News Star Trek: Discovery’s AR Wall Virtual Set

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by AutoAdmin, Jul 19, 2021.

1. AutoAdmin

AutoAdmin Machine of Death Administrator

A new news article has been published at TrekToday:

The AR Wall virtual set used by both Star Trek: Discovery and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds was featured in an article...

Continue reading...

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've never seen a show which was made this way. I assume that it does a decent job in making live action characters actually look like they're part of that projected background?

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was pretty flawless in Mandalorian. I had no idea the tech existed/they were indoors. But I guess it depends who's directing.

saddestmoon likes this.
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Annoyed by inappropriate use of the word "Need"
    It works impressively well. They can adjust the field of view in camera so it looks very natural.

saddestmoon likes this.
  5. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

It's similar tech to this:

nightwind1 likes this.
  6. Isaac Lawrence

Isaac Lawrence "NASA’s Kepler Space Telescope" Red Shirt

Yes, for the most part. Think of it this way...

You have this image...

[​IMG]
    In the past that would have been a huge green screen behind them, and they would have had to put the ocean in during post-production. Now with these huge AR Walls (Disney/Lucasfilm calls theirs StageCraft, I believe; I'm not sure if Star Trek has a name for theirs yet... ), but now with these huge AR Walls that background is there at the same time that they're shooting the scene. And in this instance, the clouds in the sky and the water in the ocean are moving as if it were real, because it's essential a video playing.

So it's a time-saver. And with that it obviously has cost benefits too. You don't have to go there any more (wherever "there" is), you just bring it to you. And in certain cases (perhaps many) it helps the actors too, because they don't have to pretend if something is happening in their surroundings because they can actually see it. Or just the surroundings are there in general, and that could help your performance.

Obvious limitations too on the "not having to go there" part. You can do a lot of things with the technology, but you can't do everything just yet. With Star Wars, The Mandalorian does both, they shoot on location and in their Volume with StageCraft. With Star Trek, Strange New Worlds recently shot in New Mexico. So obviously it was something there that they wanted that they felt that they couldn't do back in Toronto with their virtual wall. Likewise, I imagine if there's something that Discovery wanted they would go on location too. Or if they could do everything that they wanted on traditional sets and with their virtual wall in Toronto, then obviously they would do that.

Anyway, eventually we'll get to Holodecks I guess, but we're not there yet. These AR Walls/virtual walls are step one though, I guess. :)

Sci likes this.
  7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Its a revolution. Actors express that it's a superior way to film for them...to be able to perform against something instead of Green or blue screen.

publiusr likes this.
  8. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought I read that the SNW crew was just filming background shots in New Mexico to USE along with this new tech.
    I don't remember them saying the actors were there also.
    :shrug:

9. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Commodore Commodore

It's what they do the vfx team goes to locations to get scans of the areas, and build them in the computer, so you can have any time if day all day.

10. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

And you can have it double as a ship screen

11. captain crow

captain crow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

silver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit
    So they're essentially using an updated version of the rear projection technique with wraparound L.E.D. screens instead of a flat screen with a film/slide projector pointed at its backside.

12. Midquest

Midquest Captain Captain

This is exciting. But I'm also cautious. The use of this tech in the Mandalorian worked pretty well in some situations, but it sometimes left something to be desired, as it made many outdoor locations look like what they were--a small stage with a backdrop, not unlike old planet sets in Star Trek. And it made indoor locations look distractingly digital. The technology is revolutionary, but it's not yet able to replace a location shoot or good physical set. I hope it isn't used to do so.

However, it's a massive leap beyond greenscreen, eliminating the lighting issues, diffuse haloing, and other tells that often occur. And of course it seems to vastly improve actors' experiences. So, I'm reasonable optimistic?

Sci and Isaac Lawrence like this.
  13. fireproof78

Only if you're looking for it I guessed.

14. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

I honestly couldn't tell.

15. DaveyNY

Me neither ... but then I don't watch a show to purposely look for it's flaws.

KennyB, antinoos and fireproof78 like this.
  16. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Commodore Commodore

Better than the sound stages for tos, tng and the others..

ATimson and KennyB like this.
  17. DaveyNY

Again, your "stating the obvious" remark to me, indicates that you seem to be purposely looking for things that stand out while you watch the show.

I'm most always so involved with the story and characters that things like that just don't come into my wheelhouse.

That's the way I've watched every Star Trek episode since day one in 1966.
    Even back then, the cheesy sets didn't register in my mind till it they were actually pointed out to me at the first Trek Con I attended at the NYC Statler Hotel back in "72.

fireproof78 likes this.
  18. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

Man that’s arrogant. This makes it sound like the person you’re replying too isn’t looking for high quality either.

19. DaveyNY

Heh ...

You just spent no small amount of time writing a somewhat long diatribe about it ...
    (as well as going out of your way to mix in a few arrogant, side-ways, disparaging remarks toward me)

Soooo ...
    Still seems to me, that that alone proves you spend more of your efforts dissecting what your watching, rather than just enjoying it.

(and apparently enjoy being rather judgmental toward anybody who doesn't adhere to your way of doing things)

Good luck with that...
    :shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    Turtletrekker likes this.
  20. fireproof78

It isn't obvious to me so mileage will vary I guess. :shrug: