News Star Trek: Discovery’s AR Wall Virtual Set

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by AutoAdmin, Jul 19, 2021.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, but insisting that it is obvious is not always the case for everyone. For some they actually have to hunt for these bits that stand out to you. People complain about green screens and what not but it is not something that I noticed terribly in most films. And, I've never been to New York so I have no idea if a location is right or not.

But, the larger point is treating something as obvious and then being surprised by people not finding it obvious is quite odd to me. So, I guess we all learned something.

2. Grizzlor

Grizzlor Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I felt the scenery in Mandalorian was amazing, it all looked so real. As for use in Trek series, I mean, they were doing this anyway, just in front of green screens and rendering it in post.

As for the "New York" discussion, NYC has distinct lighting that you won't find anywhere else. It's a mixture of the longitude/latitude, buildings, and pollution, that is almost never replicated. That plus intricate things like sidewalks, and the way the stoneface/concrete on the buildings are "weathered." Moreover, it's funny, whenever they shoot elsewhere and say this is New York or Boston or whatever, aka the Northeast, I can tell instantly when it isn't. Again, having lived here, it's a variety of things like the position of the sun, the humidity, foliage, whatever. They normally cannot get the lighting just right.

Isaac Lawrence likes this.
  3. fireproof78

More my point is that a) it's not obvious to all, anymore than a green screen is obvious to all. Sorry, it just isn't. You have an eye for those details and I do not. Obviously.

4. fireproof78

Clearly not, but that's OK. Appreciate the full explanation and such. The use of Volume and Stage Craft or being on location is not obvious to me. That was my only point. It is very rare that such things stand out to me.

5. fireproof78

I have zero interest in subjecting myself to the Mandalorian again. So, no, I will not. And I will take your word for it that it is obvious.

6. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Better than the old ways of crappy looking sets, even green screens with bad cgi.
    Tech is always getting better, there will be new stuff coming out sooner or latter.

publiusr and KennyB like this.
  7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I'm sure there were some. Strange New Worlds did some.

8. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

I feel like he THINKS he knows.......but is most likely wrong because he's looking so hard.

9. fireproof78

Well, we all have skills ;)

KennyB likes this.
  10. KennyB

I'm not jumping on anything. I work in the film industry and I cannot see any obvious delineation between the volume and practical set. Using the Unreal Engine software with the camera software also helps the realism. Hopefully Trek is using a similar system and it's not just a huge LED wall.

11. fireproof78

It goes back to the simple use of the word "obvious" as though this particular technology stands out every single time a person watches it. Except, that's ridiculous, to put it mildly. No, it is not obvious to me and the constant drum beating of "It's obvious!" doesn't make that any more true. I'm dismissive of this idea because it is ignoring the fundamental idea that what is supposedly obvious is not true for everyone.

It's not a lack of knowledge that impacts my perception. It is simply how I view the medium.

12. KennyB

You are obviously way smarter than everyone here......I'll just let you go with that. You saw a BTS doc on Disney +.

13. fireproof78

I think he understands just fine.

KennyB likes this.
  14. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

Wow, pot calling kettle.

KennyB likes this.
  15. EnderAKH

Simply that, as an uninterested outside observer on the issue at hand, every post you've made has come off as dismissive of what others are trying to tell you. So the irony of you lecturing others on not making dismissive comments is truly thick.

KennyB likes this.
  16. EnderAKH

No, no I don't think I will. You can't, or won't see it, will rationalize every instance I will quote (because everybody thinks they're righteous), and then attempt to turn it all around on me. And, again as an uninterested in the topic, I don't care enough. You do you, "my guy."

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    KennyB likes this.
  17. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wonder if it would be good for a spacewalk?

18. EnderAKH

See?

Turtletrekker and KennyB like this.
  19. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Get off your high horse Mr. Big brain high and mighty.

Everything you stated about telling when something was using the AR wall or not is an opinion. A majority people out there won’t be able to tell the difference.

Turtletrekker and KennyB like this.
  20. fireproof78

It's not obvious if it must be pointed out.

KennyB likes this.