Star Trek Continues - To Boldly Go (Parts I & II)

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Firebird, Aug 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Wasn't Vic at all...Canadian Sci-Fi writer Robert J. Sawyer penned both parts........and you can tell he knows his Trek.

bkmyers likes this.
  2. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Indeed you can; it's packed with references (one particular in-joke nod to 'Where No Man Has Gone Before' amused me). Loved it.

3. 9gs

9gs Commander Red Shirt

Vis is listed as story credit as is Kerwin, and Sawyer. Teleplay is by Sawyer

bkmyers likes this.
  4. Samuel

Samuel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought it was an incredible episode. The growing sense of menace regarding Lana including Kirk connecting events to the events several episodes earlier.

5. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*****SPOILERS!***********

I hope it's okay to discuss spoilers since the episode has been released on You Tube.

Just saw Part 1. I really enjoyed it. I hate to see this show end and it is in my head canon the true final season of TOS. There was a lot of goodness in Part 1. Liked the mention of Section 31, liked the return of the mutants/espers, and the return of the Romulan commander. I even liked Kirk saying 'punch it', as a nod to Abrams Trek.

The episode reminded me a lot of ENT's Augments arc and Lana's speech reminded me of Khan in "Space Seed". I wish Kirk had pointed that out. I'm iffy about giving the Romulan Commander a name. I'm not that big into the Diane Duane Romulan novels, but I guess it was cool giving them a nod as well. The Spock-McKennah romance seemed left field, a la Chakotay and Seven, and I got the feeling that McKennah is not making it out of episode 2, but we'll see.

Looking forward to seeing how this series wraps up. If CBS had any sense they would canonize this, allow the Continues folks to continue unimpeded, or at least cast them on Discovery.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  6. HarryM

HarryM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Really really good. I think it is STC's best episode. Can't wait for Part 2!

bkmyers likes this.
  7. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    I'm liking the sort of "full-circle" approach Sawyer took to the story of the finale - reminds me of TNG beginning and ending with Q and "humanity on trial." The five-year mission began and ends with the "Espers."

Samuel likes this.
  8. Galaxy

Galaxy Captain Captain

Brilliantly done.

bkmyers likes this.
  9. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    Just confirmed with the STC crew on Twitter that Andy Farber is only scoring To Boldly Go - Part II. The only original cues in this episode were written by Vic.

10. HarryM

HarryM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think they need the Talosian's help... ;)

Phoenix219 and werdegast like this.
  11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I am a Robert Swayer fan, but halfway through this episode I am not impressed.

The blatant continuity callouts to post TOS productions are numerous and often heavy handed. Indeed the whole thing is one big continuity callout exercise.

The fight sequences are not well choreographed and look awkward.

The planet set is very nice. Some of the ship shots are very nice.

Very little about this feels like a genuine TOS episode.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Bixby and Ryan Thomas Riddle like this.
  12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Finished the episode. It felt like a filmed version of a generic Pocket Books novel.

What a disappointment. Nowhere near as good as STC’s better efforts.

Bixby and Ryan Thomas Riddle like this.
  13. Samuel

Samuel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I found it amazing how much the actress playing the Romulan Commander looks like JoAnne Linville (original Romulan Commander actress).

I think Kirk has some kind of backup plan already in effect though. Like injecting a slow acting poison into Lana's Vulcan husband while he was in sick bay. I firmly believe her love for him is going to turn out to be her weakness that lets Kirk get the upper hand in the half.

I do feel we'll get to see a battle between the Kongo and the Enterprise/Romulan Commander Bird of Prey which should be exciting. All in all I'm going to really miss this series.

It is also obvious that Captain Kirks reaction to the deaths of the entire crews of the Hood and the Kongo are going to be a major factor in him deciding to take a promotion and get away from the Enterprise at the end of the Five year mission.

14. Zaminhon

Zaminhon Captain Captain

It would be interesting to see side by side images of mother and daughter in uniform, but on the other hand it might break the illusion I have that Amy is a clone :biggrin:. Great casting choice and she's every bit of a commander as her mother.

Loved the music, the Timpani(?) in particular, which really added to the suspense. . It was an excellent episode - classic TOS through and through.

It was sad losing a regular, but I have a feeling that there will be at least one more before Part 2 is over.

15. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

I even laughed out loud when his shirt was torn. It had a couple too many fanwank moments, but overall very enjoyable.

Q2

KennyB likes this.
  16. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Oh, McKennah's a goner for sure. And this episode telegraphed exactly how: Lana will make Spock the one who vaporizes her (or, to really twist the knife, gives her the Vulcan death grip). He then has every reason in the universe to do what he does next.

And then Kirk will have no choice but to kill her, her husband, and all the Espers. Maybe Palmer, Smith and even the Romulans bite it too in the process. And that massive body count, on top of all the other ships lost, will be the last straw that drives Kirk to don the penguin suit - an overwhelming burden of grief that can age you ten years in only three.

This last episode's gonna hurt.

17. 9gs

9gs Commander Red Shirt

She is probably a goner. However, it will NOT be a death without meaning (Tasha Yar). She will make the ultimate sacrifice to save someone or the entire ship. I would bet $$ on that. Maybe she ventures into the void and then battles Lana to save everyone.

My biggest problem with the whole episode is the Romulan Commander. Love her. However, NO way a totalitarian military regime gives another command to someone duped out of their greatest military secret. They execute her.

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

If the last episode is a huge downbeat then that will cement it as not being in sync with TOS. It’s hard to envision the TOS writers creating such a thing in 1970.

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Totally agree. This really blew my suspension of disbelief.

That and Spock dispatching secret messages into Romulan space.

Along with Spock having such an intimate a tete-a-tete with McKennah.

I really find it hard to reconcile that Robert Sawyer actually wrote this.

20. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

She's the daughter of the original actress.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.