allies with them and taking aid from them. So that's why they're in the situation they're in now.

The Commodore will get whats coming to her sooner or later.

Personally I would not have let her leave alive, she knows far too much.

I would have had all the Starfleet ships concentrate fire on her flagship but left the other Romulan ships alone unless they tried to defend her.

A fitting response to the attack on Mars and a fitting smack up the ear for the Tal'Shiar (cheeky feckers), while it may frighten the synths it would also show them that Starfleet is not afraid to pull the trigger when it matters the most.

As long as the Commodore is alive to spread her Zhat Vash mind meld madness no one is really safe.

However it may be that she was spared simply for future plot reasons, perhaps she will try to make amends or be of use down the line.
Well it's a good thing that you weren't in charge then. You would have caused a pointless massacre and destroyed any hope for amicable relationship between the Federation and the Romulans.

Adding to that, the Romulans think they have the upper-hand against the Synths. They don't think they have the upper-hand against the Federation. They have to fight them in sneakier ways. So the Romulans don't want to start a war and the Federation won't start one, so that leaves the stalemate intact. They'll come up with some bullshit treaty so they don't have to break out of their respective roles. Both sides want to keep the stalemate going.

I think the next problem the Romulans will have will be internal. There are going to be several Romulans who won't appreciate that one of their own stopped the Federation ships that could've saved Romulus. Unless they kept that a lie and unspoken too.

If Romulus was evacuated years in advance of 2387, and had time to prepare, I think they want to act as if they're still intact (even if fractured) and want to keep things with the Federation (and everyone else) the same. The Romulans strike me as a people who thrive off the Status Quo and The Way Things Are. They don't like change. And going to war with the Federation is a pretty big change. But so is being allies with them and taking aid from them. So that's why they're in the situation they're in now.
I am willing to accept that the standard Romulan Military and Government were not responsible for the attack on Mars but they need to get their house in order.

There needs to be some real consequences to the Zhat Vash and Tal'Shiars actions against Mars and the Synths in general, if not military response then a diplomatic one, otherwise it is just appeasement which makes the likelihood of it happening again all the greater.

A line has to be drawn somewhere.

For any of this to happen the truth should be made public about Mars and the real reasons behind the attack (keeping the Synth planet secret of course), ideally it would be covered in S2 alongside Jurati taking responsibility for Maddox death although personally I do accept there were mitigating circumstances.

It has to be said however that the Federation/Starfleet could use this knowledge as serious leverage on the Romulan Government and the Tal'Shiar especially if the Tal'Shiar were not fully aware of the Commodores goals and motivations, which is a possibility as Zhaban thought it was nothing but a myth.

The Romulans and especially the Tal'Shiar and Military hate it when they are made fools of, it wouldn't surprise me if they see to purging the Zhat Vash themselves.

Either way I do hope it is properly resolved in S2.

Well it's a good thing that you weren't in charge then. You would have caused a pointless massacre and destroyed any hope for amicable relationship between the Federation and the Romulans.
Nah the Tal'Shiar operate separately from the Romulan Military and Government and even if they don't the truth coming out would force the Romulan Government and Military to disavow everyone involved to distance themselves from it.

That attack on Mars was a declaration of war, there has to be consequences for it.

Not even the Federation can ignore an event with so many citizens killed, not too mention the loss of a major shipyard.

Just imagine if Riker seemed to let them off the hook only to pounce on them when there were no witnesses.

His last words to the Commodore could be "His name was Thad". :devil:

I had the distinct impression that the 218 warbirds were the entirety of the Romulan Free State's forces. If it came down to a war, the Federation would "clean their chronometers." For the Romulans' sake, the Federation prefers not to go to war.

Riker showed up with only a fraction of Starfleet's ships and I'm sure the Klingons wouldn't mind helping if war broke out.

Last edited:
A line has to be drawn somewhere.
Here and no further?
I had the distinct impression that the 218 warbirds were the entirety of the Romulan Free State's forces. If it came down to a war, the Federation would "clean their chronometers." For the Romulans' sake, the Federation prefers not to go to war.

Riker showed up with only a fraction of Starfleet's ships and I'm sure the Klingons wouldn't mind helping if war broke out.
I'm pretty sure the RFS is clueless about the Zhat Vash fleet.

I lost track of what day it was and just got around to seeing it... I found it very entertaining. I'm not sure how I feel about Picard's "transformation," though. And I thought both the Starfleet and Romulan fleets had fanboyishly high numbers of ships. I wish that Narissa had escaped to become a recurring villain later on. I'm curious how things will develop in Season 2.

Kor

I couldn't buy how quickly Soji went to the Synth side. She was having trouble adapting to not being human, but suddenly she's ready to have the SuperSynths come and wipe out all humans?

She should have been the one to mind-meld with Juratj in the prior episode. I'm not even sure, in retrospect, why Sutra was in the show, since her only role was to uncover the true nature of the Admonition, say that she was going to kill all humans, and then die like a punk. Basically she was there to push Soji to become evil for half of one episode, in a way that made Soji look like an idiot.

That's probably the most annoying plot point for mine. All the knowledge she has (given her position / status in Starfleet) and they just let her go. Really?
The alternative appeared to be pitched battle between approximately 400 starships. Even at only 100 crew members per vessel, that is 40,000 lives. For what? Oh has probably been delivering her gathered intel for years or decades. It isn't like spies save it all for the end.

Back