Star Trek Discover failure before the first episode :(

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Orignal Trek Fan, Sep 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orignal Trek Fan

Orignal Trek Fan Cadet Newbie

Star trek Enterprise could have easily been a success had they stayed with the tried and true star trek theme. Instead they tried to make the show more appearing to new audiences (NoN-Trekkies) and devoting much of the series to a futuristic out of time period plot. The last episode of star trek enterprise was a final slap in the face and the slamming of the coffin lid shut on the series.

When I heard about Star Trek Discovery - I thought.... Here at last we are going to have star trek series which reaches back into all that was good about the star trek and the original time period (10 years before). Progressive Hollywood has final learned its lesson not to mess with traditional star trek core values and cannon. We going to get a new star trek series that does not have the short comings of enterprise or the convoluted lets rehash everything in the new non-prime star trek movies.....

But NO... It was all just a hopeful fantasy.... The nightmare is forming even now...

Just exactly what are we going to get with this new star trek series... Out of the mouth of co-creator Bryan Fuller and Heather Kadin executive producer:

" By June 2016, Fuller had "met with a few actors, and it's an interesting process. There's a few people that we like and we want to carry on what Star Trek does best, which is being progressive. So it's fascinating to look at all of these roles through a colorblind prism and a gender-blind prism". A month later, Kaden clarified that the series would feature minority, female, and LGBTQ characters, with the latter being of particular importance to Fuller. "

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Discovery#Premise)

And there you have it! True and traditional star trek fans! The ultimate slap in the face!

I won't be watching this new start trek...

Set phaser to kill!

2. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wait and watch it first before you dismiss it.

3. Ovation

Ovation Vice Admiral Admiral

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

Oh wait. You're serious.

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

4. Pondslider

Pondslider Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Star Trek on TV has always tried to be progressive. It seems like a weird thing to just have a problem with NOW.

5. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

6. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Uh.. I mean...huh? :cardie: The franchise has already featured minority and female characters (probably not as much as it should have, but it has) and should have had LGBTQ characters before now, especially since Trek is known in some circles as a supposedly "progressive" show. I don't know if Discovery will be good or not (although I'm very hopeful), but regardless having a diverse cast isn't one of the ways it could fail.

7. johnjm22

johnjm22 Captain Captain

I always find these posts to be hilarious.

You're not going to watch the show because the cast is diverse? LOL.

8. Kevin Wolff

Kevin Wolff Captain Captain

I always assumed if one was a Fan of Trek, one was above such race/gender/sexual orientation bias, or at least willing to keep an open mind. At least in reading the replies to this thread I see that is still the case.
    Set phasers to tolerance.

9. φ of π

φ of π Captain Captain

Well as long as there's no interracial kissing, right? After all, we don't want to imply that a future free of bigotry and prejudice is actually free of bigotry and prejudice.

10. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's right, there must be no interracial kissing. A Vulcan and a human? That's just sick!

11. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't call a series that got 98 episodes and pretty good reviews overall for it's third and fourth seasons 'a failure' in today's or the TV production environment it was produced in 10+ years ago.

Your premise is the failure here.

12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's a petition with 4 (of a target of 100) signatures for you to sign to show how much you hate a show that's not even been cast yet. It's in dire need of more people to spit the dummy out for no good reason.

14. T'Nara

T'Nara Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not sure what the rant is all about - to me the show makers seem to be saying the right things.
    I thought Star Trek is a show that portrays a future full of ideals, in which of course all sorts of people will be accepted as they are. We should be saying hurrah that more diverse crew will be shown.

Also I wouldn't say ENT wasn't a success. It has successfully attracted many die-hard fans (I'm one of them).

And why not give the Discovery makers the chance before shooting them down. It can only be good that there is more Trek show coming.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  15. aloha62

aloha62 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I would say that the OP is right in regards to questioning the line 'what Star Trek does best, which is being progressive', my personal belief is what Trek did best was escapism and pewpewpew in space. But that's just IMHO. As I have previously mentioned storytelling should come before all else and excessively focusing on any other goal where it's action, being 'progressive' or trying to be edgy will ultimately be a detriment.

I once brought up Torchwood as an example of that but we will have to wait and see how it goes, currently my greater concern is the awful design choices made so far and the lack of confidence they leave.

16. DeepSpaceYorks

DeepSpaceYorks Commander Red Shirt

Keep women, foreigners and deviants out of my beloved Trek! :brickwall::lol:

17. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

After reading what you find concerning about this new show, and what you find unacceptable about Fuller's comments, I highly suggest you barricade yourself inside and don't leave the house for a while.

You know, these people exist outside of TV, right?

18. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Premium Member

Yeah how dare they trade traditional Trek values against stuff like including people from minorities! That was never what Star Trek was about!

19. cultcross

cultcross We truly were a song of ice and fire Moderator

While looking Star Trek for the excitement and the space battles is not a bad thing, it has always at least tried to be more than that. It has stumbled, and made some pretty lacklustre attempts, and has generally skirted by on reputation rather than substance in this area, but it has tried, and has prided itself on trying.
    You mention Torchwood, which took the inclusiveness to a very high level in that almost everybody is portrayed as pansexual and polyamorous, but I'd also point out that Torchwood nevertheless achieved Children of Men, which imho it's one of the best genre offerings of the last decade. It also had some of the most terribly written stuff in the Doctor Who canon. The point being, the progressiveness and inclusiveness of the show doesn't affect whether it can tell good stories or not. But it is a worthwhile goal to pursue for the sake of those affected by being constantly underrepresented on TV.

m.lp.ql.m, Balok's Decoy and Sci like this.
  20. Michael

Michael In alignment with canon Moderator

This thread was a failure even before the first post. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.