Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 4x06 - "Stormy Weather"

Rate the episode...

• Total voters
I liked when Saru went hard no, shut up and get back to your station.. I was begging the tv for tilly to do the same thing to those cadets.. She was to freindly..

I have a different interpretation of Zora, based on what she says in the episode. She describes herself as a sentient organism in a supercomputer. When I hear someone describing Zora as the computer, it feels to me as if someone is calling me a townhome because I happen to reside in that structure. To me, there is Zora and there is the computer, and they are not the same.

The Discovery appears to have a single layer of hull material, which is strange for starships contemporary with and later starships had both an inner and outer hulls. We see this in Lower Decks with the Cerritos when they stripped off the outer hull in a recent episode.

I didn't find this to be terrible writing. It's more of a structural problem with Star Trek where the transporter is ridiculously overpowered. In theory, the computer should be able to constantly monitor the actions of all the crew and automatically beam them away from any danger (about to be hit by phaser fire, falling down the turbo shaft chasm, about to be hit by an exploding console, etc.) Any other issues with the execution of the scene (forcefield placement, etc.) could be chalked up to Zora not being able to function properly (or maybe he was moving too fast for the transporters to lock on). And I don't think the death was "cheap" in the sense that I'm assuming they need this to continue the story of Zora's evolution (now Zora can feel guilt over letting him die, which will result in Burnham saving the day by teaching Zora how to cry).
Star Trek has literally shown Tal Shiar assassins in ST:PICARD beaming away when their assassins are about to fall to their doom and have a traumatic injury by landing on their head from falling over a set of stairs and compressing their spinal column.

That said, I did have some minor issues with the execution of this scene. First we get Zora releasing there's a problem with the hull and she tells Grey but doesn't want to tell Burnham / the bridge? Didn't make sense.
Yup, I concur.

Then, we cut to a scene where crew members are aware of the situation and are working on it, but they also didn't tell the bridge? Again, makes no sense.
I fully concur, Cortez should've called it in and alerted somebody that something was wrong.

Combadges are "Hands Free", so he should be able to talk and fix at the same time.

Welcome to Star Trek (and fiction in general)
I like it when shows like "24" show competent staff working at their jobs.

If somebody dies, it's earned. They don't die because of incompetent work place safety standards.

Star Trek has literally shown Tal Shiar assassins in ST:PICARD beaming away when their assassins are about to fall to their doom and have a traumatic injury by landing on their head from falling over a set of stairs and compressing their spinal column.

Yup, I concur.

I fully concur, Cortez should've called it in and alerted somebody that something was wrong.

Combadges are "Hands Free", so he should be able to talk and fix at the same time.

I like it when shows like "24" show competent staff working at their jobs.

If somebody dies, it's earned. They don't die because of incompetent work place safety standards.
Cortez died because he stayed at his post. Tragically Heroic trope.

I have a different interpretation of Zora, based on what she says in the episode. She describes herself as a sentient organism in a supercomputer. When I hear someone describing Zora as the computer, it feels to me as if someone is calling me a townhome because I happen to reside in that structure. To me, there is Zora and there is the computer, and they are not the same.

The Discovery appears to have a single layer of hull material, which is strange for starships contemporary with and later starships had both an inner and outer hulls. We see this in Lower Decks with the Cerritos when they stripped off the outer hull in a recent episode.
If there is Zora and the computer just get Zora out of there. It's a liability

As for the hull I assume programmable matter ships are designed different. One issue I have is why is there still emergency forcefields when you could just have regrowable hulls

Yup, I'm surprised they didn't give Discovery another armored layer or a Ablative layer on top of the inner hull after the refit.

As for the hull I assume programmable matter ships are designed different. One issue I have is why is there still emergency forcefields when you could just have regrowable hulls
I'm assuming that you get to choose between Programmable matter on the hull, or regrowable hull, or solid metal hulls that you can fix with replicators.

Each one probably has it's PRO(s) & CON(s)

That's fair. I assumed this was the obligatory "get to know Owo" scene with no greater objective. But if this is the beginning of an arc where she realizes she isn't cut out for command and decides to join Starfleet Academy as a swimming instructor (because she can hold her breath for a long time), I will take back what I said.
And if it doesn't work for you it doesn't work. No harm, no foul.
Plot armor is a hell of a thing.
Indeed. It's a part of Trek and very rarely are deaths earned. Death is just a part of Trek.

I get that it was shown in Star Trek Picard, my point is that a computer able to react in a split second should be able to use the transporters to get any crew member out of any dangerous situation in any Trek series. It's a structural problem with the Star Trek franchise.

Just like seatbelts should be installed and the crew should always be wearing them (or at a minimum, during red alert).

They should also design consoles that don't explode which is a huge downgrade in tech considering these consoles are the future equivalent of today's keyboard and mouse, which never explode in your face.

They should.

They don't.

I'm not going to hold this against Discovery for doing what Trek has always done.

Mileage will vary.

Reactions: Sci
I wasn't a fan of this episode. I'm not really liking this season overall. I thought we would get more answers about the DMA, and maybe even learn who was behind it, but instead we got another pep talk episode. It seems like if last season was filled with crying every episode-or just about-this season everyone is getting a pep talk.

The episode started off intriguing enough. I loved the cutaways to the crew and was hoping we would get more with them, but instead the episode focused more on Gray and Zora. I don't think either getting development is a bad thing, but I would like to see the bridge crew get the develop first, with many of them, if not all, being with DISCO from day one, or first season rather. The quick little info dumps like Owo gave, similar to Rhys last week, aren't cutting it. It's nice to get that information, but especially in the case of Owo it came at an awkward time.

While watching this episode I was wondering if the writers even had a culprit in mind for the DMA at this point in their creative/writing process. I imagine they are trying to use the DMA as a kind of overarching threat that allows them to delve into their characters and how they are reacting to it, but the issue to me seems that they are repeating themselves or sticking with the same characters going over the same traumas or feelings-without spreading around that misery more. This week, and last, I was thinking we might have gotten two better episodes if Rhys and Owo had been the leads, so they could show them responding to their past traumas by helping instead of giving quick monologues about them.

The series still impresses with its production values and I am liking Burnham's direct command style. This episode was ably directed by Mr. Frakes, and I expected nothing less. I really liked that scene where you really see how small Discovery is, like a speck in the vast darkness of space. I feel a bit bad because the series is giving me what I asked for (in some ways) but not in a way that I think is good, or good enough. There's nothing wrong with focusing on Burnham or Book, however, I think exploring Book's pain and grief, there should be progression (if not realistic, because it's a television series with finite time) and that his phantom father perhaps should've been used to provide another clue to the DMA instead of being another rung on the ladder for Book to pull himself out of the pit of despair.

Not much happened in terms of story progression. Yes, Book's brain provides some clues-which we the audience still are in the dark about-but did we need an hour to really accomplish that? (I did like the mention of the Galactic Barrier, which brought to mind the God Entity from Star Trek V, and then that the culprits were not from this galaxy, which made me think of the Kelvans). Further, the Burnham in peril plot didn't really work because I didn't buy them killing off the character. Again, this is where I think having Owo, Detmer, Nilsson, Bryce, or Rhys for some reason taking command would've upped the suspense. I did like that they put Pollard into the action, though I wasn't that impressed with the scene where she almost lost her life because I thought that one could've put her in more peril, with the hull blowing right before the force field kicked in. But it was a decent attempt to use a very underutilized character.

Back to Gray. I was thinking Gray might work as DISCO's Guinan. Right now there's nothing for Gray to do on board the vessel.

Last edited:
I get that it was shown in Star Trek Picard, my point is that a computer able to react in a split second should be able to use the transporters to get any crew member out of any dangerous situation in any Trek series. It's a structural problem with the Star Trek franchise.

Just like seatbelts should be installed and the crew should always be wearing them (or at a minimum, during red alert).

They should also design consoles that don't explode which is a huge downgrade in tech considering these consoles are the future equivalent of today's keyboard and mouse, which never explode in your face.
I completely agree with all those assessments.

Those should never occur.

Bonus points to the show for not mentioning Scotty when referring to Starfleet records of people being suspended inside a pattern buffer for a prolonged length of time. I like direct callbacks to the franchise but sometimes indirect nods and winks that you recognize right away are just as good.

Is Grey a android? In which case he should have been left behind to run the ship. This would give the character something to do, else it’ll end up with a Keko Obrien effect again. I was also puzzled why Burnham didn’t initiate a vacuum in the bridge, then there wouldn’t be any heat for her to fry in….. odd. I want a fan of this episode either. Just felt like another filler, where we have an amazing bad ass galactic phenomenon, just like in the past 2 series.

on the plus side, I liked the ships computer plot.

You just need to know how to bypass the tech and what the tech does or doesn't do.

It's not impossible to write a show that has stakes while using all the high tech gadgets in the world to it's full advantage.

Your standards are much higher than mine but I agree with your premise. If you want people to be really immersed in the story, the futuristic setting the story takes place in needs to be (somewhat) defined and (somewhat) consistent across the episodes. So for example, if you introduce the phaser, you don't need to explain exactly how it works but don't have it firing a beam of light in one episode and a lightning bolt the next.

The story itself will be about the people, not the technology, but the technology (which is a big part of the background / setting in which the story takes place) should be consistently portrayed and used in a believable manner. And technology shouldn't be introduced solely because it "looks cool" (which Discovery does far too often), it should be introduced because it has a purpose in the story or allows the show to tell stories it otherwise couldn't.

So anyway, going back to the transporter, it's a structural problem with Trek. The only reason they created it is because back then it was too expensive to do scenes of shuttles landing and what not. I personally think they should somehow get rid of it altogether (or nerf it so it can only be used in limited circumstances). It creates way too many problems and plot holes.

Back