Star Trek Concordance -- One More Time!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Captain Robert April, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Considering the periphrastic "editor's forward", not much can be expected in terms of a streamlined, professional edit in the story. Honestly, that particular venture is steaming with hubris.

Moreover, I find it questionable that Bjo's work is being used here as a platform to sow the same old venom and bile against the Abrams film despite claims to the contrary.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

See, 'cause then people start to wonder, will he also be tweaking Bjo's work "because it needs it"? :devil:

3. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

And how, pray tell, would I get away with that? The text is Bjo's. Anything I do with it has to be approved by Bjo. Anything that gets sent to the publisher, when one is decided on, gets sent by Bjo.

So, just how am I supposed to pull off this literary sleight of hand?

4. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Gee, I was hoping you might actually answer a straightforward question or two. Oh, well.

5. Captain Robert April

The only way those questions are straightforward is if they're asked of Bjo, since she's the only one that knows what was in her contract and what say Paramount had in the final terms, if any. Anything else is idle speculation.

I've presented the situation to the best of my understanding, based upon how Bjo described it.

6. Therin of Andor

I dunno, ask Jean Airey?

You said: "If Ms. Airey wants to take issue with it, I'm certainly not hiding. I'd welcome the chance to get her impressions of how I did, and if she wants changes, fine, let's talk."

7. Captain Robert April

Big difference between a purely website doodle, which is what that rewrite amounts to, and a fairly high profile for-profit publication which is being overseen by others.

There's no way I could get away with what you're implying, assuming I was even inclined to do so.

8. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Because it's a "purely website doodle" does not make it ethically sound to do what's been done. The fact that it's not a "fairly high profile for-profit publication" does not excuse it either.

9. Therin of Andor

Sorry, but I've read several essays and rebuttals by Jean Airey on how she felt mistreated by Hal Schuster - and she wouldn't dismiss what you did as a harmless "website doodle".

You're asking us to trust you that you're the best man to help Bjo Trimble with revising a revered classic of Star Trek publishing. Forgive us for being just the tiniest bit concerned.

10. Captain Robert April

Judging by the description, what Shuster did was done soley to make a buck, nothing to do with improving the quality of the story, and Airey got nothing. Sleazy on several levels. My little project stared off as just correcting typos and concocting new artwork, and it mushroomed into a rewrite, and I liked the final result so much I wanted to show it off. No pretense about it being the original, in fact it's stated up front that it's not the original. I like to think of it as a cover version. If it makes you feel any better, I'll add a link to Airey's original text to my website.

If I was operating alone and unsupervised, doing my own version of the Concordance, sure, be as concerned as you want, and you'd probably be correct in many of your concerns. My answer would be the same, judge it by the final result, but in this case, my objective is to help put together the book Bjo wants to produce, not necessarily what I'd want to produce. It just so happens that we're going for a common goal, namely a better laid out version with tons more fan art.

11. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

But you don't have Robert St. John's original forward from Zeta Minor. ;)

(If you want that, send me a PM. I transcribed it from my fanzine copy to add it to my text file.)

I'm not sure if I ever thanked you, Capt. Robert April, for e-mailing me your PDF a few months ago. I've made a hobby of collecting editions of the story over the years.

In your defense, the world could use a clean and copyedited version of the story. The text files that were posted, originally, fifteen-plus years ago are in the ballpark, but they're also riddled with errors of spelling, punctuation, even names. (One Lightundan changes name from Raul to Paul and back, for instance.) And some of the changes you've made, like Kirk identifying himself, are defensible; until you pointed out that Kirk never identifies himself to the Doctor, it had never occurred to me. (However, you could argue that Spock's brief mind-meld with the unconscious Doctor very early in the story imparts the Doctor with information about who these people are and where he is.)

But something you mention in your introduction -- rewriting to give Chapel a role -- strikes me as an unnecessary invention, as Airey already gave her a role, though not in The Doctor and the Enterprise proper. Chapel's a major character in "The Lieutenant and the Doctor" (which I spent the better part of five years tracking down at conventions), which puts her onstage, gives her a few scenes with the Doctor on Lightunder (which, in case it wasn't obvious from the name, is meant to be Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover), and sets the stage for Chapel's pursuit of a medical degree (prior to Star Trek: The Motion Picture). I know if I were doing a fan remix for my own enjoyment, I'd work in the Chapel scenes from "TLatD," drop the sex scene, and put the scene of Dorcy and the Doctor playing Jacks (because it's strangely charming) into The Doctor and the Enterprise. But there are more important things to do in life, y'know? ;)

12. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Whoa.

Bjo really, really deserves better than this.

I wonder how she got tricked into this agreement.

13. Captain Robert April

Tricked into what agreement? Just what in the blazes do you think is going on?

And, yes, I would be interested in that Zeta Minor forward.

14. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Allowing an unethical "editor" to potentially edit her work. Perhaps if one were not bragging about illegally rewriting someone else's work, people here wouldn't be so concerned. But Bjo is a legend. And she DOES deserve better.

15. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Sent.

16. Captain Robert April

The difference is that Bjo knows me, you don't, so unclench before you strain something.

As a matter of fact, it was my telling her about my edit of "The Doctor..." that got her attention (her precise words: "I'd love to see a copy. I'm a long-time Dr. Who fan. Are you just a general book fixer-upper?") that really got the ball rolling. And in the interests in full disclosure, I also included a link to the original version.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  17. Therin of Andor

Well, Bjo knows me - and I know she hates being messed with. So my words of caution are well intentioned.

18. Therin of Andor

Hot off the press:

I decided to contact Bjo the minute I read your query - long before things got so tense in this thread - and Bjo just replied!

Bjo Trimble says: "Actually I have answered this question several times on several websites but I don't mind answering again. In general, both John and I liked the new movie. While we deplored the general crash and bash that always must be included in a movie to get the "younger crowd" and we are terribly tired of sulky brooding villains in long overcoats and tattoos, we liked the movie. We thought the moving time-line was far more believable than the silly nexus, and think it was a brilliant way to break away from the over-worked old story-line that was about to kill off the franchise.

"With this concept, a very young Kirk could visit his much older counterpart, or an older Uhura could end up in the younger Uhura's alternative universe. Really a fun idea. The addition of tidbits from the classic Trek series and movies made it fun for us. John cracked up when we saw the tribble in the cage. In all, I see far more hope for the Star Trek franchise than we have had in years.

"Please feel free to share this opinion with others if you wish."

So there you go!

19. Captain Robert April

And the Citadel version of the Concordance was a major case of "messing with" her. The idea here is to rectify that situation.

Again, I don't need to hijack the Concordance to go off on an anti-JJ tirade; there's plenty of threads right here on TrekBBS to satisfy that urge, and I've got the moderator warnings to prove it.

As for her assessment of the move, doesn't change a thing. She'll write what she wants, I'll offer up suggestions, like some asides about how polarizing the film is and why, but in the end, what she wants in the book is what ends up in the book. Editorial content is her doman, I'm strictly on the technical side of the operation.

20. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

-and-
    Are you really the best person for this job?

There are a ton of things I can do (and have the right tools to do them), and yet everyday when my clients bring me things they want done I have to ask myself if I'm really the right person for the job. I know tons of professionals who specialize in things I can do, but are way better at doing them than me. And there are times when ego and the good of a project conflict, and it is in the best interest of everyone that I find someone better for the task.

So again, are you really the best person for this job?

Nothing personal, but if you are looking out for Bjo's best interests, would they be best served by you doing the layout? Or would they be better served finding someone else with actual experience in the area?

It is great to have an I can do that attitude... with your own works. I do that all the time (see something and give it a try). But in this case, this is someone else's work and your stated goal is to bring out the best version possible. Are you putting yourself in the right position to make sure that happens?

Obviously this is between you and her, and she seems to think you're the right person... I'm just wondering if you've asked yourself the hard question yet.

You know, I've always tried to keep all of my work on that side of the copyright divide... I try to stay with the dry facts of Star Trek and it's production rather than the fictional universe.

But even then, one has to keep in mind that there are limits to how far one can go before the owner of a property starts to push back. A good example of this would be The Harry Potter Lexicon (a cautionary tail, I suggest reading the case).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.