Spoilers STAR TREK BEYOND - Grading & Discussion

Grade the movie...

• Total voters
Yeah, I don't really know how to describe why it didn't work for me. It just feels wrong, like hearing music off key.
Fair enough, and I'm not trying to put you on the spot. The pointy ears, I agree, don't work, but the overall effect is actually effective for me.

I'm curious if he had a beard? I truly am trying to understand the disparity, but it maybe a mileage variation. :beer:

Fair enough, and I'm not trying to put you on the spot. The pointy ears, I agree, don't work, but the overall effect is actually effective for me.

I'm curious if he had a beard? I truly am trying to understand the disparity, but it maybe a mileage variation. :beer:

No hard feelings.

I don't recall the one that unmasked having a beard. Nothing wrong with that, although I am curious why they chose to depict the character clean shaven, since most Klingon characters aren't (and the ones in the original movie deleted scenes did have beards).

I did very much like the leather helmet things they had. That was interesting and something new that felt like it belonged. Also, the Klingon scene overall was exciting and well-filmed, even if I'm not sold on the character and set designs.

No hard feelings.

I don't recall the one that unmasked having a beard. Nothing wrong with that, although I am curious why they chose to depict the character clean shaven, since most Klingon characters aren't (and the ones in the original movie deleted scenes did have beards).

I did very much like the leather helmet things they had. That was interesting and something new that felt like it belonged. Also, the Klingon scene overall was exciting and well-filmed, even if I'm not sold on the character and set designs.
I'm just wondering if the Klingons had a beard, like the ones in the deleted scene of ST 09, if that would have made a difference for you?

Still one of my favorite scenes from ST ID.
The original Klingon designs were very cool (without the ridiculous jewelry of course). The finished result was the worst Klingon rendition ever IMHO (including very bad cosplay).
The middle one is probably my favorite, though they don't feel all that different from what we actually got, aside from the jewelry. Which, IMHO, is more of a locality custom, than a broader Klingon custom.

But, mileage will vary and all that.

The original Klingon designs were very cool (without the ridiculous jewelry of course). The finished result was the worst Klingon rendition ever IMHO (including very bad cosplay).

Yeah, I like those better than the final product. Ironically, in reverse, I think the concept art for the Romulans in the '09 movie was really bad, but the final designs in the movie were pretty good.

I'm just wondering if the Klingons had a beard, like the ones in the deleted scene of ST 09, if that would have made a difference for you?

Still one of my favorite scenes from ST ID.

No, I don't think so, since I had no problem with them being clean-shaven. The nose and ears seemed a little off, i guess. The ridges seemed a little too plastic-ey somehow. They looked more fake to me. Finally, putting the ridges behind the ears didn't work period.

Now, I will concede that we've had several variations of the ridge makeup in the past, so I suppose this can work too as another racial variation in the Klingon genome. It's certainly not like we got a completely different alien and were told that it was the same thing and is nowhere near as bad as the transition for the TOS Klingons to the ridged ones was (although, given ENT's explaining that, I have zero problems with it). So, at the end of the day, this is all purely subjective and IMHO.

However, I do think it was a missed opportunity to not show both ridged and smooth Klingons in the same scene, or even bring back the TMP makeup designs.

\
No, I don't think so, since I had no problem with them being clean-shaven. The nose and ears seemed a little off, i guess. The ridges seemed a little too plastic-ey somehow. They looked more fake to me. Finally, putting the ridges behind the ears didn't work period.

Now, I will concede that we've had several variations of the ridge makeup in the past, so I suppose this can work too as another racial variation in the Klingon genome. It's certainly not like we got a completely different alien and were told that it was the same thing and is nowhere near as bad as the transition for the TOS Klingons to the ridged ones was (although, given ENT's explaining that, I have zero problems with it). So, at the end of the day, this is all purely subjective and IMHO.

However, I do think it was a missed opportunity to not show both ridged and smooth Klingons in the same scene, or even bring back the TMP makeup designs.
I agree that they could have done more with it, since we only see the one Klingon without his helmet. Certainly a fun way to mess with the lore but it might also raise more questions since the scene is more brief.

Which brings me to a larger point that ST 4 should really do more with the Klingons and showcase the ongoing tensions that Marcus alluded to in ST ID. The BTS artwork and designs really showcase that there is a lot that could be done in terms of expanding upon the lore and show them in a different light than before.

Whereas I thought it was the best they'd looked since The Motion Picture. I especially loved the costumes and helmets which are my favourite Klingon look ever. These guys aren't going to whine about honor or sing stupid songs, they're going to fight you and kill you.
klingons.jpg

I loved the Klingon look in Into Darkness. They actually felt alien for the first time in a very long time.

Whereas I thought it was the best they'd looked since The Motion Picture. I especially loved the costumes and helmets which are my favourite Klingon look ever. These guys aren't going to whine about honor or sing stupid songs, they're going to fight you and kill you.
klingons.jpg

On the one hand I do like the utilitarianism of it and it seems great as a bit of historical style in the Klingon Empire. On the other hand, the vaguely bird-like mouth piece combined with the beer belly breast plate is a little too reminiscent of the Fifth Element for anyone expecting to be taken seriously. The guy in the overcoat looks great, though.

On the one hand I do like the utilitarianism of it and it seems great as a bit of historical style in the Klingon Empire. On the other hand, the vaguely bird-like mouth piece combined with the beer belly breast plate is a little too reminiscent of the Fifth Element for anyone expecting to be taken seriously. The guy in the overcoat looks great, though.
The overcoat was Abrams' favorite from ST 09 costuming for the Klingons. That's why it made it back.

Not sure I follow the rest but the helmets are still cool.

Finally got round to watching this after STID put me off the reboot series, certainly an improvement over STID and an enjoyable film to watch if your looking for a mindless action flick.
Unfort thats the way the movie industry kinda has gone all sparkles and glitter with no real thought or depth in the story.

Watched Beyond again last night, first time at home, and was a little worried it wouldn't hold up as well as in the cinema. And yeah, the issues with the plot stand out a little more, now I've been given a bit more time to think about them. But those problems ultimately pale in comparison to just how fun and exciting and absolutely lovable this movie is (I still become giddy watching the 'Sabotage' moment!).

So while not perfect, a very healthy A-

I like a lot of the Kelvinverse's aesthetics. The uniforms in particular were an amazing update of TOS'. The Klingons though.... I hate them.

Not just the aesthetics. The actors and emotions are really amazing in those movies! In terms of raw excitement and pure emotion those movies come the closest to my first, original encounter with Star Trek.

Too sad the worldbuilding, logical plot structure and themes were so much lacking. Those movies had the chance to be truly exceptional instead of...just being there.

I re-watched the movie for the first time yesterday, at home. I still think it was a really strong outing. Great character dynamics. Splitting the bridge crew was a brilliant idea. It had humor. It had a few Easter eggs for us longtime fans, but they didn’t overdo it. Krall was an interesting villain. It wasn’t until he attacked Yorktown that I realized he could be a survivor from the Franklin. And of course the visuals…. They were spectacular! Definitely an A+ for me.

Rewatched it a few days ago (got it for Xmas). Same reaction as when I first saw it--enjoyable but a bit too "small stakes" compared to earlier ones (ID, 09 and BEY, in that order, for me). In relative sense (about scope, not quality), like going from First Contact to Insurrection or WOK to Search for Spock. Still, it'll get replayed--my son likes it a lot (first Trek movie at cinema for him).

klingons.jpg

While I liked the Klingon culture from the TV shows and whatnot, agreed that the costumes were good.

Although the new timeline makes me sad, of course, I'll re-watch it... I do all the movies, regardless of how great I think they were. The action in the film was excellent and I agree with RAMA that the details are splendid... but did anyone else think that Krall looked a lot like Megatron? Maybe it's just me.

YES! I can hear Krall in Hugo Weaving's voice from the first Transformers movie - "So unwise..."

Back