Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 2x07 - "Light and Shadows"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Feb 28, 2019.

?

Hit it!

1. 10 - A perfect score. It's only logical.

11.2%
  2. 9

24.9%
  3. 8

28.8%
  4. 7

20.0%
  5. 6

6.3%
  6. 5

5.4%
  7. 4

1.0%
  8. 3

2.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 - A waste of time.

0.5%
  1. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

They sorta remind me of Vians now.

2. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I was thinking the same thing. But they always looked kind of similar.

3. Push The Button

I so want to see those blue metallic singing flowers again. They made Spock smile.

Deledrius, burningoil, PiotrB and 5 others like this.
  4. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

I think I'd prefer it if they didn't have that nose part.

5. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I’m guessing Spock wants to go to talos because their powers can help fix his brain

SpocksOddSocks likes this.
  6. MvRojo

Did those disappear when the Talosians ended the illusion of the camp and survivors? I can't remember, or they might not have shown it.

7. Xerxus

Xerxus Commander Red Shirt

My Fanon is that all the empty space is artistic license for decks and bulkheads. Those layers are just turned off so we can see the turbolift shafts.

8. Push The Button

That pendant is slightly different from The Keeper’s in The Cage, which almost looked like a Mercedes hood ornament.

Deledrius likes this.
  9. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

What’s a Sentinel doing there?

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  10. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

There were a couple of cool moments in there, but the time technobabble and Stamets stuff just felt like a load of Voyager nonsense to me. Not keen on that direction.

At least the silly Tyler situation was acknowledged. But that just made it seem even goofier. Mount was the saving grace of those segments. I really wanted Pike to kill Tyler and was sad he didn't. Don't tease me like that, Discovery.

The Spock scenes started off weak, with the awkward childhood flashback, but, surprisingly, ended up being the better part of the ep. This might have been Frain's best work, I thought. SMG was good, too.

Overall, the anomaly stuff felt like a bit of a time-filling runaround. Necessary to the season, maybe, but not much on its own.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Longinus, Deledrius and Thowra like this.
  11. Push The Button

Discovery’s version of The Brewery from JJTrek. You just grit your teeth and try not to think about it too much.

12. MvRojo

The one on the right looks like it could be a woman.

13. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

This was Burnham's best episode of the season.

Amanda must be pissed about Sarek having Burnham take Spock to Section 31. Leland definitely got Burnham to let her guard down around Section 31. First by having assigned Tyler to Discovery earlier, and now by acting all sympathetic. She didn't trust Georgiou, but her mistrust was aimed in the wrong direction.

14. Tuskin38

There is a female one in the trailer

PiotrB and Lord Garth like this.
  15. thribs

Finally! They mention that the Empress knows the next 10 years of Prime history.

16. thribs

Three dots? Is it Brainiac? :)

17. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hrrm...yeah, I'm going with a seven this week. It was a decent episode, but not one of Discovery's better ones.

I guess I'll start with the A plot - Burnham's search for Spock finally drawing to a close. I thought that this was - generally speaking - well done. SMG put in an above-average performance for her (aside from the very beginning of the episode). I enjoyed seeing Amanda again as well. I felt like Sarek's decision to not just turn Spock in, but turn him over to Section 31 made little narrative sense though - it just happened because the plot demanded it. And after that discussion it's very, very hard to see why Amanda would ever stay with Sarek. Not sure how I feel about finding out that Spock is...erm..."special" either. I liked seeing Georgiou's character deepen a bit, though I felt like - once again - people were being dragged along a bit by the needs of the plot rather than anything which was grounded in the characters.

As for the B plot - holy hell was there a lot of technobabble! I appreciate that this plot helped to build trust between Pike and Tyler, but that's really just about all I appreciate about it. Otherwise it just was a bunch of flashy graphics and plotted way, way too goddamned fast.

lawman, Thowra and Jadeb like this.
  18. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

I hope so but thought that one could be a dude as well. None of them should be dudes.

Lokiberry likes this.
  19. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Keeper sure has bulked up.

20. Tuskin38

The talosians were played by women, but the characters themselves were male.

The one on the left here appears to be played by a woman

[​IMG]