Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 3x11 - "Su'Kal"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Dec 23, 2020.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

11.8%
  2. 9

17.4%
  3. 8

18.5%
  4. 7

22.6%
  5. 6

7.2%
  6. 5

7.7%
  7. 4

4.1%
  8. 3

3.6%
  9. 2

3.1%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

4.1%
  1. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I’ve done the Lorca manoeuvre many times in STO. Funny how that scene feels more like something from the 32nd century than most of the stuff we’ve seen this season.

Deledrius likes this.
  2. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Gray is a him. Adria is the binary neutral one

3. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So the word is there are 2 episodes left in the season, and none of them is "That Hope is You Part 2". What's going on? Is that left for next season?

Deledrius and jackoverfull like this.
  4. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The last two episodes have had different names than what was originally shared. It may well be the final episode has that title.

5. Krog

Krog Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Omg get a life

Vger23, NCC-73515, Kzinti and 3 others like this.
  6. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

While I found the holographic "mask" on the away team interesting, and it was cool to see Doug in his "normal" visual, it's too bad the dialogue makes it seem rather nonsensical (at least to me). If the holograms are already designed to look like a cross section of different Federation species, including humans and Kelpians, and the child is himself Kelpian (even if he's presumably ignorant of his culture and history), then there's no reason to make the AT look like races they don't happen to be. The child isn't going to be automatically afraid of two "new" humans and a "new" Kelpian.

* sharpens nit-picking comb * :D

7. Fateor

Fateor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The system probably wasn't able to tell their race with how damaged it was.

Of course, the real problem with that scene wasn't that, it's that holograms are additive not subtractive... You can't make someone shorter, remove things, or change their organs with them...

NCC-73515 likes this.
  8. Unicron

That's certainly a possibility, since the system was clearly damaged. But I wish it had been clarified, for my own part, so it would fit within the plot context.

9. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You are very right. Moreover, there was no in-universe need to hide that Saru was a Kelpian since the child was also Kelpian. If anything, seeing Saru as a Kelpian would have been comforting to the child and helped him, similar to the elder Kelpian. The holo masks were contrived so that the actor playing Saru could get an episode out of make-up.

Deks, Jadeb and MarsWeeps like this.
  10. Unicron

Yep. I just wish they'd used that concept (Doug looking human) much better. :) He's one of the aspects of Discovery I really like, even if Saru isn't always written well plot wise.

Bad Thoughts and Romulan_spy like this.
  11. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh yeah, Saru is a great character and the actor playing Saru is fantastic.

12. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm glad I'm not the only one who raised an eyebrow there. Once again, we have this misguided urgency which doesn't make a lick of sense when you bother to think about it. The ship has been stranded for how long? 150+ years and ... THEY'VE WAITED LONG ENOUGH. Saru charges into the nebula like a man possessed as if the proverbial clock was about to hit zero. :lol:

For what it's worth, kudos to Doug Jones. He does a phenomenal job giving life to Saru under all that make up. I enjoyed seeing him out from under the prosthetics.

jackoverfull and Jadeb like this.
  13. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah, forgot about it. Thanks!

14. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Doug Jones could turn the cheesiest Trek fan film script into gold. He's that good.

Deledrius likes this.
  15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I gave it a 9. Solid performances from everyone involved. Props to Bill Erwin for Su'Kal. Lotta of good scenes for Culber, Saru and Burnham. Nice bit of action for Book. Great "haunted house" setting. And an unexpected cause for the Burn.

Harsh. It's not like he had control over his action.

Nah, she'd have to lose control off he ship to children, hippies and every random passenger to be that.
    Who said anything about it being someone on the ship? There an entire Starfleet out there looking for thirty pieces of silver.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    Tim Thomason and PiotrB like this.
  16. Yistaan

Time to put that to the test by having Saru go back to the 23rd century and take part in the events of Spock's Brain, Trials and Tribble-ations style.
    Even Captain Riker, the man who saved the Federation from the Borg, lost control of the Enterprise to a bunch of petty Ferengi criminals in Rascals.

17. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Kara: "Brain and brain, WHAT IS BRAIN?!?!?"

Saru: "The main organ of the central nervous system of all known verterbrate species. I realize your society has been forced to exist underground and your access to the most recent scientific knowledge outside your solar system has been...somewhat limited by the restrictive nature of your deep space travels, but rest assured we do know what a brain is and can tell you."

Kirk: "That's not what she meant."

Saru: "But...is it not for the best to inform these women so that we may facilitate better relations?"

Scott: "Sir, who the bloody Hell is this?"

Nyotarules and Tim Thomason like this.
  18. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I think Lorca oversold the concept to Burnham. In another life, he'd be a salesman. Technically it was possible for the Spore Drive to do those things, but it also ended up leaving Stamets in a catatonic state for a while.

It's the equivalent of pushing a 24th Century Starship passed Warp 9.9 for very long. Technically possible, but you'd pretty much wreck the ship.

I think this makes sense given that it's the 32nd Century and travel between quadrants was common for centuries by that point. So the Spore Drive would still have an advantage over Warp Drive, but not as much of one.

Yeah, I agree. It's pretty much a case of: early in the first season the writers were still thinking about all the possibilities for what the series could be. By the third season, it's pretty much settled into what it is.

Plus time and universe hopping have been banned by the Temporal Accords, so that legally limits Discovery now to just jumps across space.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    Deledrius and SolarisOne like this.
  19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

You should watch your back around guys with a power level like Su'Kal's. (just saying)

20. Yistaan

The Borg don't watch their back. Having the power to destroy all dilithium everywhere in the galaxy is something that must be assimilated to attain perfection.

Everyone's wondering where the Borg are in the 32nd century. They're going to find out when a Borg drone shows up out of nowhere and assimilates Su'kal, granting the Borg power to now destroy all dilithium powered ships whenever and wherever they want! :borg:

Vance: Where's the Burn causing Kelpien?!

Burnham: Oh, he went with that nice cyborg who showed up. I think he'll take good care of Su'kal. He told Su'kal that resistance was futile.

Vance: ...

Deledrius likes this.