Star Trek Discovery...best first season of the franchise?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by RAMA, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never said that TOS had a grand plan, I said it had more of a plan than Discovery. TOS knew what it wanted to be. Discovery has no idea. As evidenced by another tonal shift for season 3.

2. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

And then you said it didn't.

Lord Garth likes this.
  3. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

It's not so much a matter of a plan as that TOS was authentic to itself - the creators set out to make a certain kind of show and had a pretty free hand to define it as they were so inspired, within the limits of the medium of its time. Roddenberry liked to say that they were fortunate that there were no experts about Star Trek to tell them what to do. And so they created a new thing, one that people still watch going on, what, sixty years later?

STD is put together by hired hands whose assignment is to fulfill the financial expectations and subscription targets of the giant corporation that owns and exploits the property and its trademarks. It's clearly cobbled together haphazardly from month to month by folks who have no vision of their own and are tap dancing as fast as they can.

And it works, for a couple of million viewers. But it's no big deal.

Kpnuts and BillJ like this.
  4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This is the show in a nutshell for me. Maybe it will change in season three?

5. Serveaux

Who cares, really? It's not worth hanging with bad TV for years out of hope just because its branded Star Trek - especially when you're asked to pay for the privilege.

6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly. If it isn't enjoyable it isn't enjoyable and may be time to move on.
    No, I wouldn't. TV is going to come in phases and ups and downs and is hardly a linear progression.

If DSC was run by GR then I could argue that I would hope for progress. But, since this is a whole new team, and there has been so much BTS changes I would not expect progress necessarily.

Spot261, burningoil and Lord Garth like this.
  7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I’ll sample it when it comes around. :shrug:

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

The first season of TOS is one of the seminal works of television.

Is this thread a joke?

***If I was going to rank them, it would be something like this:

TOS
    ENT
    TNG
    VOY
    DS9
    DISCO
    PIC

9. marlboro

marlboro Guest

[​IMG]

burningoil and Lord Garth like this.
  10. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So you're saying television production hasn't come a long way since 50 years ago? Got it.

11. Serveaux

It's on against Youtube. Pass.

12. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I hope everyone who didn't like the first two seasons hates the third season just as much. The less you like it, the better I know it is. The more you complain about it, the more I know they're doing things right. You're exactly the type of people DSC should be rid of.

Noah_23, Cyrus, Turtletrekker and 2 others like this.
  13. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I said I wouldn't hope it would progress. If it does, great. If not, oh well.

But, I'm a weird old soul at 36 who prefers VHS to DVD, still plays Nintendo and doesn't see the appeal of HD.

14. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

Even though I think they completely botched the landing in the most obviously DIS of ways most of season 2 showed how you can have an arc and still visit strange new worlds and some of the early red angel visits led to some good old school Trek episodes

Turtletrekker likes this.
  15. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For the zero my opinion is worth, Discovery isn't my favourite Trek series but I'd have to agree that, for me at least, it's leaps and bounds the strongest first season of any of the Trek shows. My favourite series, TNG, I'd sadly have to admit is probably the worst of them all. :lol:

With that said, I'm glad there's something for everyone. TOS is still around for people that don't like the new, and Discovery and Picard is going strong for people who might not enjoy the old.

Except for TAS, there isn't a Trek series I haven't adored the whole way through. Yet.

16. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

All of them make changes a few seasons in but at least have an idea of who and what they want the crew to be. TNG on the other hand has a huge figure it out as we go feel and the changes in some of the crew is very jarring looking back

M'rk son of Mogh likes this.
  17. Spot261

Define "come on"?

It's certainly changed and the technology has improved.

Lord Garth likes this.
  18. marlboro

marlboro Guest

Please don't.

19. Spot261

I should have made clear it was very much a context specific request.

With a concise answer required.

20. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

All I'm going to say is if DSC and PIC were exactly like TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT, I wouldn't have watched. Not for long anyway. I would've stopped watching, just like I stopped watching The Orville.

All those years when I said I wanted someone else besides Rick Berman producing, I actually meant it. From the story structure, to the directing, to the set design and costuming, none of it is the same anymore. And I'm glad for that.

Incidentally, I binged both TNG and ENT this year. I've seen them with my own eyes recently. I'm not relying off faded memory. It's fresh in my mind. DSC and PIC aren't the same. They very clearly have changed. Just not in the way some people like. To which I say, "Too bad. That's your problem."

If it didn't change, we wouldn't have posters here who complain about Kurtzman Trek and want things to go back to way they were during the Berman Era. You wouldn't have thribs or Byr_Sinclair, for instance, wanting to go back to that. Or Donker or Kpnuts or Trekfan 94. The list goes on. They see a difference too, even if they're on the opposite side of the argument than I am. So you can't say there's no difference. That's either deliberately wearing blinders or keeping the shtick going just for its own sake.

EDIT: I don't watch Marvel Movies, but I've noticed some people compare DSC and PIC to them. I can't speak as to whether or not that's accurate, but I do know some people here really don't like Marvel Movies, so maybe that's what's amplifying their hatred "active dislike" of DSC.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020