'Star Trek: Discovery' will be the worst series.

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by AdmiralBruno, Jul 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I don't say this lightly.

I think "Star Trek: Discovery" will be the best Star Trek series.

Shalashaska likes this.
  2. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

It's well known that the best possible way to affect the culture of a board is to show up and behave like a whiny self-pitying jerkass with a ludicrous persecution complex. It goes over big, really. :techman: This has never, ever backfired in the history of the cosmos.

I mean, the thing about Trek is that its "progressivism" was always flawed and incomplete, especially as regards gender and sexuality issues. Bruno's talk about the "proper" mix of genders would have sounded at home coming from an actual character on the original show in the Sixties. What those who want to keep the show preserved in amber in the state of the Sixties always forget is that Trek is also about trying to move forward in meaningful ways. Yes, sometimes that process is glacial -- it's absurd that it took us this long to get an openly gay character in a Trek movie, for instance -- but we don't have to resign ourselves to that and to that end I'm hopeful that Fuller really means what he says about diversity in casting (although his pronouncements in that regard are actually vague enough to provide plenty of wriggle-room in any direction he chooses to go).

Kemaiku and Jinn like this.
  3. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    There's a thought for QS&F, I am sure the admins would be delighted.

4. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Homophobe !

Oh, sorry, my mistake...
    :)

5. Lord Garth

Yup, there we have it, I'm half-afraid of myself. ;)

6. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

OHMYGOD Someone with a positive attitude towards something new.... Kill it with fire!

Anna Yolei and { Emilia } like this.
  7. BigJake

So "greatest generation" nostalgia is your best play? Really?

Yes, America may have been vastly more racist and sexist in the Forties than it is today, but it was probably magically rape-free. That's the ticket.

Anna Yolei likes this.
  8. Long Syntax

Long Syntax Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed - I just don't think you could stop yourself if you tried.

9. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Hey, they gave the Japanese-Americans free housing during the war. That says something.

Anna Yolei, Kemaiku, Zonker and 3 others like this.
  10. BigJake

But you should try bringing a few more supplies to the effort than just rubber and glue next time. That particular tactic has never impressed a human being over the age of five. #truefax

11. Lord Garth

Serialized storyline. Gender-blind. Race-blind. LGBT character (hopefully). Representation from the Roddenberry, Bennett, Berman, and Abrams era. Trying to do things that haven't been done before while looking at the DNA of selective TOS episodes to see what made the spirit of Star Trek work.

Yes, this will be the best series. I really do think this. And it'll fit in with the landscape of today's series. This crosses off everything on my list.

ItIsGreen and BigJake like this.
  12. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

OK guys. Enough. I don't want any more *arguing* about sex, race, sexuality or what the heck ever going forward in here. That kind of discussion is not really suited to this forum. Take that to TNZ if you like, where you can squabble to your heart's content.

Henceforth, any of this type of fighting will be warned by me personally. I know that people are excited (or dismayed) by the forthcoming series, but if anyone thinks this is a fine chance to troll, settle old scores or the like, think again.

13. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

While I'm not a huge fan of serialized stories or the new movies I am rather posetive about the new series, especially after they announced Kirsten Beyer as a writer.

somebuddyX likes this.
  14. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

In fact, fuck this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.