Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 3x13 - "That Hope Is You, Part 2"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Jan 6, 2021.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

23.8%
  2. 9

17.4%
  3. 8

18.9%
  4. 7

11.7%
  5. 6

6.8%
  6. 5

4.9%
  7. 4

1.9%
  8. 3

3.4%
  9. 2

2.3%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

9.1%
  1. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Don't know him. Something's wrong with him?

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

And you call yourself a Star Trek fan?
    Herb Solow

3. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Well, I call myself a Disco fan... which is not exactly the same thing.

4. Nerys Myk

Gotta know your roots.

5. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Just because you're fond of dogs doesn't mean that you like wolves...

6. Nerys Myk

Don't have to like it.
    Wolves are cool.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  7. Camren

Camren Commodore Commodore

When I think of the worst Trek episodes, it boils down to how silly and illogical the premise is and how inexplicably daft some of the scenarios we find in an episode. And in this particular episode, there are SO many dumb things going on that it actually becomes perplexing to wonder how on earth anyone thought this was a good script. The sheer number of dumb things that happen in this episode is what makes it in my opinion, the worst ever episode of Discovery. Its saving grace might be that Voyagers' Threshold probably had an even more ridiculous premise and marginally more absurd moments throughout.

jackoverfull and Mechanoid1 like this.
  8. Nerys Myk

Not really what I want elaborated.

Vger23 likes this.
  9. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I totally agree with you...

... oh, wait a minute. You were talking about "That Hope Is You, Part 2". :wtf:

I thought we were talking about "Let He Who Is Without Sin". Which I still refuse to re-watch because it left such a bad impression on me when it first aired in 1996. :whistle:

"Let He Who Is Without Sin" is one of only a very small handful of episodes that I consider comparable to "Threshold". And I don't put "That Hope Is You, Part 2" on that list or anywhere near it.

Seriously. Even Ira Steven Behr admits that "Let He Who Is Without Sin" is total shit. When the person who made it won't even defend it, that's when you know it's bad. Which sounds just like "Threshold".

burningoil and fireproof78 like this.
  10. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I don't know how you can hate that episode with such a passion unless you've hated each and every episode of Discovery from the very beginning until now... In which case I wonder why you're still posting in these threads.

11. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

I wouldn't have that near the worst episodes of DS9 or Trek. It's not great but you get to learn about the characters at least and my only major complaint is it should have been the end of Dax relationship with that ridgid idiot of a Klingon

12. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't give that episode a zero (or even a one) because there's one legitimately great scene in the middle of it - where Worf opens up to Jadzia, explaining why he's such a dour stick-in-the-mud instead of being the usual jubilant Klingon.

The problem with all Risa episodes (maybe with the exception of Captain's Holiday) is Risa is supposed to be all about the fuckin, yet Berman Trek was a show made for PG-level broadcast TV standards.

Not that I'm in a hurry to see Risa again, but I think Kurtzman Trek could potentially do Risa right.

13. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Risa got mentioned at least once this season.
    However, it‘s a thousand years later. So the planet could have changed a lot.

14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed, yes. The plot of that episode is so staggeringly bad, with just artificial conflict throughout.

15. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    It is one of my least-favorite episodes of DS9 hands down. I almost never rewatch it and have no plans to anytime soon.

It is a definite low point of the series.

16. Nerys Myk

Drawing a blank on that episode. A good thing?

17. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Definitely.

18. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

As we say here: "Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ignore"

Blaise Pascal (I think).

Meaning: The heart has its reasons that reason doesn't know.

IOW, the heart wants what it wants.

19. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Since I recently re-watched TNG (2019) and ENT (2020), I figure I'll just re-watch the other Old Trek series, so my opinions are up-to-date and not based off faded memory and whatever I thought in high school or college.

So, eventually I'll go through all of DS9 again, which includes "Let He Who Is Without Sin". Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your point of view.

My memory of "Let He Who Is Without Sin" is mostly hazy. Other than I remember really not liking it. It's the episode that came the week after "Trials and Tribble-ations". So going from one to the other, it's like... let me put it this way. I don't know if you've ever swum before, but it's like with "Trials and Tribble-ations", you're going off the diving board, you do a perfect dive, come up again, and go for the next round (i.e. the next episode). Then you lose focus, you jump off the diving board, and you end up doing a huge massive belly flop! Then your entire stomach and chest area hurt like Hell. That's the impression "Let He Who Is Without Sin" left on me.

The one part that's not hazy is remembering how much of a complete total asshole Worf was. This was seriously the beginning of Worf as a holier-than-thou jerk. And he can't hide behind "I am a Klingon!" Martok is nothing like that. Neither are other Klingons. It's all on him. I loved the Klingons on DS9. I thought they were like really cool bikers. But Worf himself is a different story. By the seventh season, there were a couple of points where I kept thinking, "Please just go back to the Enterprise already!"

Don't get me wrong. It added to the conflict on DS9. But sometimes he just drove me up the wall. Luckily other characters felt driven up the wall by him too. So misery loves company.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  20. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Much better than most S1 episodes... I'll just say Allamaraine and Rumpelstilzchen :p

Muji likes this.