Spoilers Star Trek: Lower Decks 1x02 - "Envoys"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' started by Commander Richard, Aug 12, 2020.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - It was everything I wished for.

16 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. 9

32 vote(s)
    21.6%
  3. 8

45 vote(s)
    30.4%
  4. 7

30 vote(s)
    20.3%
  5. 6

11 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. 5

8 vote(s)
    5.4%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  9. 2

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  10. 1 - I dream of better Trek.

4 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. Kzinti

Kzinti Captain Captain

:eek: how the hell did i miss this wish i could revise my score cause that's a solid 10/10 :adore:

2. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I went 7, but just seeing a Vendorian almost bumped it up to 8.

Awesome! Also the horse people remind me of aliens seen in the Marvel Early Voyages comic book series.

3. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

The aliens from Insurrection were a nice touch.

cooleddie74 likes this.
  4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I would say one thread for all, but that would be up to the Mods.

Michael likes this.
  5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

One thread to rule them all, One thread to find them, One thread to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
    Oops, wrong franchise.

TrickyDickie likes this.
  6. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

That thing is vaguely similar in shape, but the window is completely different, and it seems to have bulky wings

7. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the show makes it clear that both Mariner and Brad are in serious need of changes. Mariner has an abundance of confidence versus Brad's complete lack of it but the former is just as flawed in the fact its not nearly as earned as she believes.

For all her RL experience, she's:

* Stabbed Brad
    * Screwed up the mission
    * Lost the general
    * Unwittingly made Brad MORE racist by reinforcing his Ferengi specism.

:)

Her mistake is being human. If she was Klingon, her stabbing a fellow crew member would just warrant a mild rebuke.

It would explain why she's mildly psychotic. Imagine all the children on the Enterprise and Voyager that have grown up to think yeti's stealing your shoes is normal.

I don't think Mary Sue's accidentally stab people in the leg or are on the verge of being cashiered for being a screw up.

No, this is a simple "Red Oni, Blue Oni" situation. There's a lot of franchises where the two main characters have an incredibly roguish scoundrel and rule breaker up against the logical paragon.

Han Solo/Luke Skywalker
    Spock/Kirk (Reboot)
    Avon/Blake

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    BillJ, fireproof78 and Turtletrekker like this.
  8. ExtremeSail

ExtremeSail Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Does Mariner exclaim "Kirk hands!" in episode 1?

9. frankieteardrop

frankieteardrop Commander Red Shirt

10. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember her saying something about Kirk in one of the trailers. But that scene was not in the first 2 episodes unless I somehow missed it.

ExtremeSail and BillJ like this.
  11. Airmandan

Airmandan Captain Captain

I just think of Mariner as a Ro Laren type character. She's obviously highly competent at her job, just isn't one for the chain of command. And for as to her comment about running "grey ops" with the general before Starfleet, she was probably making something up to cover her background. Its obvious that no one is aware of her family history and she probably takes great pains to hid that. And if we want to get into a real deep dive, grey ops could be a reference to the grey uniform that Wesley Crusher wore when he was a "provisional ensign", that could be a standard uniform for those that serve in that roll.

12. Charles Phipps

Unless they decide to go differently, I think that Mariner's career fall isn't quite as dramatic as a massive fall from grace, but more like the fact she was a Lieutenant (Junior Grade) that got bumped down to Ensign for something moral that she did like giving farm equipment to the Pig People.

Mind you, their ages are throwing me as Mariner acts like she's 26 and Brad acts like he's 16 at most despite supposedly being the same age.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think “same age” is one of those things that aren’t exact. She’s likely a year or two older than Boimler.

Ometiklan likes this.
  14. SeamusShameless

SeamusShameless Captain Captain

Not that it matters as far as character ages go, but Tawny Newsome is 9 years older than Jack Quaid.

15. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I see nothing perfect about Mariner. She’s a flawed character. Sure, she can be a little obnoxious but honestly, I know few who have never gone through SOME sort of a phase like that.

BillJ likes this.
  16. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

The Mighty Monkey of Mim Commodore Commodore

LIVE ON STAGE AT THE ALHAMBRA, ONE NIGHT ONLY!
    @Trekker4747 keeps repeating that "Mariner got K'orin drunk" as if she held him by his luxurious mane and forced that bloodwine down his (presumably) bifurcated gullet...I didn't see that happening. Klingons drink...it's a rather prominent aspect of their culture. Besides being amply evident from virtually every past appearance, there was a direct exchange to this point—and at mek'leth point, no less—later in this very episode. Mariner is lucky he's a "lightweight" or else she'd never have been able to keep up!

-MMoM:D

BillJ and JoeP like this.
  17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

This is Star Trek, everything is literal. If they are the same age, it means they share the same birthday down to the second. ;)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    ToddCam, Search4, BillJ and 4 others like this.
  18. Charles Phipps

Mind you, if Mariner hadn't shown up, then they would have just flown to the embassy.

Trekker4747 likes this.
  19. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

When I was in my late teens, I knew people who were within months of me age wise, but seemed significantly older because of their life experiences.

Markonian, TrickyDickie and Nerys Myk like this.
  20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Potentially twins separated by birth.

Nerys Myk likes this.