News Star Trek: Discovery Season Two On Blu-Ray And DVD

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by AutoAdmin, Aug 3, 2019.

1. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Geeesss....
    $51.00 is more than a bit steep in this day and age.

I'll wait a few months for Walmart to discount by 30%.

2. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

But do you even need to buy it, as opposed to streaming the show on All Access? Realistically, how many times do you see yourself rewatching DSC?

3. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

Well, I've watched Season One 5 times now since I got the Blu-ray set.
    (and that's not counting the 3 times I've watched it online)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  4. Boris Skrbic

But how can you find the time with so much better television out there, past or present?

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not willing to spend the money on yet another format when I own two already.

6. Boris Skrbic

It’s not about ditching one’s entire collection, but simply buying one (U)HD Blu-ray player and one (U)HD TV, so you can buy new discs in vastly improved quality, replacing older ones when you feel like rewatching a show or a movie. Or you can skip ahead to digital or streaming if that’s just as convenient or more.

7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have steaming and no Blu Ray will play VHS.

nightwind1 likes this.
  8. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

I got rid of cable and haven't watched broadcast TV in many years now. (almost 10 years)
    I have also worked 3pm to 11pm for my entire adult life and there's not a lot of things to do from midnight to 3am when I usually fall asleep.
    I pretty much stream everything I want to see and anyway a lot of what's available out there now, I really don't have interest in. (I loath Reality TV)
    It's mostly Sci-Fi that I watch and I'm kinda picky about that as well.

I'm quite content with my Blu-ray/DVD collection, Neflix and the assorted inroads of the internet.
    :cool:

nightwind1 and fireproof78 like this.
  9. Boris Skrbic

I mean television as in content made in that format, not broadcast technology. Eg. instead of watching DSC one! more! time! you could watch all of The Outer Limits on Blu-ray for the first time, or a ton of other great shows from the history of the medium.

10. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I know, right? The shorts were supposed to tide us over from S1 to S2, so they should all be included with S2.

$51 is BBC level gouging...I mean pricing :D I'll wait for the price to drop, plus I haven't bought S1 yet anyway.

11. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I'm waiting for the complete series (as I did with TNG and ENT).

12. Boris Skrbic

So you’d keep spending money on an obsolescent format because there is no UHD/VHS combo player? (Again, the question is why purchase DSC on DVD; under ideal conditions, streaming is a reasonable alternative to Blu-ray.)

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Because they want to.

Spot261 and nightwind1 like this.
  14. Boris Skrbic

“Just because” is not an answer from Star Trek fans, who by definition are comfortable with technology that hasn’t been invented yet and always looking for the next great experience, boldly upgrading their habits. If you’re still buying DVDs then you’ve pretty much put a cap on your lifestyle, saying that yours was the SD era and it’s good enough while it lasts.

Remember, streaming is fine. iTunes is fine. Not watching DSC is great if you don’t care for lore. But spending money on DVDs where HD Blu-ray is an option?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Sure it is.

Spot261, nightwind1 and Tuskin38 like this.
  16. Reyman

Reyman Commander Red Shirt

I'm not buying these unless they get a 4K UHD release.

DVDs make handy coasters though.

17. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who died and made you gatekeeper?
    If he doesn’t want Blu-Ray, he doesn’t want it. Who are you to tell him otherwise?

kkt, RedAlert, Spot261 and 4 others like this.
  18. Boris Skrbic

Why? “Because I say so” isn’t an answer from a Star Trek fan.

Also a good argument, especially for those getting Dolby Vision on Netflix.

Nobody is telling anyone anything or expecting anyone to reply. It’s a discussion. I make a claim and explain it, someone else makes a counterclaim and explains it. Why would DVD collection be off-limits to discussion? It’s a matter of wasting money on a once-subjectively-amazing format you can’t even buy TVs for these days — most are 4K or HD, yet there is still a market for 480/576p? Let’s find out what’s behind it.

19. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Choosing to buy DVDs is not a morally charged decision. It’s a matter of individual preference—probably driven more by economics than anything else.

In my circle of friends and family, I’m the “go to guy” for all matters A/V. I’m fully up on the latest UHD displays and UHD disc players (of which there will never be a variety of models remotely as numerous as Blu-ray players, let alone the far more ubiquitous DVD players at the height of their popularity). I’m familiar with all three HDR systems available to consumers and how each differs from the other. I can install pretty much all immersive audio setups that do not require rebuilding walls and/or rooms (I’m not a carpenter)—Dolby Atmos, DTS: X, Auro 3D. I know how to fine tune Audyssey, Anthem’s ARC, Dirac Live and proprietary room compensation software from Onkyo, Pioneer and Yamaha.

And yet, despite the above, I still have good old SDTVs in daily use in two rooms and still buy DVDs more than once every ten years. I have a 1080p projector but not a UHD display in my home cinema setup. I’m still at 5.1 for speakers and it’s driven by a 9 year old Yamaha AVR. Basically, I’m like the mechanic who works on brand new cars (I setup other people’s home cinema or other A/V kit 2-3 times a year as a favour to them) but drives a 10 year old car.

I don’t normally bother to list all of that to talk about something like DVD vs Blu-ray but you’ve made several posts suggesting that people who aren’t “keeping up with the Jones” are somehow wrong for doing so. And that’s, well...wrong.

I have the money to upgrade my A/V gear every few years, but I don’t do so. I prefer to buy gear that lasts. Better for my wallet and the environment. I just bought the entire series of The Americans (haven’t seen the show but always wanted to). I bought it on DVD. In 2019. Why? Economics. The complete series is not available on Blu-ray and likely never will be. It is available on iTunes in HD. And I have the gear to stream it. But the iTunes package is more than twice as expensive. Not worth the extra money—to me. And that’s the rub.

I appreciate the improvements of the latest formats and gear. But I also buy the upgrades when they reach a price point I consider fair (and when the previous gear is either completely obsolete or no longer works). That line differs for everyone. Moreover, some (many) people don’t care about the latest and greatest formats. They are satisfied with the content of their entertainment. And. That’s. Perfectly. Fine. (Even for Star Trek fans)

RedAlert, BeatleJWOL, Spot261 and 3 others like this.
  20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It is when it comes to someone's personal preferences. They can buy what they want and don't have to justify it to you or anyone else.