Star Trek passings

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by keel, Oct 16, 2017.

1. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And I believe he was Shatner's stand in for a couple of episodes! The Enemy Within for one at least...
    JB

2. Hey Missy

Hey Missy Captain Captain

I had no idea that Barry Jenner, William "Bill" Ross, died in 2016.

RedAlert likes this.
  3. keel

keel Commander Red Shirt

We're all getting older and so many actors death's are never reported in mainstream media.

RedAlert likes this.
  4. Green

Green Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, I'd bet a good 10 -12 TOS actors have passed and it never got reported. There are about 8 TOS actors who only performed in TOS and never had another TV or film credit. When you look them up they don't even have a birth year listed. There are another 4 - 5 TOS actors who have got to be either 100+ years old or passed away unreported. The thing I find crazy is that even if your career went nowhere and you left Hollywood/acting -- I'd think that TOS actors would tell their friends/kids/grandkids -- "I played on the original Star Trek!" --
    and then the family would mention that online or whatnot when that actor passed away.

So someday many years from now when the actors who were children in the series finally pass away, someone will claim -- "He/she was the last living TOS actor!" Someone may reply -- "Except for Bart Conrad who may be alive at age 130."

ZapBrannigan and RedAlert like this.
  5. keel

keel Commander Red Shirt

Was wondering if you know anything about the following two actors from TOS - Woody Talbert and Christin Ducheau.

6. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Richard Hatch played a Klingon warlord-"Kharn"-in Prelude To Axanar.

7. keel

keel Commander Red Shirt

And he was very good at the role too. 'Prelude to Axanar' looked and sounded better than any Trek film Paramount has done in the last fifteen years.

8. keel

keel Commander Red Shirt

Ted LeGarde, who played one of the many 'Hermans' in TOS has recently died, age of 87, bring total passings to 270 that I'm aware of.

9. keel

keel Commander Red Shirt

Also learned that Lee Delano of 'A Piece of the Action' from TOS, passed in Oct. of 2017, age of 86. He played Kalo, bring passings within TOS to 271.

10. Green

Wow, that's weird. I checked on him recently when I was updating my "nifty nineties" list and they showed him alive at both Memory Alpha and IMDB. Sad to hear and sad that he wasn't announced for so long. Their agent/agency/manager are supposed to do that even if they've been long retired.

R.I.P.

11. keel

keel Commander Red Shirt

memory alpha reports that John Eskobar passed away, age 63, due to cancer. Played a security officer in TNG's 'Heart of Glory'. 119 passings as far as I know.

12. keel

keel Commander Red Shirt

Both imdb and Memory Alpha report that Biff Manard passed away in 2014. He played a holographic ruffian in TNG's episode 'Elementary, Dear Data', bringing TNG passings to 120.

13. keel

keel Commander Red Shirt

Imdb now reports that John Garrett passed away in 2016 of natural causes, having played a Solari Lieutenant in TNG's episode 'Loud as a Whisper', bringing TNG passings to 123.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  14. keel

keel Commander Red Shirt

Imdb and SAG reports that Richard Merrifield passed away in January of 2018, age unknown. He played the character known as 'Webb' in the TOS episode 'Tomorrow is Yesterday', bringing total TOS passings to 272.

15. keel

keel Commander Red Shirt

Lastly, SAG also reported that Matt Tufo passed away in February of 2018, age unknown. He played a barber in TNG's episode 'Data's Day', bringing TNG passings to 124.

16. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

https://www.trekbbs.com/rules/#post-11662568
    Two pairs of those five consecutive posts were within minutes of one another. In the future please consolidate either proactively or by editing the last post.

17. Green

Keel, did you jump from 120 to 123 by mistake on TNG deaths?

18. keel

keel Commander Red Shirt

DIdn't jump. I miscounted my list originally and just updated it here.

Green likes this.
  19. keel

keel Commander Red Shirt

Green, what do you know about the SAG? Do they monitor actors' careers or do they rely on the actor's managers for news of their client base? Several of the above actors died one to two years ago and SAG is only NOW getting around to notifying its members of their passing?

20. Green

I'm afraid I don't know anything about how it works as far as announcing deaths. It would be nice if they were a reliable source for announcing the passings of little known actors. I feel like there are quite a few people from that era who will just simply be forgotten with only the IMDB listing of what they appeared in and nothing else to mark their career.