Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 3x08 - "The Sanctuary"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Dec 2, 2020.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

7.7%
  2. 9

14.8%
  3. 8

26.0%
  4. 7

26.0%
  5. 6

13.0%
  6. 5

5.3%
  7. 4

3.0%
  8. 3

1.8%
  9. 2

0.6%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

1.8%
  1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    If I had to guess I'd say they're both Janet Kidder but the lighting and angle on the viewscreen shot are different.

2. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Forget the nose, the cheeks definitely look different.

I thought it was a different character for a short while after which I realized with astonishment that it was supposed to be the same person. Even the acting is not exactly the same.

3. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lighting aside, they definitely messed up keeping her hair consistent.

4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Lighting can do a number on how the same actor looks from one shot to the next.

Locutus of Bored and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  5. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Yeah, a change in make-up can help too.;)

6. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

You could be right. Of course it’s also possible that the Orion makeup job is just really bad. Not sure what happened to Disco’s makeup crew. I really liked what they did with the Tellarites and Andorians. The Orions just look really bad, plastic and fake.

Tyr and Jadeb like this.
  7. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Somehow, Enterprise has done the best Orion makeup.

8. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It does say a lot when literally 1960s Orion makeup in the original series looks a lot better than here.

9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did we see an Orion in TOS? O_o

10. eschaton

Just the dancing girl from The Cage. I don't even think it was canonically established that she was an "Orion" until TAS.

Edit: Also the sidekick of Garth of Izar from Whom Gods Destroy.

arch101 and 137th Gebirg like this.
  11. fireproof78

Oh, right, thank you. I had forgotten that part.

In any case, my eyes must need adjusting since the Orions look fine to me...:shrug:

SolarisOne likes this.
  12. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Viridian is a blue-green pigment. Its a play on the fact that the chain is an alliance of blue and green aliens

SolarisOne likes this.
  13. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

A nice planetary adventure, but still nothing to write Kwejian about.

Things I enjoyed:
    • The character bits between Michael and Book, Culber and Philippa, and the Two Gay Space Dads and Adira.
    • That this was mostly a planetary adventure with little of The Burn arc, which by this point in the show I should care about but don't.
    • Love, love that Michael is in a relationship with someone that makes her smile. She deserves happiness and I love how at ease she is with Book.
    • Culber is an awesome doctor. I love that he doesn't take any shit. Of course, he's with Paul... so he's had some practice with obstenent personalities.
    • Saru didn't give a motivational speech before the crew did anything. Although... why does every captain now need a "catchphrase"?
    • I like all the Adira scenes. But wouldn't 23rd Century folks be used to non-binary pronouns?
    Things that bugged me:
    • Tilly acting more like Saru's yeoman instead of his Number One. Why is she responsible for scheduling his appointments?
    • The show trying to hard to convince us the Federation NEEDS to be brought back by making everything so black-and-white... i.e. the Chain is just evil, cause slaves and Rancoring people that fail them. Maybe it's because I question a message that says we should return to some mythical "golden age", especially in today's political climate. It's the same issue I had with the new Star Wars trilogy. I liked that TLJ asked the question of whether the Jedi and the Empire should even be brought back. Wish Disco did that more with the question of the Federation.
    • I'm sick of the CW Superhero/Teen drama staging. Everyone just stands on their marks pontificating while the camera keeps moving. Give everyone some biz in these scenes. Make them exist in these spaces.
    • Trek has moved on from bumpy foreheads and noses to shinny skin color.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  14. Yistaan

That's because they probably are literally plastic: https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/janet-kidder-star-trek-discovery-osyraa-villain-green-skin

Kidder adds that unlike some of the Orions of the past — like Susan Oliver or Yvonne Craig in TOS, or Rachel Nichols in Star Trek 2009 — this isn't just green body paint. "That's a full prosthetic head," Kidder says. "It takes about four hours to put on!"

No wonder Osyraa looks so different between scenes. They were probably figuring things out. Maybe they wanted to spare actually painting the actress, but if it takes 4 hours to put it on that's not really an improvement. Kidder's natural beauty isn't coming across through that prosthetic head, and Orions are supposed to be very alluring.

15. eschaton

For some reason with the exception of Romulans/Vulcans, Kurtzman Trek just loves to put everyone in a full-face silicone mask, rather than individual "bits" as is needed.

This is taking it to an absurd conclusion, as there was nothing on her face even outside the norm of human variation. I actually wonder if part of the reason she came across as so flat is because she couldn't emote properly through the mask. You need a top-notch actor like Doug Jones to pull it off.

16. IMC Headquarters

IMC Headquarters Screencaptioning Addict Premium Member

And a conscientious film lab tech restores her natural skin color and wonders how she got so green in the first place...

Jaster, Turtletrekker and NCC-73515 like this.
  17. Yistaan

Yeah I read that story. :lol:

18. fireproof78

Yeah, I'm reading that and looking at Vina's make up and thinking that looks more fake than Osyraa on some level.

It's not perfect but it still works.

19. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

It's not easy being green...

Jaster likes this.
  20. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

That was one of my favourite episodes of Discovery.
    Had a nice plot that could have been a stand alone Trek episode but also fit in nicely and the quieter moments were good and again showed that Discovery has a fine crew when given a bit of screen time.
    The question of Adiras pronouns was wrapped up in a really nice and no fuss way and was as good a way as possible to do it.
    I still dont like Georgiou but at least her scenes gave Culber some quality lines and everyone else had good parts and moments in the episode

AND best of all when the chips were down and the most dangerous alien in the galaxy needed defeating did the real hero of the U.S.S. Discovery step up
    [​IMG]