Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 3x12 - "There Is A Tide…"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Dec 30, 2020.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

19.1%
  2. 9

21.4%
  3. 8

30.1%
  4. 7

16.8%
  5. 6

2.3%
  6. 5

4.0%
  7. 4

1.7%
  8. 3

0.6%
  9. 2

0.6%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

3.5%
  1. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Not really an accurate statement considering that initially, Control didn't get its hands on the Sphere Data.... it evolved entirely on its own.
    Remember that the Sphere was put in Disco's path because of Burnham's mother... and back then, the Sphere was literally in its dying moments before it downloaded itself into Discovery.

I just don't see how Control would be able to get its hands on the AI data in general if the Sphere was destroyed in early Season 2 somewhere in deep space.

Control only learned of the Sphere Data after it was on board Discovery (probably via official channels) and then targeted Disco to get the AI data so it can evolve faster (aka, Control was actively downloading specific information, but otherwise it didn't have real help from the Sphere Data itself - which is odd considering that the Sphere Data could have put up firewalls around itself much like it did when Disco crew tried deleting it to prevent bits and pieces of itself from being copied by malicious AI - which may work temporarily, but it would still provide time for the crew in general).

dupersuper likes this.
  2. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

Oh God ya both criticisms are out there. DIS has had attacks involving every kind of horrible ism and phobia. But I don't think right now on this site that is where it's coming from

3. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

We can't go to the Moon.

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nor do I, nor was that what I was claiming.

5. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Captain Captain

Of course we could build a pyramid if we needed to. Don't be silly.

6. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I hope you mean "We can't go to the Moon today!" and not "We faked the Moon Landing in 1969!"

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  7. TimeIsAPredator

Yes we can

NCC-73515 and ITDUDE like this.
  8. Bad Thoughts

As in American engineers and scientists do not know how to replicated the technology that brought humans to the Moon in 1969.

Lord Garth likes this.
  9. Lord Garth

I'm really not being silly. Who's built a pyramid since Ancient Egypt? Modern engineers and architects still can't wrap their minds around the logistics of how they did it back then.

Here's a link that you can look at.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

People were obsessed with pyramids when I was a kid. They thought the bloody things were a miracle cure for pretty much anything...hey, it was the 70's, what are you gonna do. :lol:

SolarisOne and Lord Garth like this.
  11. TimeIsAPredator

Yes they do

NCC-73515 and Angry Fanboy like this.
  12. TimeIsAPredator

You are talking about us being unable to built it using the tools of the day. But we could certainly build one easy enough

Angry Fanboy likes this.
  13. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh man, I haven't watched that movie in decades. I remember liking it a lot! I wonder if it still holds up?

DaveyNY likes this.
  14. Bad Thoughts

15. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Captain Captain

You're being silly. We've had no need to build such a pyranid. If there was some dire emergency tomorrow that could only be solved by us building a pyramid, using the technology we have at our disposal in 2020, the human race could build one.

I think you know this is the case but you feel like agreeing would be backing down.

16. ITDUDE

Sure we can. It's bunch of stones on top of other stones. Easy enough. What we don't know of for sure, is how they built them 5,000 years ago. But I guess as with everything, the answer is with lots of time and hard work.

17. ITDUDE

Sure we can, build a rocket and Gooooo. It's expensive, not a lot of financial gain (where is portable H3 refining technology when you really need it) so we don't do it anymore. But once China lands a man on the moon in next year or so, I'm sure patriotic pride will kick in (like it did in 60's)

18. TimeIsAPredator

19. Lord Garth

Let's not do this. There have been plenty of times in the past 21 years I've been here where I came around to agreeing with posters I disagreed with initially. I'm not in the mood for this today. I'm actually in a good mood. So I'm going to let you have this.

SolarisOne and NCC-73515 like this.
  20. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked it, actually did a decent job of making osyra a villian. Better than a number of movie villains ..

Was nice to see her line was actually giving up power and face justice.
    And the part with Staments chewing out mikey was brilliant.
    Sad to see Mary's husband get vaporized..
    Looking forward to next week!