Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 3x13 - "That Hope Is You, Part 2"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Jan 6, 2021.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

23.8%
  2. 9

17.4%
  3. 8

18.9%
  4. 7

11.7%
  5. 6

6.8%
  6. 5

4.9%
  7. 4

1.9%
  8. 3

3.4%
  9. 2

2.3%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

9.1%
  1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised they switched uniforms. I mean it makes sense, but still

SJGardner and Markonian like this.
  2. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

It's up! Let's do this.

saddestmoon likes this.
  3. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

So 23rd century upgrades mean... TOS phasers XD

The Burn was caused by a sound wave coming from someone genetically linked to subspace because he had more chromosomes. :guffaw:

So glad Sahil is back!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    Deledrius likes this.
  4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

First thought watching that (And because it's really late) is that felt like a series finale. Discovery has finally come home, Burnham finally got her captaincy, and Suru returned home. If they decided to end the series here and move on to Strange New World, that would work.

lawman, DEWLine, Nerys Myk and 2 others like this.
  5. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    Well, I don’t know if it’s just me decompressing from... what happened today in the US, but that finale was incredibly satisfying for me in all the ways I wanted. This is my first, unequivocal TEN for the season. Loved it.

6. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly, I wish this season was built around the last 5 minutes of the show. That's what the premiere episode set up and the next few episodes promised by showing Earth, Vulcan/Ni'Var, and Trill, but a "second contact" show (or a serious version of Lower Decks I suppose) just would have been more interesting to me than the entire Emerald Chain arc.

I suppose I'm glad the final climax wasn't a huge overblown action fleet battle thing at least, as I had feared last week based on the preview they gave, but I just feel like they decided the premise of the show wasn't good enough on its own and they HAD to build in an enemy that they could have action scenes with.

(And I don't even count the two Mirror Universe episodes as part of this season... it's a pilot that they shoehorned into the story)

Anyway, I suppose on balance it's definitely the best of the three seasons for me and probably the best of the CBS All Access seasons, if you don't count Lower Decks as a "real" show.

7. Quinton

Quinton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It really did have that vibe toward the end there, didn’t it? From a narrative possibilities perspective, I would be quite sad if the show ended here. And I love the cast, too, so double bummer.

But whew. If it did have to end now, that would have been a very emotionally serviceable finale.

Deledrius likes this.
  8. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

all in all I liked it. Definitely wasn't expecting that twist at the end.

9. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

God that was tense and had me on edge.

I'd say that was the best of the three season finales.

Sarxus, JoeP, Nerys Myk and 5 others like this.
  10. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We know Doug Jones is filming, so I assume Saru will be back at some point? It seems that basically an action sequence of retaking the ship was all that was needed to wipe out Michael's and other's concerns about her place in Starfleet. That seems a bit unrealistic, even for a tv show. Sort of like how Riker's doubts in Best of Both Worlds 1 were sort of swept under the rug in all the action in Part 2.

I was assuming Book would die a horrible death from that Orion torture device. Surprisingly there weren't any fatalities in this episode. Book using the spore drive was a ridiculous long shot even in-universe though.

And it seems that Kovich (Cronenberg's character) is the Federation president honestly, even though they never outright said it.

11. Precious Tritium

Precious Tritium Commander Red Shirt

That was... a lot. I can't give this one a rating yet. Think I need to let it stew a while.

Everything between Doug Jones and Bill Irwin was superb. The whole explanation of the Burn doesn't bother me in the slightest. I even liked Captain Burnham (and have been secretly rooting for it since about episode 5.)

I think it's just all the Emerald Chain stuff that's giving me pause. I don't hate the resolution, but it was blah.

Overall I liked the episode, but I like the promise it sets up for future seasons more.

As an aside, the turbolift scene felt like it was there purely to piss certain people off. The longer it went on and the more ridiculous it got, the harder I laughed, only for it all to culminate in Book getting an action movie one-liner. Amazing.

lawman, Deledrius and burningoil like this.
  12. Fateor

Fateor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There was a lot of bad and nonsensical stuff in this episode...

I mean... Magic telepathic Holograms? Discovery's insides being something like ten times bigger on the inside then they should be? Them discovering that apparently any universal empath can run the spore drive but not immediately starting mass production of them?

lawman, Lorcan Kelly and NCC-73515 like this.
  13. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Damn, the crew look good in late 32nd century uniforms. Burnham rocks that Captain's uniform with the epaulets.

Sarxus, lawman, JRS and 3 others like this.
  14. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought this was an awesome conclusion to the season, and season 3 as a whole has truly been a fantastic season! I guess it was in the little things... The DOT saving Owo, and then later seeing Owo and Reno save the DOT... Trill and Ni'Var returning, Sahil returning... And I know I was a bit let down by the cause of the Burn in Su'Kal, but now that I think about it, I actually really love it... It was a sincere story about loss and unintentionally causing damage, and it just felt very Star Trek to me. Loved the ending, with the new uniforms..! And I for one loved the turbolift-scene!

Well, it ends 23 weeks of Trek... I will truly miss Thursdays... Really looking foreward to what new Trek will come in 2021 (my guess is not that much, but I think 2022 will be loaded with new stuff!)

15. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just a few quick notes:

Osyraa went out...like that?

There's no way the inside of Discovery is that cavernous. They've shown quick shots of it before but it was even worse since we spent so much time in there.

Olatunde Osunsanmi, stop rotating your f***ing camera!

16. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    It's best just to ignore the turboshaft exterior shots and treat them like "Deck 78" in Star Trek V. They're so ridiculously over-the-top you can't take them seriously.

lawman, Paul Weaver, XelosTi and 7 others like this.
  17. Visitor1982

Visitor1982 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I give this one an 8.

It was quite good. The whole Emerald Chain thing could have been dropped from the season and hopefully next season we will finally get the Discovery going to all these new and old Federation worlds, bringing them hope and dilithium.

But I think the Burn was handled quite OK. Stamets is still pissed at Michael, that is fine too.

Hopefully Doug Jones wil return in full capacity and not be seen in a couple of episodes and then vanish...

Markonian likes this.
  18. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

I had problems watching this episode on my Amazon Fire stick. CBSAA kept showing ads (which I am not supposed to see because of my subscription level), finally freezing on one of the ads. I had to finish watching it on my MacBook.:mad:

19. Kraig

Kraig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So the new catch phrase for Burnham's is "let's fly."

20. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My problem is that the TurboLifts and the insides of Discovery being Cavernous on the inside is again illogical and disconnected from the rest of Trek design.

I have no problem with them fighting on/in/outside the TurboLifts.
    There's plenty of room in TNG era TurboLifts to do that kind of fight sequence.

lawman, Phoenix219 and Scout101 like this.