Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 3x02 - "Far From Home"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Oct 21, 2020.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - I had hope and this episode delivered.

13.5%
  2. 9

21.7%
  3. 8

29.5%
  4. 7

19.8%
  5. 6

8.2%
  6. 5

3.4%
  7. 4

2.9%
  8. 3

1.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 - Burn!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm giving that episode a 5. It was ok, but I kinda felt after Discovery goes through the Wormhole we should have gotten a little more "ummph" as a resolution to that cliffhanger. The stuff with Suru, Tilly, and the inhabitants they found left me with a sense of "why should I care" even though it did play up to Giorgeu's storyline of not doing things the starfleet way. Still, I guess maybe I was looking for more background information, like what planet they were on, what is going on, stuff like that. I left that episode feeling like I really didn't learn anything and it stalled to find out more next week. However, seeing Burnham on the viewscreen and revealing that Discovery had come a year after she did was probably the most important information of this episode.

There were good things about it however. Detmer has a storyline this season it looks like and I'm intrigued. I still really like the interplay between Jet and Stamets, and the storyline between Hugh and Paul this season is already great. We're seeing Culber do more Doctor work and I loved his line "I need you alive so I can kill you". That chemistry that we briefly saw in Season 1 with the tooth-brushing scene has finally made a comeback and I'm excited to see where it goes. I also liked how Rhys and Bryce got more dialogue. It looks like the writers are trying to make a push to make this be a more well rounded crew.

Still, I found the plotline to this episode kinda boring. I know it's early and I appreciated a Discovery only story, but considering how last season ended, I feel like there could have been so much more.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Noah_23 and NCC-73515 like this.
  2. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's like in Back to the Future II where Doc Brown says the '54 Ford will rip right through his '83 DeLorean like a piece of tin foil. They built the 23rd century ships alot hardier than the 24th century ships because they couldn't rely on their shielding and deflectors to come through in a pinch. 22nd century ships with their polarized hulls and no shields are even tougher.

3. Bollie74

Bollie74 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The actress got added to the credits at the beginning which is cool.

DEWLine likes this.
  4. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Another problem is that we only have 13 episodes this season, so a lost one is more of a loss than in the old seasons with 20+ episodes :(

5. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Human beings bust balls and are minor assholes to each other all the time. It’s not dehumanizing. It’s how people behave in real life. These are supposed to be people, not saints...and for that, I’m grateful.

I think there are greater things in the world to be indignant over, to be honest.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Another thing, the little detail of Saru bringing Tilly along to disarm people was brilliant. I hope he becomes permanent Discovery captain, he deserves it.

And I loved seeing him use his poison barbs offensively for the first time.

7. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked this one. A lot. Much like “New Eden,” it felt a lot like a classic frontier TOS episode. Simple story, lots of witty banter between the crew, scenery chewing villain, and a countdown to avert disaster to the ship, not to mention some good old-fashioned ass-kicking. Great focus on the Discovery crew...and an emotionally uplifting ending that was well-earned. This kind of Star Trek is my bag.

This could be a really great season in the making.

9/10

8. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    TNG, DS9 and ENT each came into their own with their respective Season 3. Let's hope that DSC follows that.

SolarisOne, Vger23 and Uhura's Song like this.
  9. Uhura's Song

Uhura's Song Captain Captain

Yep.

TNG1<TNG2<TNG3. Ditto for DS9. IMHO.

I liked ENT early on more than most (including the theme song!), but there was a lot of cringe in there as well.

Hope this is the best year of Disco. I have liked the first half of S1 & S2 much more than the back halves. Especially S2. Would love this one to peak at the end.

Noah_23 and Vger23 like this.
  10. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

DS9 season 2 had so many great episodes though. I thought it came into its own from Duet onward.

CaptainWacky and SJGardner like this.
  11. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Season 2 was - overall - a big improvement over Season 1 even with "Duet(DS9)" being such a standout episode.

SJGardner likes this.
  12. Admiral Jean-Luc Picard

Admiral Jean-Luc Picard Commander Red Shirt

I can buy this on the pre-shields era starships. The NX-01 for example. Even then, we saw the ship's hull torn up pretty easy in a lot of episodes. The same goes for, well, just about any starship where the visual effects allowed the audience to see hull damage.

When the ship punched through the planet chunk, I was almost laughing. It should have just smashed apart like Voyager in "Year of Hell, Part II." When the ship crashed, I was thinking of the Ent-D saucer in Generations and Voyager in "Timeless."

Kaelef likes this.
  13. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

Same as last week, good but not great. So a solid 6.

I liked it. But it fully re-enforces something I started to realize last week, Burnham is a better character without the Disco crew and they are better without her. And that’s not to slight SMG AT ALL.

Jet Reno is such a fun character, they really need to have more of her.

Gorgeiou with pieces of Leyland on her boot was kinda funny-gross.

The parasitic ice never really felt threatening. Using it as a threat without showing what it could do beyond grow was weak. The generic bad guys...were generic.

they still hug and cry too much.

Is anyone else not getting the “next week” preview?

Phoenix219 and KennyB like this.
  14. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I disagree. The initial treatment of Reg Barclay was far more dehumanising and was pretty much sustained bullying. La Forge didn't like reg, Riker wanted him gone instead of figuring out why a crewmember was struggling, crewmembers were dismissive of reg's ideas and talked over him and Picard even used the shitty nickname the crew had given reg.

And what was the reason for this? The fact that Barclay had anxiety and struggled to make friends. It basically takes barclay saving the ship for people to show him any respect. As someone who identifies with aspects of Barclay it was pretty shit to see our heroes treating someone so poorly for not fitting the perfect starfleet mould.

15. rhllot

rhllot Captain Captain

knowing that V'Draysh means federation I suppose that V'Draysh is the most important successor state of the federation today, so I think that the Earth, vulcan, tellar prime and andoria are part of V'Draysh

16. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

I'm usually an easy 8 and frequent 9, but a few things bothered me about this episode. The Stamets story line made no sense within the framework of the story, I mean it's not like they didn't have qualified personnel to go insert new cartridges without being fresh off an induced coma and near fatal injury; could've been a lower decks situation, not just a blood and guts shoveling extra cleaning up after Control. And then the ice parasites, the worst kind of device, simplified as a plot trope without investigating what the heck its composition and nature might be. Hopefully Detmer's "concussion" gets addressed further as well. Then the two-dimensional bad guys and resolution seemed a bit too pat, and I really felt nothing about that wannabe Starfleet technician being killed. Hey, maybe it's the Biden-drumpf debate hangover, but this easy mark has to go 7 this time, afer a wonderous first episode...

Ometiklan, Kaelef and NCC-73515 like this.
  17. rhllot

rhllot Captain Captain

I hope that the V’draysh are both as similar and as different from the federation as the Russian federation and the Soviet union!
    Now it could be a more militarized and isolationist state

SolarisOne and Lord Garth like this.
  18. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I think what's left of the Federation and whatever of it became the V'Draysh are two different things. I see the V'Draysh being the Main Enemies in Discovery. They'll be DSC's version of the Borg or Dominion.

19. rhllot

rhllot Captain Captain

maybe the V’draysh just want to live in their territory and don't want to know anything about what happens outside.
    people who still believe in the federation are seen as crazy people who still want the rebuilding of a state that no longer exists.

20. rhllot

rhllot Captain Captain

just imagine a group of 17th century tsarist russians travel to the present and tell putin that he has to crown a romanov as absolute monarch